Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dos command..  (Read 32450 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Dos command..
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 12:14:29 PM »
It's that old saying. They've been given a fish, not taught how to catch them.

one answer on a test correct generally isn't regarded as "good", anyway.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

billrich

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 09:26:32 PM »
Jesus should have taught the 5000 people how to fish?  

BC,

<<"The feeding of the five thousand has always been one of the most memorable biblical miracles. Although perhaps not as world-changing as the raising of the dead, this apparently practical response to the physical needs of a crowd and the description of how it was done make it a wonderful story. Jesus does not stand over the meager loaves and fishes, then magically transform them into a banquet for thousands. Instead, he starts to break the bread and divide the fish and hand them to the crowd. But as he prays, the bread keeps breaking and the fish keeps dividing until everyone is fed. It sounds like a kind of miraculous sleight of hand.

The original account can be found in the Gospel of Mark">>>

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 09:27:43 PM »
I was in no way referencing the bible.

billrich

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 09:42:13 AM »
BC wrote:

"One answer on a test correct generally isn't regarded as "good", anyway.'

BC  wrote:
"Giving a person the answer to something like this isn't helping them."

I'm sure you are right we don't help the students by doing their homework.

How do we help the students? Provide a link to one of your posts where you helped a student.

Or provide a link to any post where someone on this board helped a student?

Bill in OKC

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 10:03:41 AM »
Give me a link to a post where I imply I have any desire to continue this fruitless discussion.

The fact is a question like this should not require help- referring to notes or previous course exercises.

The reason most of us don't end up assisting students is because they are so terse as to make their particular specifications unclear, and generally regard only full source for their homework as assisting- a view you obviously share.

The fact is- extending this method of assistance beyond batch- show a person a quick-sort routine, and will they instantly understand the algorithm behind it? Probably not. Explain the algorithm behind it exhaustively, and will they be able to write it? Yes. That is what I mean.

help a person with math- do you just give them the answer? No. you explain the mechanics behind arriving at that answer. The idea is helping a student should consist of doing everything but answer the question for them; let them take each logical step.

In an instance such as this the solution is so simple and easily google it is merely a waste of our time to assist in any way but to refer them to their course material, which I would assume would be built properly to teach  them how to perform tasks in questions posed later on during the course.

the original poster hasn't even SEEN your post, so how it helped them is beyond me:

Last Active:     February 21, 2009, 07:09:36 AM

Posted on: February 22, 2009, 01:48:09 AM