Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Invalid Directory  (Read 9384 times)

BatchRocks

Hopeful
    Re: Invalid Directory
    « Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »
    Meh. What about copy?

Dias de verano

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 04:48:09 PM »
    Meh. What about copy?

One file at a time; no wildcards.

BatchRocks

Hopeful
      « Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »
      One file at a time; no wildcards.

Oh... I see.

boweasel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 05:10:55 PM »
        The other thing that I'm still concerned about is getting to this one directory.  In the recovery console it shows up as the previously mentioned 'BEHAVE!!! =>'.

I no longer know what the actual name of the directory is.  Maybe the DOS-like display of the recovery console is putting in those = and > characters because the directory name is too long.  I don't know.

As far as KNOPPIX goes, I wonder if I could download that onto a 1 GB flashdrive on my XP, and then set up the Vista to boot from a removable device?

Dias de verano

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 01:13:31 AM »
        As far as KNOPPIX goes, I wonder if I could download that onto a 1 GB flashdrive on my XP, and then set up the Vista to boot from a removable device?

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/installing-usb-knoppix-51-using-linux/

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 06:21:04 AM »
          I don't know what this (partial) sentence means...

MOVE is not an internal DOS command.

yes it is...but your not using Command Prompt, your using recovery console....which is my bad...
          see here:
          http://www.computerhope.com/movehlp.htm
          If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 01:07:41 PM »
            pmf getting gifed here.  how about xcopy then?
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Dias de verano

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
            pmf getting gifed here.  how about xcopy then?

Not in Recovery Console.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 01:30:20 PM »
              ah I was thinking he was else were sorry about that copy seems to be your strongest point then.
              Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

boweasel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 03:57:52 PM »
                I appreciate all the input, and I have used COPY to copy the pictures from the hard drive to the flash drive.  And it seems to work just fine - I just can't use wildcards, which is workable - it just makes the process take longer.

And I HAVE copied all the individual pictures we want to the flash drive.  EXCEPT for the items on the directory that displays in the recovery console as "BEHAVE!!! =>"

At this point I need a way to access this directory from the recovery console.   

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 04:38:54 PM »
                  so you cant do it like copy C:\windows\documents and settings\desktop\*.jpg G:\

Dias de verano

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 04:43:20 PM »
                  so you cant do it like copy C:\windows\documents and settings\desktop\*.jpg G:\

No, you can't use the * wildcard. You can use the ? one I think. (I'm not sure about that)

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 04:45:53 PM »
                    he could of probably used it, but I think that it only takes the place of one interger or something

boweasel

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 05:16:07 PM »
                      No.  I can't even use the '?'. 

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »
                        thats very odd????