Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Uninstall Windows 2000  (Read 4644 times)

hihjr

Uninstall Windows 2000
« on: March 29, 2009, 04:11:23 PM »
I acquired an HP Pavilion 1795 computer which came to me with Windows 2000 installed although the computer has the MS tag on it showing that it originally had XP installed.I have the original Windows CD for XP which says it is for a new computer only. Wanting to upgrade to XP I loaded the CD and got a message that it would not upgrade 2000, however the installation continued and a window told me that it was installing XP but in a different partition on the hard drive which it did.
Now when I boot I get a DOS screen that asks me to choose which operating system I desire and it lists both 2000 and XP. Either boots OK. I am not connected to the internet on the machine. All of my applications are with 2000 and will not boot with XP as they are in the original partition I assume.
How do I uninstall 2000 and move my applications,etc to XP?
Do I first uninstall XP, then 2000 and how do I retain my apps so they end up with XP?
I do not know nor can I find UNINSTALL for either 2000 or XP, how do I find it?
Any help is appreciated as I am just savvy enough to get into this situation!
Bud

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Uninstall Windows 2000
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »
You can't retain applications. Programs have to be reinstalled.
You better start over, following this manual for XP clean install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html