Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My E:drive is not reading my dvds . and what is raid controller?  (Read 9734 times)

Jennja28

Topic Starter

Starter

I'm having a problem with my e disc drive.  It's not running any dvd's or the sims 2 when I put them in there.   I'm not sure when the problem started but it had to have happened recently.   I put the discs in and no error message comes up or anything, I just go into my computer and look at the e drive and it doesn't show anything in it and when I click on it, it's like there is nothing in the drive.   

I use windows xp, it's a custom built computer with 512mb of RAM  and IT's AMD

I've tried the gettting rid of lower and upper filters but it didn't help.

can anyone help me?

p.s. I went into device manager and there is a big yellow  question mark next to other devices  then raid controller.   what is a raid controller?
    « Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:09:07 PM by Jennja28 »

Deception

Rookie

Re: My E:drive is not reading my dvds . and what is raid controller?
      « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 11:07:14 AM »
      I always thought E: drive was a Virtual Driver from Daemon tools or MagicDisk?

punsshibaas

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 05:59:38 AM »
      p.s. I went into device manager and there is a big yellow  question mark next to other devices  then raid controller.   what is a raid controller?

Raid controller is related to hard drive raid configuration. A yellow mark next to Raid controller means that the raid driver is missing. The driver will be available on motherboard disc . Your computer is using IDE mode instead of RAid. However. this is not related to dvd drive issue.   

If the drive is able to read cds but not dvds, there is an issue with the drive itself. In device manager , click on the plus sign on cd/dvd drives . what is the name of the drive listed ? double click on dvd drive and check its status. If status say "working " driver is fine .   If you get any error code there , let us know

Jennja28

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 01:57:49 PM »
        The name of the cd/ dvd drive  is  HL-DT-ST-RW GCE-81608

it says it is working properly.   it's so strange cause I do not understand why it's not reading my dvd's, sims 2  but yet it's reading my audio cds.  do you know of what it could be?

punsshibaas

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 07:37:39 AM »
        The issue may be caused due to the lens not able to read dvd but read cds ... different wavelengths are used to read cds and dvds.. reinstall the cd/dvd driver:

1. Right click on HL-DT-ST-RW GCE-81608 >> select uninstall
        2. Restart the computer. the drivers will be reinstalled after a restart 

You may also try special lens-cleaning disc available for your dvd drive to clean the lens. Also check for firmware updates for the drive .  if the issue still persists, it can be a dvd drive issue  ...  :(