Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wanted: Advice for a new computer.  (Read 3779 times)

wishforanswers

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Wanted: Advice for a new computer.
    « on: February 23, 2009, 04:06:50 AM »
    I need a computer that doesn’t use a lot of electricity because I am off the grid and work off a solar system, with a supply of 110v-120volts.  I would like a computer that uses less than 200watts including
    the monitor.

The computer must also work in an extremely dusty dirty environment, (a greasy junk yard in a desert) so I need a computer with at least the accessibility of a desktop. A desktop would be all right, one that doesn’t gut-down too much power. Perhaps my best bet would be to make up a desktop from components.

Although I would prefer to get away from Microsoft, I simply do not have the intellect to accomplish anything with Linux. Dual boot would be nice, because maybe my mind will expand enough so I could fiddle with the Linux. However I would rather be doing other things than fixing computers.  ;D

I have tried the laptop route, however they are not easy to service, (at least for me) and they get so darn hot, you can cook an egg on them.

I still sometimes use my old (1994) IBM Aptiva 486. This is an extremely reliable machine; it has never failed me in 14 years of use. It has been frozen down to minus –40 many times, and still has the original clock battery, and it has been absolutely filthy many times, and it runs like a kitten. It opens and closes lighting fast, just hit the power on/off switch; There is no fiddling around with, START, TURN OFF COMPUTER, and all that windows and gates stuff.

I am not a rich guy, but I will pay good money for a good machine, or should I just stick with Walmart?
    May its all crap now-a-days.
    Unfortunately the old desktop guts down to much power, among other things. So what can I do?

Thanks for any advice.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Wanted: Advice for a new computer.
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:46:31 AM »
    I think with most modern systems you'll need to at least clean them out fairly often in a dusty environment.
    I'll check on some components later on, but for now I'm thinking a Via or Atom based PC with an SSD.  That should be fairly inexpensive and won't have too many moving parts or fans to draw dust and dirt into the machine as it will also not need much cooling.
    How much storage space do you need?  How powerful does this machine need to be?
    i.e. what is the purpose of this build?
    Any size requirements?

wishforanswers

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:38:27 AM »
      As for as cleaning goes, these laptops are hard to clean. I myself can’t get this one apart. I never purchased a good service manual. I have taken the inspection plates off and tried spraying electronic cleaner and compress dust cleaner through it, but I know its still pretty dirty inside. And the key board is starting to get sticky. I wish I could just pressure wash it!

I don’t know about these Via or Atom based PC systems with an SSD. 

How much storage space do you need? 
      Between 100 & 200 Gig. I have only used 50 of the 100 gigs I already have.
      I would still like to learn how to partition the hard, and try a Linux dist.

How powerful does this machine need to be? “Don’t really know.”
      This computer (Acer 5040 )seems to crawl with the following, CPU: AMD Turion 64 ML-32 Processor, BUS Speed:1.800Ghz, RAM:1024 DDR SDRAM, Harddrive: 100 Gig-byte @ 5400 rpm.

This computer is even slow when not on-line, as though Windows is bloated, or something.

I have looked for worms and viruses, updated XP to service pack 3.

I tried to tweaking it with a program called SmokerXp, but once the free trial was over, I had trouble trying to un-install the darn thing.

What is the purpose of this build?
      Here is a typical use. I have a satellite Internet connection that does not seem to give you much bandwidth, it's variable, they are probably throttling it down, although I don’t down load music or movies. This connection was suppose to be faster thank a telephone connection.

I use K-melon or Firefox for my browsers, and might have up to 20 websites open at the same time, maybe with a couple Youtube shows loading up, or I will be listening to the radio on-line and I might be writing in Word at the same time with three or four pieces of writing projects going on, as well as doing work with Photoshop and then of course the AVG might be doing a scan, all at the same time.

Any size requirements? For physical size (Box) NO, however I do move the computer back and forth between the house and shop, perhaps once a month, but I can deal with a desktop as long I it doesn’t use much power. (<200watts total) The computer runs for 5 to 10 hours a day.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 10:23:47 AM »
      That's great, lots of useful info there.
      Few more questions - what operating system would you like?  I know you want to try dual booting sometime, but that can be dealt with later as Linux is free.
      Do you need a mouse and keyboard?
      What's your overall budget?

wishforanswers

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »
        Greetings

With regards to what operating system would you like?
        I am using XP home right now. I have tried my son’s computer with Vista don’t like it.
        I do not like re-learning something that worked fine before.
        I think problem solving was much easier when DOS was king.
        I don’t like the fact that Microsoft licences rather sells a product;
        And that they do not release their proprietorship over products they no longer support…!

My question is this, is there more information and is it easier to partition XP Pro than XP Home? If so I will take XP-pro.

Do you need a mouse and keyboard?
        I have a nice selection that work from the dump and thrift shops.

What's your overall budget? Eight hundred to a thousand Canadian Dollars.
        ( 600 – 800 US or 500 – 600 Euro )

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »
        XP Pro and XP Home are just as easy to partition.
        Difference is, Pro supports the group policy editor, and has a few more features.  A general rule of thumb is, if you don't know what the differences are, you don't need Pro.
        I'll have a look around for some parts soon for you.

wishforanswers

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:03:31 PM »
          Any ideas for a machine that consumes little energy, but can easly be cleaned?

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 11:12:03 PM »
          A shuttle would have the functionality of a desktop, less than a foot cubed and can be taken apart to be cleaned just like a normal desktop machine, and because they are so small, they require a smaller power supply, which allows for smaller Watt ratings on them.

If you are in the US, this link may help http://us.shuttle.com/

The other path however, are the VIA processors that are designed to run in the most minimalistic conditions.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/

But I would stick with the shuttle.

By the way, if you are not so familiar with PSU's...a 350W Power Supply does not mean it uses 350W constantly, it means it can utilize up to, and including, 350W before it is in danger of breaking.

EDIT: just looked further into that website, and this one here, uses an Intel Atom CPU...and uses no more than 36W at full load, and the PSU that comes with the shuttle...only uses 60W at the most!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 01:47:53 AM »
          Any ideas for a machine that consumes little energy, but can easly be cleaned?
          Very sorry, I did start on this but have been busy so haven't had time to finish it.
          I've been looking away from Atom systems now as you stated your Turion laptop was too slow, so I was looking at something with a bit more grunt.
          You need a monitor within this budget, right?

Felix

Rookie
          • Bleh!
            « Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 09:55:15 AM »
            If your looking for a laptop that consumes next to nothing with a 3 hours battery life, consider an Asus EEE or a Maplin miniNote.

You can hook up external hard-disks to both machines, in fact their are a lot of cheap budget laptops on offer from places like Carphone Warehouse, some better than others, I personally prefer the kind like some of the tinier sony's as you can stick them in your pocket when your not using them.. But as for sticking XP or Vista on to one, talk to the hand, I would go with Linux..

Hence the Maplin miniNote being a linux based OS with all of 128Mb of Ram and a MIPS processor.

It's all down to personal preference, what are you looking for in a laptop, speed, functionality or just plain old dirty last forever on a 9v charge?

P.S: If your laptop is so filthy try washing your hands and not eating near your workstation in future!

P.P.S: One of the best cleaning method's, not very technical, hold it upside down and shake it!!
            One important thing to remember is that unless you are exceptionally stupid or exceptionally brilliant, few newsgroup readers will remember your name from topic to topic or from post to post. It's the post that's important, not the poster!