Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A little lost  (Read 10202 times)

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    A little lost
    « on: March 05, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »
    Hello youngsters!
       I have been computing for a little over a year now and have gotten my computer ( a hand me down from my kids) purring like a kitten. It was crashing at every turn when I saved it from the trash heap but with dedication and much help from many I was able to bring it back to life. It's an HP and part of that help came from their awesome website.
       Now i am trying to fix my mother's (techgrandgranny) computer. It's an Acer. The Acer and AOpen sites are lot less user friendly and I have spent weeks now on just one of my problems.
       The problem is that when I click on AOconfig I get a page fault in opencliba.dll. I don't know if this is a hardware or software problem. Software I believe but not sure so that's why I am posting in other. I don't know if it is a BIOS or driver issue, a RAM issue or malware perhaps????
    I am completely lost!
       Does anyone know how I can ask Acer/Aopen this question or have the answers I need?
       In other words " Can anyone help a little old lady across the internet highway?
    Grannys have Sage wisdom. They also know quite a bit about Oregano and Thyme.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: A little lost
    « Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:37:17 PM »
    Sounds like it is a .dll from the AOpen software itself...
    Do a search in Windows Explorer for it's location and post back with the results so we can be sure it is not malware related.
    The problem will be re-installing the AOpen software may wipe all your data on that machine and take it back to Day One status.
    What is it you need to do using the AOpen utilities ? ?
    Perhaps there is another way...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:30:26 PM »
      Wow! I didn't expect such a rapid response. Thank you.
         I'm not really sure what I am supposed to be checking but Opencliba.dll is in the AOpen folder.Is that the answer you were looking for?
         I don't really need to get into the AOconfig I was just frustrated and wanted to get something on this machine fixed. Then you said the M word! I better start from the top.
         I am working on an Acer P2-300 Celeron Model AX6LC Revision 1.XX with 32MB RAM and Win98se. This is when most people say "get a new computer or OS" and they stop listening. Being on a pension, neither is an option for her and at my our ages the philosophy of getting rid of something just because it is old is not one we could support! So, if you are still with me here is what I have done.
         First I updated Windows. Then I cleaned Temp files, Outlook, Add/remove, Startup and the registry. Then I ran Scandisk and defragged. This gained a lot of speed and I was hopeful. So I downloaded Avast but when I tried to update the definitions it had to retry with every package until over two hours later (yes I have dialup) the memory was too full to execute the command. That's when I downloaded Spybot and Superantispyware but when I try to run them they just stop responding. So I tried every on and offline scanner that Major Geeks recommended. If they would run on 98 they just didn't find anything. I know I have been hijacked at least once. What popped up on my screen is not something I am likely to forget soon.
         That's when I decided to turn my attention to something else before I gave the computer flying lessons. So here I am back at the malware issue and I don't know what else to try. And by the way, I am posting from my computer which is clean and protected.
         Well, this is turning into a novel and I am so worn out on the topic that I don't even know what to ask,   except... maybe...HELP!!!
         Thank you for being there so that I could share my woes and feel that there was some Hope for this Computer.  (and me!)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »
      No need to replace the PC, but adding some memory will help the PC a lot, I'm sure at your age your aware how valuable memory can get  ;D

Most of the anti-spyware applications out today a resource hungry, using fancy graphics skins and so forth (which I don't agree with myself- the app is supposed to clean the PC of infections, not look pretty!)- which is causing issues with your limited RAM.

I ran my old AMD 350Mhz K6-2 with 98SE and 32MB of RAM, and I got by just fine, but I couldn't believe the improvement when I upgraded to 256MB, and after that when I maxed it out to 512MB.

When I had 32MB of RAM, it was at a premium, so in general it';s best ot avoid running more then one or two "heavyweight" application at a time- Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, etc (pretty much any app, really)-

Additionally at the time the PC was not connected to the internet so I was relieved of the burden of a AV solution running in the background- in this case since you are on dial-up and need to connect to access the internet it should be safe for you to disable the background scanner of your antivirus (at least until you upgrade the RAM); as long as you are understandably cautious browsing the web, you should be fine.

failing anything else- I recommend acquiring a Windows 98SE CD, so that you may perform a clean install of your OS- (if we cannot find an alternate solution)- In the extreme case, you could actually go back to windows 95; finding that will be harder then finding a 98SE CD, and both might be equal in price to a RAM upgrade, which would likely allow the PC to run the scans you are trying to run.

Trust me when I say I don't believe a computer can ever go obsolete; after all, the first IBM-PC was touted as being able to run word processors and spreadsheets; today's computers are used to run word processors and spreadsheets with fancy graphics, which is pretty much the difference- how adding a pretty menu or design to the interface makes the previous iteration obsolete seems like a specious claim :)

Sorry... I have a tendency to ramble about things...  :-X
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 01:15:07 PM »
           Thanks for the giggle BC_P. I will look into the cost of curing Alzheim HZ disease.
           I completely agree about utilities and feel the same about spouses. If they look pretty and speak many languages but won't work you may as well uninstall them.
           I run only Explorer and systems tray and one app. at a time. I have been trying to run the scan at fileresearchcenter.com to see if something else is running that I don't know about but it seems to be a very busy site and I have had no luck yet. Oh, and I don't have an AV yet.
           In a world where people don't have time to write a whole word, completing a thought may seem like a ramble,  but I don't think so.
           While I am here I may as well ask another question.
           When Internet Explorer is processing the indicator alternates between the globe and a yellow and purple ball. Does anyone have any idea what is going on there?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:33:42 PM »
        How do you go about un-installing a spouse ? ?
        Just curious.... ;)

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »
        It may be not that easy....

Husband 1.0

Last year a friend of mine upgraded from BoyFriend 1.0 to Husband 1.0 and found that it's a memory hog, leaving very little system resources available for other applications.

She is now noticing that Husband 1.0 is also spawning Child Processors which are further consuming valuable resources. No mention of this particular phenomena was included in the product brochure or the documentation, though other users have informed her that this is to be expected due to the nature of the application.

Not only that, Husband 1.0 installs itself such, that it is always launched at system initialization, where it can monitor all other system activity. She's finding that some applications such as SpendingSpree 2.4, GirlsNight 3.5 and CocktailNight 7.0 are no longer able to run in the system at all, crashing the system when selected (even though they always worked fine before).

During installation, Husband 1.0 provides no option as to the installation of undesired Plug-ins such as MotherInLaw 5.8 and BrotherInLaw Beta release. Also, system performance seems to diminish with each passing day.

Some features she'd like to see in the upcoming Husband 2.0 include:

1. A "Yes I'll cook, clean etc." button.
        2. An install shield feature that allows Husband 2.0 be installed with the option to uninstall at anytime without the loss of cache and other system resources.

I myself decided to avoid the headache associated with Husband 1.0 by sticking with BoyFriend 2.0. Even here, however, I found many problems.

Apparently you cannot install BoyFriend 2.0 on top of BoyFriend 1.0; each program begins damaging the other. You must uninstall BoyFriend 1.0 first. Other users say this is a long standing bug that I should have known about. You'd think they would have fixed such a stupid bug by now! To make matters worse, the uninstall program for BoyFriend 1.0 doesn't work very well, leaving undesirable traces of the application in the system.

Another thing--all versions of BoyFriend 1.0 continually popup little annoying messages about the advantages of upgrading to Husband 1.0.

Bug Warning
        Husband 1.0 has an undocumented bug. If you try to install Lover 1.1 before uninstalling Husband 1.0, Husband 1.0 will delete MS Clothing allowance files, before doing the uninstall himself.

More applications that won't run with Husband 1.0 include Chippendale 2.0, Netballwatching 3.5, Suremoreshoes 6.0, and Cleanup 4.3.

Applications that run very well with Husband 1.0, however, include Bummingaround 1.0, Pubnight 2.3, Golfing 2.7, Pokernight 5.3, and Wanderingeyes 4.9.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 12:36:05 PM »
          I do hope the question was just due to curiosity and not a complete systems crash.
          How to Uninstall Spouse
             -Before uninstalling Spouse you should check options and settings as well as looking for updates and patches that may fix known bugs.
             -If that does not help, installing Divorce Lawyer 1 is often necessary. Other than Offspring 2.5 this is probably the most resource hungry program you will ever encounter.
             -When asked if you want to remove all of  Spouse’s components  it is often best to click yes even if you lose some documents that took long hours of work to create. You can always create new  (and perhaps even better) ones.
             -Do not try to delete history, just archive it. ( This information may be useful in the future.)
             -Don’t hate the App. because this may prevent you from noticing future versions that may work for you.
             -If you are easily swayed by flashy graphics, installing a firewall may be wise.
             -Finally, always do as much research as you can before installing. Although this is not fool proof , it is often easier than having to uninstall later.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 12:44:58 PM »
           ;)
          Nicely Done !
          And Welcome to CH !

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 05:40:59 PM »
               Thank you for the warm welcome and may I say how nice it is to talk with people who understand my sillycon sense of humour.
               There is something that has been puzzling me since I started working on this darn computer and my curiosity has gotten the better of me.
               Here is a picture of the C drive;
            Archive       238 MB    45 folders     481 files
            My Docu.     3.14MB     5 folders     192 files
            Programs   308MB   247 folders  1,612 files
            Test           413MB   297 folders  4,670 files
            Win98se    203MB     68 folders  1,063 files
            Windows   254MB   200 folders  2,485 files
            WU Temp   15.2MB      1 folder        16 files
            And a couple dozen files ( some of which have 0 bytes? Can I remove these?)
               The contents of “Test” include a complete copy of “Windows” and copies of files in Archive and Program files. This, to me, seems rather redundant and space wasting.
               What is the purpose of “Test” and is it necessary? Could I remove the extra copy of windows without messing something up?

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »
            How big is your hard drive, and how much of a free space, you have left?
            I have no clue what "Test" folder is for.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »
              It has 3GB hard drive and it has 50% free.

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 06:44:22 PM »
              Download, and install PrintFolder: http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/
              It'll install as an option under right click menu.
              Right click on "Test" folder, click "Print folder".
              New window will open with the content of "Test" folder.
              Make sure "Subfolders" box is checked.
              Go File>Save, and save the file to know location.
              Attach the file to your next reply.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 10:05:13 PM »
                  Thank you so much for the link Broni. It was a lot easier than typing out the short list of what is in C! Here is the content of Test.
                  I delete the copies of Hearts, Solitaire, FreeCell and Mine Sweeper that were in Test and after fixing the shortcuts they are working just fine. I was just wondering how dependant they were on each other and it would appear that they aren't at all. I'm still baffled!
                  I hope this attachment sheds some light on the subject.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 10:42:30 PM »
                Hmmmm....it looks like regular Windows folder.
                It looks like you have two parallel Windows installations, one in Windows folder, one in Test folder.
                Did you buy the computer as a used one?

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 08:54:25 AM »
                    She did. It used to belong to the public library but it had 95 on it when she got it. She had it upgraded to 98se later. Do you think I can delete the copy?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 09:07:10 AM »
                  yes- but first I would confirm that the old windows folder isn't used by anything by first trying to rename it. and then rebooting. I am guessing that the "windows" folder contains windows 95 since all signs point to the win98SE folder containing windows 98 SE, not the least of which of course being the name of said folder.  ;D

in the extreme case, windows won't load properly. never fear!

If this happens, simply press f8 repeatedly after the computer detects your hard drives and so forth after starting, If you do it right, the windows 98 boot options should appear, allowing you to select "Command prompt".

using command prompt you can rename the folder, using the "move" command:

Code: [Select]
                  Move C:\oldwin C:\windows

assumes you rename the "windows" folder to oldwin.

after renaming it back using Move you should be able to reboot properly. of course it would then be a good question why it wouldn't boot.

Chances are you will see no ill effects, in which case you can safely delete the folder.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 09:34:11 AM »
                      Oh, boy! It will take Granny a bit of time to wrap her head around all that! I've got sparks flying off my walker just trying to keep up! I will look into it and get back as soon as I can.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 10:09:46 AM »
                    Don't worry- I only included that second part about renaming it back in case it didn't work the first time- chances are you can rename it in windows as usual and it will restart properly.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 06:33:14 PM »
                        OK, first of all, I thought that WIN98se was a copy of the set up disk. I've attached it so you can take a peek and tell me if I am correct. If it is then I believe I also have the set up for 95 in archive. So how can I tell what is in Windows?
                        I'm just going to attach everything! If you need to see Program Files, just let me know! I love my latest download!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • BC-Programming.com
                      « Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 07:31:22 PM »
                      Ahh, interesting.

the first file attached appears to be a "archive" of windows 98 Install files(you thought correctly :)). For example, sometimes when you install, say a camera or USB scanner and so forth, it will request files from the windows 98 CD- that folder contains those files.

I recommend to keep that folder, unless you have a windows 98 CD.

The second file appears to be of a similar theme, but windows 95 installation files. They are safe to delete. (on account of you not having win95) In a similar vein,

the third one, the windows folder- I believe, based on file dates, is a windows 95 installation (which means your not using it) Almost all the system files are around 96/97, and the latest files are from 2002. Chances are it would be safe to delete this folder as well.

On the other hand- the win98se folder is windows 98 install files- the windows folder is a windows 95 installation- and the other two are archives, which makes me wonder exactly where the actual windows folder is. (perhaps the "test" folder?)

one way of finding out. paste the following into notepad:

Code: [Select]
                      echo %WINDIR%
                      pause

save it as "C:\wdir.bat"

now start->run "C:\wdir.bat"

a command window will appear that will show the windows directory as the first line; this could solve the mystery... or it could raise more questions, I suppose...

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 10:16:19 AM »
                          OK, I did as you said and here is what I got...
                        C:\>echo C:\TEST
                        C:\TEST
                        C:\>pause  Press any key to continue....
                          I take it that this is what you were expecting?
                        Sorry if this appears twice. For some reason I am having trouble posting.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                          • BC-Programming.com
                        « Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 12:19:20 PM »
                        Interesting- the version of windows  that boots up is in the "test" folder, and by all appearances looks like windows 95 (again, just judging from file dates).

What about Start->Run winver

does that tell you windows 98, or windows 95?

Either way don't delete the test folder- for some reason your running OS is installed to it.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 06:54:19 PM »
                            Well, it said 98.
                            So, the 95 install files are in Archive and the 98 install is in 98se (turns out that it wasn't that hard to find the old OS set ups!). Then, judging by the dates, it is safe to say that Windows is the 95 OS and Test contains the 98 OS as well as a bunch of other stuff.  Whew!! This begs the question of why the old OS was left. Is it possible that there are programs or documents that need it? Is it possible that many of the problems with this machine are OS version conflicts? Am I driving you crazy with all of my question?
                            I thought I would backup Windows ( because it seems to be 95 ) and delete it but I can't seem to install the right drivers for my Flash Drive and this computer can't write CD's, it can only read them.
                            I am so frustrated that I have gone Old School and picked up pencil and paper! I am drawing a self portrait to spruce up my postings.
                            I'm not sure which way to turn so any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                            • Yes
                            • Yes
                            • BC-Programming.com
                          « Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 09:33:36 AM »
                          hmm- actually, windir is pointing to "test", and if winver says windows 98, it could be the first edition of windows 98, which would explain the dates being earlier then what I remember.

It's possible there are some issues- some badly written programs assume that windows can be found in "C:\windows", which in your case doesn't contain the same version of windows you have installed.

I wouldn't want to be the one to recommend deletion of any of the folders in case it causes even more issues...

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 04:17:44 PM »
                              May I say that I understand and even applaud your caution when giving advice. Rest assured that I take full responsibility for anything I download or delete.
                              I am positive that my computer is 98se so I ran winver on it and it said just 98 as well.
                              Call me crazy but I also assumed that windows would be in C:\WINDOWS!

patio

• Genius
                            • Maud' Dib
                              • Yes
                            « Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 06:49:43 AM »
                            Win95 and 98 were in the C:\Win directory by default...
                            Post some specs on that machine...it may run rather nice on Win2K.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                              • Yes
                              • Yes
                              • BC-Programming.com
                            « Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 10:11:35 AM »
                            Win95 and 98 were in the C:\Win directory by default...
                            Post some specs on that machine...it may run rather nice on Win2K.

Windows 3.1,95,98, and 98SE default to C:\WINDOWS

windows NT3.1,3,5,3.51,4, and W2k default to C:\WINNT.

your getting "win" from the positive sounding "win" command one would invoke to load up windows when in DOS mode.  ;D

I agree though,  win2k is a good option to explore.

patio

• Genius
                            • Maud' Dib
                              • Yes
                            « Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 01:56:04 AM »
                            your getting "win" from the positive sounding "win" command one would invoke to load up windows when in DOS mode.

Thanx for the correction.
                             ;)

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 05:16:20 PM »
                              Now Ive got an error 666 so I checked Device Manager and found out that there are seven devices with problems. They say that " The NTKERN.VXD device loader for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2). "
                                It also says that it can be fixed by reinstalling the drivers but after reinstalling I still have the problem.
                                I ran NTKERN.VXD through FIND and got no results but I did find it on the 95 disk. Need help! :'(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                • Yes
                                • Yes
                                • BC-Programming.com
                              « Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 05:24:54 PM »
                              which devices are these?

Can you perhaps provide a screen capture of device manager?

using the "print screen" key on your keyboard, open Paint, Edit->Paste, save, and then you can attach that and we can investigate this issue.

but, before we get to concerned, the problem isn't actually a "broken" ntkern.vxd, the error is in fact saying that ntkern tried to load it, but was unable to.

I also might add that if memory serves "code 2" is "file not found" (I'm such a nerd LOL).

if you reinstalled, then you're simply missing drivers. if you can provide an Everest log, we can help you find the drivers for any missing devices.

Everest

If everything appears to be working fine, you have nothing to worry about, but we'll help you get everything as tip-top as it can be ;)

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »
                                  Well, I can't get on the internet on that machine so I can't send files. I don't care much about the gaming drivers but kinda need things like modem and keyboard!
                                  I will check it out again but it seems to me that at least most of the drivers it needs are there and it says that they have been installed and asks me to restart but I still can't get on the internet and I still have the exclamation points. That machine is more confused than I am!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                  • Yes
                                  • Yes
                                  • BC-Programming.com
                                « Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 05:47:15 PM »
                                Sounds like one of the missing drivers is for the network card.

If you can find a floppy disk you can copy items(everest log, mostly) to there and then upload them via the other PC your using to access the net.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 05:52:41 PM »
                                  Network card?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                    • Yes
                                    • Yes
                                    • BC-Programming.com
                                  « Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 06:02:37 PM »
                                  it would probably say "Ethernet controller" in device manager. It's the part that handles connections to your network; this is usually how PCs are connected to the internet.

Either that, or modem card; in either case, it sounds like there aren't any drivers installed for several components.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 06:33:39 PM »
                                      TechGreatGranny gave me a whole box of stuff that has to do with that machine including a couple of modem disks one of which is labeled drivers. I can see by the documentation that it has had a couple of modems so I am not sure this is the disk for the present one but if it is I should be able to get them there? ( Yes, there is a question in there somewhere)
                                       I have downloaded Everest to my computer and have to put it on a CD to install it on her machine, get the logs and then put the results on a floppy (if they aren't to large) so that I can post them from here! Whew!I guess that will have to wait until tomorrow when I have more time.
                                       Thank you! I don't look like this anymore :'( now I look like this  :) 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                      • Yes
                                      • Yes
                                      • BC-Programming.com
                                    « Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 06:50:09 PM »
                                     :'( ->  :)

A free service of computerhope.com

;D

Once we get the logs, I'm sure there will be no problem finding drivers for everything.

While your there I'd give the modem disk a shot. if it doesn't have a installer, you'll need to tell windows 95 what to do:

In control panel, select "add/remove hardware"

this part is a bit hazy, but there should be an option at some point, "I will choose the driver to install", at which point you would click "have disk", and then insert the modem disk.

With any luck, it will be able to install the drivers for the modem.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 08:04:06 AM »
                                      I'm back! Finally!
                                      Here is the full Everest report.
                                      If I can get the modem up and running I can post from there and so I have tried installing the driver for it but with no luck.

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 08:06:28 AM »
                                        Did I forget something or is the prognosis so bad that no one wants to break it to me? When I enter a chatroom are people whispering behind my monitor or is that just the ringing in my ears? Give it to me straight, man to Gran, I can take it.
                                        Nothing can ruin my day because I just got a brand new grand baby! ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                          • Yes
                                          • Yes
                                          • BC-Programming.com
                                        « Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 09:02:37 AM »
                                        Sorry, I meant to get back to this thread but I guess I forgot  ;D

It doesn't seem like Everest was able to find the exact model of the modem, it came up with "PPP adapter". One possibility is, If you have the windows 98 CD, to use the "add new hardware" wizard to manually add a Hayes compatible modem, or one of the generic modem drivers. (hayes is fairly universal). I'm a bit rusty with windows 98, but when you first start the add new hardware wizard, (found in control panel) it will at some point ask you wether it should search for devices or wether you will specify the device- choose to specify, and then uncheck "show only compatible hardware". navigate to Modems (or dial-up adapters, I forget the name) and there should be a "hayes compatible" entry, or something similar. Try installing that driver.

I found a few pages that might help. I've never had to set-up dial-up, and have never really used a modem myself so this is fresh territory for me.

http://www.cowboy.net/support/ppp-setup/win95-98/default.htm

I just got a brand new grand baby!

Congratulations!  :)

49 M

Beginner

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 10:55:59 PM »
                                          Right click the My Computer icon. Click on properties, then device manager. Click the modem box & it should tell you which one you have.

Congradulations on the new grandchild! They are life's reward for not wringing the kids neck's when they were driving us nut's. lol

techgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 11:49:30 AM »

Congratulations! 
                                            Congradulations on the new grandchild! They are life's reward for not wringing the kids neck's when they were driving us nut's. lol
                                            Thank you! And I hear ya, 49M!

OK, here is a list of the drivers I lost on April 3rd.

Standard 101/102 –Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
                                            Microsoft TV/Video Connection
                                            HSP56 WDM Device (Pctel)
                                            CM18738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
                                            Processor Support
                                            Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet Nic
                                            Disconnected Devices- Intel 536EP V.92 Modem
                                               Since a few days ago the last two don’t even appear in device manager.
                                               Add New Hardware just keeps taking me back to Device Manager which says that the drivers are not installed. I’ve tried the modem driver CD but the computer can’t read it. I’ve ran a search and can find some of the drivers and it says that they are successfully installed but after restart the devices are still down.
                                               Is there a certain one, like Processor Support, that I should try to get first?   
                                               On a slightly different note, is it possible to restore to a certain date with Win98? I understand the principals of System Restore but have never used it so I’m not familiar with it’s capabilities or method of use.