Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: change the default download drive?  (Read 9357 times)

skookum

Topic Starter

Starter

change the default download drive?
    « on: February 28, 2009, 02:44:28 PM »
    Hi,
    How do I change the download default drive from H:/(which I don't have) to C:/?
    I was given this computer from a friend that must have had it connected to a network server-- H:/ drive.  Now I want it as a 'stand-alone" computer.
    Thanks for any help...
    Skookum Bob

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: change the default download drive?
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »
    Browser ? ?
    In Firefox it's Tools/Options/Main/Downloads/ Select where Downloads are saved...
    I haven't seen IE in years so don't ask...
    Someone else who is familiar with it will be along shortly...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

skookum

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:24:53 AM »
      Thanks,  I will try that.  But now I have really screwed up.  I thought I would look in the bios to see if there was a drive change.  I didn't think I changed anything, but when I hit f10, and got out, Now my computer won't even load windows.  What did I do?  And how can I fix it??  Please help. 

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:05:19 AM »
      Remove all power sources.
      Open a side panel to the machine.
      Remove the CMOS battery located on the MBoard ...about the size of a dime.
      Be careful not to damage the battery holder.it has a tiny spring bar to hold the battery in place...i use a toothpick to do this.
      With the battery out hit the main power switch on the front of the machine to discharge any stored energy.
      Wait 10 minutes and replace the battery and power up.
      The BIOS will now be reset to it's default settings and should boot properly...

As always when working inside the case remove all power sources and take anti-static precautions...

NOTE: Never fool in the BIOS to fix a software issue...it doesn't work.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

skookum

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:55:24 PM »
        Thank you for the bios tip.  I promise to never try to change a software problem in the bios.

The computer boots up fine, but now the log in password in not working.  I have the password and have been using it for a few months now. 

After the bios trick, the boot is fine until I type in the password in the correct box.  Then the nasty message that I don't have the correct password or that the 'case' is wrong.  I have tried both. 

Is there a way to bypass the password until I can make my own?  I original owner had her password on the computer.  When she gave the computer to me, she gave me her password. 

Thanks,
        Passwordless Skookum