Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Forgotten Network / Logon password for Windows 98  (Read 5487 times)

Martin Brown

Forgotten Network / Logon password for Windows 98
« on: May 06, 2005, 03:04:33 PM »
My son had his PC at University and has long since forgotten the network /logon password for Windows 98 he had then.  We now want to network his machine with my Mac.  Netork is not accessible becuse we don't have the password and thus can't sign in.  We don't need to ever regain access to his university network, but would like to set up a LAn with my MAc for priniting sharing and file sharing.  Any help?
Thanks ???

cigarman

Intermediate
    Re: Forgotten Network / Logon password for Windows
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 03:45:06 PM »
    You simply cancel the sign on and get into windows as Win 98 don't hold an network account.  You can do as you wish once you're in
    ;D

pcdoc4christ

Re: Forgotten Network / Logon password for Windows
    « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 10:40:22 AM »
    Martin:

Once you are in Windows, you may rename the file that keeps the password:

1. Use Windows Explorer to navigate to the Windows folder (most likely C:\WINDOWS).

2. Look for the file that has your son's user name and the extension .PWL (for example, if his user name is Junior, the file will be named Junior.PWL).

3. Right-click on that file and select Rename from the menu, then rename the file (for example, rename it Junior.OLD).

4. Now your son will be able to choose a new password for his user account, if he desires to do so.