Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please Help! IE8 issues  (Read 4003 times)

kendrasgma

Please Help! IE8 issues
« on: March 19, 2009, 12:43:45 PM »
Hi, i sure hope someone will be able to help with my problem.  well here goes.....Here at work there are 2 computers that are connected to internet via the same dsl modem. (wired)  on one comp. IE8 was mistakenly installed.  the other comp has our point of sale software installed on it and through this software, we receive electronic dispatches of jobs from insurance companies via various networks.  we invoice the job and transmit electronically thru the software for payment.  since the install of IE8 on the other comp. we are unable to do either.  also on both computers some websites are fine but others wont connect at all.  for instance, if i go to comcast.net, the page is fine.  if i sign in to access email, all i can do is enter name and password, but once i hit enter....nothing. eventually it will say internet explorer cannot display webpage.  i uninstalled the IE8 from the computer and reinstalled IE7, but still have my problem.  can anyone help?  our pos tech support cannot help...not an issue with their software

brundle

Re: Please Help! IE8 issues
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »
"connected to internet via the same dsl modem. (wired)" - how? Internet Connection Sharing? Or does the modem have a USB and ethernet connection so that two computers can connect at once? Any firewalls running? Your problems sound like an MTU issue at first read. Try a System Restore on the machine which had IE8 installed. I mean, to a point before IE8 was installed, and before you had the issues.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 07:28:20 PM »
Firefox.

brundle

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:51:57 AM »
The browser itself is unlikely to be the issue if some sites can be reached and others can't. Application layer (#7) of the OSI model is working - MTU is at Datalink layer (#2), which will affect everything that uses a network connection, and MTU issues commonly result in haphazard connectivity and no access to secure sites.

I could of course be proved wrong, computers are never so straightforward, and a third-party firewall can throw all the logical troubleshooting steps out altogether.

dddavis1954

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Uninstall IE8
    TO uninstall from XP:

click START
    Control Panel
    Add Remove Programs
    Internet Explorer 8
    REMOVE

Then run windows update to hide the ie8 update, it's classified a "critical update".
    click the + and check "Do not show again", this keeps it from re-installing.

At this point it you will be back to IE7.