Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

How much memory does your computer(s) have?

Less than 128MB
8 (1.7%)
> 128 <= 256
23 (4.8%)
> 256 <= 512
39 (8.1%)
> 512 <= 1GB
78 (16.3%)
> 1GB <= 2GB
137 (28.5%)
> 2GB <= 3GB
64 (13.3%)
> 3GB <= 4GB
53 (11%)
> 4GB <= 5GB
33 (6.9%)
Over 5GB
45 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 433

Author Topic: March monthly poll  (Read 42150 times)

kwicken

Re: March monthly poll
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2009, 10:07:39 AM »
The first computer I ever used was an IBM360 it had 32KB of main memory with about 512KB of disk space on line and seven tape drives (a real of tape could contain up to 256KB of data).  It ran IBM OS or DOS.  It had many remote users on the network.  With all this it accomplished a lot. I now have a desktop with 2 GB RAM and 350 GB HD online and several multi GB's of flash memory and HD devices off line and still it does not accomplish much. More like a high priced entertainment center. It seems the more technological and massive amount of storage and speed we get the less we get accomplished.   

AussieInLondon

« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2009, 12:01:02 PM »
Vista Desktop - 8GB
XP Pro Fileserver - 8GB
Vista laptop - 4GB

obtrunco

Greenhorn

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2009, 12:25:44 AM »
    Let's see... I'm running a tri-boot Vista 32 & 64 bit Ultimate along with a Vista Premium I migrated from an older PC I had built but haven't bothered in recovering it; I can boot into the first two. 4 GB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, Intel Quad processor 2.66GHz, 1GB DDR3 GPU (NVIDIA 9600) and XFX Force 680i LT motherboard with 4 HDD's. Pheww!!!! This doesn't include 3 other OS's I'm running on a Virtual Machine. Among them is Ubuntu Linux (just for the heck of it), which is quite boring to use and look at.

I volunteer my PC's power along with others using the BOINC program which crunches numbers for SETI@Home, Einstein@Home and The Large Hadron Collider. Pretty Neat!  ;D I'm providing a screenshot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

NasH The Guru

Starter

• That is Me Whazzzz Up :)
      « Reply #78 on: March 27, 2009, 03:29:56 AM »
      My Desktop Has 36GB DDR3 1600mhz Triple Channel Memory
      My Notebook/Laptop Has 8GB DDR3 RAM
      NasH

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #79 on: March 27, 2009, 05:43:11 AM »
      Whats Einstein@Home? Have you considered running folding at home? More worthy cause if you ask me.  But do whatever you want

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2009, 06:12:56 AM »
        Let's see... I'm running a tri-boot Vista 32 & 64 bit Ultimate along with a Vista Premium I migrated from an older PC I had built but haven't bothered in recovering it; I can boot into the first two. 4 GB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, Intel Quad processor 2.66GHz, 1GB DDR3 GPU (NVIDIA 9600) and XFX Force 680i LT motherboard with 4 HDD's. Pheww!!!! This doesn't include 3 other OS's I'm running on a Virtual Machine. Among them is Ubuntu Linux (just for the heck of it), which is quite boring to use and look at.

I volunteer my PC's power along with others using the BOINC program which crunches numbers for SETI@Home, Einstein@Home and The Large Hadron Collider. Pretty Neat!  ;D I'm providing a screenshot.

You should join CH's Folding@Home team  ;)
        If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #81 on: March 27, 2009, 06:43:58 AM »
        My Desktop Has 36GB DDR3 1600mhz Triple Channel Memory
        My Notebook/Laptop Has 8GB DDR3 RAM

What MBoard ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

obtrunco

Greenhorn

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2009, 08:21:52 AM »
          Hey, when it comes to science it's always worth it. It's all about the big picture. And "folding@home"? Is that a joke??  :-\ Let's see, you join a network so you can fold clothes together???  ;)

Chetyre

Greenhorn

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2009, 11:33:20 AM »
            3gigs on my XP desktop.

I upgraded from 1gig about a year ago, but I actually didn't notice too much of a difference.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2009, 11:38:14 AM »
              Hey, when it comes to science it's always worth it. It's all about the big picture. And "folding@home"? Is that a joke??  :-\ Let's see, you join a network so you can fold clothes together???  ;)

No, its performing alot of calculations for Protein folding that can help create cures for all sorts of diseases.

It just uses some of your Idle proccessor time and you can change the priority of it

See here:http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,42.0.html
              If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

obtrunco

Greenhorn

« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2009, 12:49:27 PM »
                That's cool. My interests lie more in astrophysics than biological or nucleic or medical research.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                « Reply #86 on: March 27, 2009, 01:06:24 PM »
                Whats Einstein@Home? Have you considered running folding at home? More worthy cause if you ask me.  But do whatever you want

that's like saying, "I have no clue what this is, but it's a more worthy cause"

If you don't know what it is how could you know and regardless your not in the position to make that judgement call anyway.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #87 on: March 27, 2009, 01:25:16 PM »
                I posted that in the morning when I just got up.  I was really tired and I cant think straight then. 
                And OMG nash that must be expensive! why do you need so much? You shure do have a lot of certifications! And then I look at your specs... THATS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!! 4 GTX 295s!!!!!!!
                You should get 4 of these
                http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla_computing_solutions.html omg I couldnt imagine for of those.  What do you do that you need so much stuff like that? And 1kw psu powers 4 gtx 295s?

obtrunco

Greenhorn

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2009, 02:53:47 PM »
                  Well if you want to challenge this.  ::) Astrophysics, quantum mechanics, cosmology are becoming far more interesting to the general public and will increase in the near future. It has a more broader aspect than looking at proteins and molecules to which you have no direct effect yourself either, you may only participate. Don't discard that many of the recent discoveries in the field you suggested took place in micro-gravity. My science of interest studies how the universe was created or down to the smallest, particle duality and/or non-locality. I find this far more interesting than the intermediary of proteins, DNA, ect. Don't get me wrong. I find this also interesting but in a lesser aspect. Therefore if I made a judgement call based on what interests me, so be it. After all... Don't we all? Computers, the internet and the makeup of this very forum is based on the science that interests me such as quantum mechanics etc, etc. If your saying I have no clue than you either and therefore I think this forfeits that comment. I have a certain idea of it based on science based reports, commentaries and interviews based in this field. So what makes this field interesting to me is that... I HAVE NO CLUE! I'll be learning something new about it every day.

If you feel yours is the best field in your opinion then all power to you. Strengths passions and devotions in all sciences are essential and all need to be supported.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  • Certifications: List
                  • Computer: Specs
                  « Reply #89 on: March 27, 2009, 07:17:57 PM »
                  that's basically what I mean- whats a "worthy cause" is purely subjective.
                  I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.