Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition BETA...  (Read 22107 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition BETA...
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2009, 09:37:09 AM »
I was thinking about it for a bit, but I think that Microsoft originally started including IE with Windows for more reasons then to increase it's browser market share- I mean, think about it- if you don't have a browser- how can you go an download one? You would need to go and buy one or download one somewhere else and bring it home, much easier with a built-in browser.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

m_260

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2009, 02:18:14 PM »
I was thinking about it for a bit, but I think that Microsoft originally started including IE with Windows for more reasons then to increase it's browser market share- I mean, think about it- if you don't have a browser- how can you go an download one? You would need to go and buy one or download one somewhere else and bring it home, much easier with a built-in browser.

Hmm, if you have working internet i think you can download firefox without internet explorer. Check out this links below:
http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/browser/installfirefoxwithoutie.html
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Download-Firefox-2-0-in-Windows-Vista-without-Touching-IE7-or-Any-Other-Browser-74724.shtml

That requires CMD and some little code  :)

But in a reality, your computer should work right out of the box so that's that.

Dias de verano

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »
If you have a Linux live CD you have a browser.

m_260

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2009, 02:41:21 PM »

And other thin is, I know it is microsoft's browser and microsoft probably wants to use its own products but WHY IE? Couldn't Microsoft not have installed/coded IE into the system and simply gave you some options so you can choose the browser you want instead of having to open up IE the very first time your computer loads to get to the web?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2009, 03:44:03 PM »
I use IE For three reasons:

1. I'm in Windows 7, and a lot of sites dont accept my user agent string, and Firefox's user agent tools are a bit funky, and they wont allow you to install addons. I use IE for getting past these issues.

2. I use IE when some website is really goofed up, and just wont display in FireFox.

3. Most important, I use IE to download FireFox on a fresh install of Windows.

m_260

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2009, 07:58:08 PM »
Win 7 is not at the RTM stage, so i'm gonna say all the programs have not been developed (or should i say formally tested) for win 7.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
I have to say:
I will never go back to Vista.

Windows 7, I have been using since two weeks before this topic started... I think I've done all the testing I can, and theres only one major bug I have encountered, when I plug in a second monitor, my computer crashes....

Also, the Sims 2 wont run, but, I researched this, and I seem to be the only one having this issue, it probably just requires a reinstall.

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2009, 09:44:45 PM »
Without codecs? I bet it's that Microsoft finally decided to include codecs into WMP so that you don't have to go picking up one.

Unpin from taskbar, you can do that for internet explorer for any normal windows operating system. What I meant was you could go to features and disable it so that your PC will never use internet explorer and that there's no sign internet explorer exists unless you renable it.

Unpining from taskbar I think just removes the icon but PC can still access internet explorer, you can still find it and whatnot
Yes that is true, sorry.

And I shouldn't say without codecs...I mean I don't have to find any myself.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2009, 09:30:11 AM »
When I Was talking about integrated browsers- I was specifically referring to Windows 95.

at the time the main two browsers were IE and netscape- I don't believe netscape was free when 95 was released to MS just used their free browser.

I might also note that 95 wasn't exactly feature-packed as far as network tools were concerned.

Obviously your solution to avoid IE works great for XP and up (probably W2k and NT4) but really they (except NT4) include IE already, so may as well just browse to the FF download page.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2009, 09:31:50 AM »
Someday, maybe Microsoft will just start putting FireFox on Windows computers...
Someday...
Maybe...

BC_Programmer:
Did Windows NT 4.0 come with any sort of browser?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2009, 09:34:12 AM »

Did Windows NT 4.0 come with any sort of browser?

Not that I'm aware, at least not on any of the fresh installs I've done... which is only one, admittedly.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2009, 09:35:14 AM »
which is only one, admittedly.
I doubt you would have wanted to do a bunch of those though...

I remember my school had a few NT 4.0 computers, they were a pain, yet, still fun to use. They were mainly used for library catalogue computers.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2009, 09:37:57 AM »
the most intriguing NT would have to be 3.51. I mean, it's win32- but at the same time- it has the windows 3.1 look! In fact, AFAIK Visual Basic 5, Office 95 and 97, and other newer programs will actually run in it- some of them look very strange with the old window style...

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
3.51?
The highest of the 3 series I have ever heard of is Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, my favorite OS.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2009, 09:46:45 AM »
Windows NT 3.51, yes.

Windows NT was a separate line from the get-go, with NT 3.1 being the result of Microsoft's broken dealings with IBM regarding OS/2. NT 3.5, and 3.51 followed.

This is originally how the whole separate lines started- they had 3.1 and it's predecessors for "consumers" and NT mostly for corporate environments.
This was a Pain in the but for everybody- MS had to maintain to distinct codebases, and programmers had to try to keep track of all the subtle nuances between the two implementations of the API. And once windows 95 was released there were two completely separate implementations of the Win32 API. Even now every single function in the API that accepts a string has both a Unicode and an ANSI version, except for those newer API's released in Vista.