Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lose Mouse Control, Start Menu Opens, IE closes itself  (Read 3572 times)

brighttigress

Topic Starter

Starter

Lose Mouse Control, Start Menu Opens, IE closes itself
    « on: February 20, 2009, 01:39:47 PM »
    I have a Dell Dimension 4100 which I got cheap on Ebay over a year ago.  It has Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and updates automatically, but the Microsoft website said it's not documented or something so the previous owner may have installed a purloined copy.   I'm using IE 7.02 altho I previously used Opera & loved it, but other browsers I've tried don't seem to work.  Since I got this computer, every so often it goes "nutsy-cuckoo".  I lose control of the mouse and the cursor wanders all over, the start menu opens, other windows like "properties" open, at least one open IE window will close itself, any other IE windows running sort of "freeze" on the taskbar, as does FreeCell, sometimes everything calms down on its own, sometimes I'll just restart.  It used to do this infrequently, but now it's doing it several times a day.  Right now I'm using AVG 8.0, and the Windows XP firewall, although I've used other free antiviruses now & then, also Spybot and various other anti-spyware and antivirus.   I just downloaded & installed Firefox a few minutes ago so I don't know yet if it's going to go "nutsy", but so far so good.  Someone told me they've heard that Microsoft installs "bugs" in computers with "illegal" XP.   I can't afford to buy it.  If I could, I would have and used it to upgrade one of my older cheap used computers, or bought a more expensive used one.  Can anyone help?  I've run just about every free scan on the internet & they all come out okay.   Thank you! 

BatchRocks

Hopeful
      Re: Lose Mouse Control, Start Menu Opens, IE closes itself
      « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:42:18 PM »
      I suggest doing this:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

And follow every instruction.

brighttigress

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 03:50:28 AM »
        Thank you so much!!!   I just finished doing everything and will post as instructed in the computer viruses forum.   Have a great weekend & Think Spring!!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:32:18 AM »
        You may also want to get a legit Windows XP CD as well...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "