Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Enable Standby/Hibernate  (Read 2954 times)

Woodman

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Enable Standby/Hibernate
    « on: March 10, 2009, 12:33:34 AM »
    Specs:
              Operating System            Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
                                                      Version 5.1.2600
                                                      Service Pack 3

Motherboard:
          CPU Type                             AMD Athlon XP, 1666 MHz (12.5 x 133)
                                                                     2000+
          Motherboard Name            MSI KM4M-L (MS-6734 v1)  (3 PCI,

System Memory                 480 MB  (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
          BIOS Type                          Award (01/16/04)

I would like to enable Standby/Hibernate but directions I found on the internet all mention clicking on the Power tab in Power Options Properties which I don't have (see attachment).   Is there any other way of enabling Standby/Hibernate please.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

billrich

Re: Enable Standby/Hibernate
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:51:10 AM »
    A freebie Toolbar or other Malware can reset or erase the the Tabs in the Power options screen. Uninstall the freebie Toolbar.  Or system restore to a day when all was well.
    start, all programs, accessories, System Tools, System Restore
    or
    Download malware remover
    http://www.techsupportteam.org/forum/tutorials/2282-malwarebytes-anti-malware-mbam.html

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/magyar1.mspx

To enable hibernation support on your computer:

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators or Power Users group. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent this procedure.

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Power Options.

Click the Hibernate tab, and then select the Enable hibernate support check box. If the Hibernate tab is not available, your hardware does not support this feature.

Click OK to close the Power Options dialog box.

Note: When you put your computer into hibernation, everything in computer memory is saved on your hard disk. When you turn the computer back on, all programs and documents that were open when you turned the computer off are restored on the desktop.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:11:06 AM by billrich »

Hope_Comp

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:57:35 AM »

I would like to enable Standby/Hibernate but directions I found on the internet all mention clicking on the Power tab in Power Options Properties which I don't have (see attachment).   Is there any other way of enabling Standby/Hibernate please.

Do you mean that the Hibernate tab is missing because there is no Power tab in Power options?

Woodman

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:14:11 PM »
        Thank you,

Quote from: billrich
         Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Power Options.

Click the Hibernate tab, and then select the Enable hibernate support check box. If the Hibernate tab is not available, your hardware does not support this feature.

That might be the reason but I haven't been able to substantiate it.

Quote from: Hope_Comp
        Do you mean that the Hibernate tab is missing because there is no Power tab in Power options?

Well, there is no Power tab in Power Options nor is there a Hibernate tab.  The instructions I have found on the WWW to enable Hibernation all mention clicking on the Power tab which isn't there.  Perhaps the quote from billrich is correct and my hardware doesn't support hibernation.