Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MIGRATING MAILBOXES IN EXCHANGE 2000 SERVER  (Read 5008 times)

jay_deex3

MIGRATING MAILBOXES IN EXCHANGE 2000 SERVER
« on: April 25, 2005, 04:31:58 PM »
question is im trying to migrate the mailboxes from one exchange server to another....there both exchange 2000 servers, both have service pack 2 installed, both working fine as far as mailboxes be set up with them and workig.....but when i use the migration wizard, and i enter the source server, it comes up with the message :" unable to perform the migration. Please enter a source Exchange server outside of the target exchange organization"....dont understand y its saying that for...any help would be appreciated....thanks in advance..

cigarman

Intermediate
    Re: MIGRATING MAILBOXES IN EXCHANGE 2000 SERVER
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 02:17:53 PM »
    Why do you want to migrate mailboxes from one exch2000 to another since both are Exch2000? The migration tool is for moving from e.g exch5.5 to exch2000 or exch2003.  Anyway to use the migration wizard (migwiz), you need to use the sp3 ver but you are on sp2.

I assume you are on at least AD 2000 domain as exch2000 requires AD.  Do you mean you want to move mailboxes from one administrative group to another exch2000 server hosting a different administrative group?

;)

jay_deex3

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 03:01:23 PM »
    wanna move mailboxes from one server to another...reason is we have gotten a better server so we want all the mailboxes and user data from the old server to be migrated onto the new one...i already have the new one set up with 2000 advanced server, SP4, office 2000, gettin ready to promote it, install exchange w/ SP3....do they need to be in the same doamin or does it make a differnce???
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 03:27:22 PM by jay_deex3 »

cigarman

Intermediate
      « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 03:46:40 PM »
      Ok, I understand why you want to do this now.  Will you be removing the old Exch2000 server from AD?

You use the 3 step process:

1. Move  public folders & system folders(offline address book, Schedule.. etc..) to your new server in the same routing group
      2. Move the mailboxes to same new server
      3. Delete the old server from AD

How to
      1:
      Exch sys manager to replicate folders to new server.  confirm replica folders are synchronised with the source (from old  server)

2:
      Use Exch sys manager or exch task wizard in Active Directory Users & Computers  to move all mailboxes to new server.

3:
      Run the Exch setup program to uninstall the server and remove it from AD, you may want to keep the Exch200 install but just remove it from AD for a rainny day.
      ;D