Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: EXPERTS NEEDED: CPU Problem  (Read 6254 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: EXPERTS NEEDER: CPU Problem
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 01:04:33 PM »
This could be explained:
Possibly Electronic Noise, since the CPU is working so much that the bus becomes very noisy(Electronically) which could spread through the board to your Sound Chip through the Power bus. This can't be fixed unless you want to do really hard mods on your motherboard(Soldering, Wires, etc.)

seriously, you're just making stuff up. crosstalk would occur regardless of how "swamped" the bus is- which means not a single computer made would work.

Crosstalk is a problem, but only to the engineers.. or I suppose if you make some offbeat modification.

Anyway, I guess I'll add something relevant-

you can sort the processes by CPU usage by clicking the CPU time column in the processes list- alternatively, you can try Process explorer
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

GDRG

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 01:11:33 PM »

seriously, you're just making stuff up. crosstalk would occur regardless of how "swamped" the bus is- which means not a single computer made would work.

Crosstalk is a problem, but only to the engineers.. or I suppose if you make some offbeat modification.

Anyway, I guess I'll add something relevant-

you can sort the processes by CPU usage by clicking the CPU time column in the processes list- alternatively, you can try Process explorer

Thanks for the contribution and I'm aware of the CPU sorting system in task manager. However, like I said, it's impossible to pinpoint one program because it's everything. Even task manager can take up 60%. Everything just jumps up and down.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: EXPERTS NEEDED: CPU Problem
    « Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 01:43:36 PM »
    process explorer adds some more detail- for example I've had similar symptoms that turned out to be deferred procedure calls. Could be a driver issue, too.

EDIT: although, come to think of it viruses can attach themselves to running processes...
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

GDRG

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 02:36:57 PM »
      I'm running Process Explorer as we speak but it doesn't really give me any new insight. My CPU is around 5-20 right now and it's still just default programs popping up snatching away CPU. e.g. Firefox, Winamp and Process Explorer itself.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 04:52:50 PM »
      Being a laptop it's probably a loose cold solder joint or other wiring issue inside the beast...but i'm just guessing since we've seen alot of that.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GDRG

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 03:15:47 AM »
        I think it's my motherboard. It makes sense.

CPU is slow, everything is basically acting weird. I then tried installing 3 different kinds of Windows XP all of which didn't work because I got a BSOD about drivers, etc. I then plugged in my external DVD writer and played the Windows XP on that one. Installation did start this time but then told me Windows could not detect ANY hard drives.

Any ideas?

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 02:59:52 PM »

yea its kinda cheesy...and besides the engineers probably have some filtering system built into the sound chip.

but:
          Being a laptop it's probably a loose cold solder joint or other wiring issue inside the beast...but i'm just guessing since we've seen alot of that.

you never know. im not saying crosstalk is what is causing his CPU to have overloading. im just saying it could be explained for the cirpping in his sound.
          If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 04:04:45 PM »
          It's all a matter of tolerances, isn't it?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"