Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Email Link Problems  (Read 3427 times)

wilmsp

Topic Starter

Beginner

Email Link Problems
    « on: March 11, 2009, 02:20:37 PM »
    I posted this problem about a week ago - still haven't had a single suggestion or reply.  I use Eudora and/or Incredimail for my email.  In either one, when I try to follow a link, neither reacts or leads to it.  On some occasions if a the full address is listed I can copy/paste to get there of course, but most newsletters etc. provide an icon for the link.  What can I do?  I really don't like MS Outlook Express and haven't tried to see if it presents the same problem.  Come on people - I can't be the only one in the world to hit this roadblock.  Suggestions please?

Bill.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Email Link Problems
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 02:32:23 PM »
    You using XP?  Go to Control Panel and open Internet Options.  Select the Programs tab.  What does it show for email program?

wilmsp

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 03:23:36 PM »
      Thanks Soybean - its Incredimail. Now what?

Bill S.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 03:36:04 PM »
      What web browser are you using?  Do you have more than one browser?  Which one is set as default?

wilmsp

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 04:51:52 PM »
        I normally use Firefox and it is my default browser.  I do have IE Explorer available but bring it up manually on the rare occasion that I use it.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 07:30:48 PM »
        Was this working OK until recently?  Did you make any changes to your system just before this started?

wilmsp

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 04:22:27 AM »
          First. thanks for your help Soybean.  The problem has arisen within about the last 2 or 3 weeks.  Yes, I added a utility program recently - "WinUtilities" and sure, I would like to think if I uninstalled it - poof! away would go the problem.  But no, I don't think it's the cause and I have checked it several times with Avast plus other malware programs.  Here's an addendum to the whole thing.  With Incredimail, I have completely uninstalled it [earlier this week], downloaded a fresh copy and installed it.  Everything that was on the old one is there again - addresses, in and out mail, even the junk.  Now I know when you delete something it's not really gone unless you actually shred it, but I thought I'd be starting fresh with a new copy - uh uh, nope.  I did the same thing with Eudora and yes, the same thing - all the old stuff back.  Strange.

Bill

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 08:48:09 AM »
          wilmsp, I understand you don't like Outlook Express but, for troubleshooting purposes, can you try creating your email account in OE and see whether email links work in it? 

I also suggest you verify Firefox is set as your default browser.  The lack of response to links in your email clients might indicate your Windows registry recognizes no default web browser.  See http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How+To+Make+Firefox+The+Default+Browser and click the Check Now button to verify Firefox is set as your default browser.  Near the bottom of that web page, you will also see a link titled Setting Firefox as the default browser does not work.  You may need to take a look at that, also.

Regarding your removal and reinstallation of the two email clients and the reappearance of all old content, I believe this is normal.  Removing the programs does not remove the messages, contacts, etc. that were created in them; that would have to be done as a separate action.  In other words, such content is not kept in the program files that were installed with the programs but in separate files created by those programs. So, when you reinstalled, apparently to the same folder/location as before, the email clients simply recognized the messages, etc. that were still there from before.