Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how do I check these settings  (Read 3177 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
how do I check these settings
« on: March 24, 2009, 12:23:49 PM »
I am hoping someone here maybe able to help on how to check these settings. I got an email back from Webkinz on a problem I wrote to them about, and they responded, but I don't know how to do the things they said to check for.
Here is what the email said-
You wrote to us about not being able to connect to the server when trying to use the kinzchat phone or going into the clubhouse. This feature also affects the Tournament Arena and KinzPost.
Please make sure that all of your pop up blockers are off. If you have a router, please make sure that the HTTP port 80 is open and the FTP port 21 is open.
If this still does not fix the problem, contact your internet service provider to check that your security settings on your modem are not set too 'high'.

I noticed one of the things it says is if you have a router what to do. Yes, we do have a router. Just got one about a year or so ago when we switched from Earthlink Dialup Internet to Bellsouth DSL. My nephew and his dad are who set it up for us when we switched to DSL. we are doing it wired too from my computer to my mom's.
Oh and it's a Linksys Broadband Router model number is WRT54G.
The modem we have is a westell that Bellsouth sent us the model number is WSTL6100C.

Thanks,
Amy

apple266

Intermediate

• Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: how do I check these settings
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 02:49:53 PM »
Hi,

What you have to do to check if your pop-up blocker is disabled is if you have internet explorer, go to the top of the screen and click on tools and there should be an option for the pop-up blocker. There should be an option inside of the pop-up blocker menu that says turn off pop-up blocker. For your router, you should be able to enter the configuration of it by typing the default ip of your router which is usually 192.168.1.1 but it would differ if you changed it. If you have a username and password set on the router it will ask you for it but if not it is usually username:admin password:password then in the router configuration go to access restrictions and scroll down to the blocked application list and check if those ports are on the list. for the Security I would just do what they say and call your isp

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 10:57:25 PM »
I can't seem to get in at all.
What do you mean when you say the username is usually username:admin and the password is password:password?
Is that how I type it out? with those marks : between word username and admin and
the same again for the password section password:password like that?

jbmwx

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 11:11:32 PM »
Hi amy,

I have a linksys router, but it is the BESFX41 model. Should be similar to what you got at least for settings editing since we both got a linksys router.

I am going to assume that you have not changed any settings on router.

1. Go to 192.168.1.1 (type this into address bar of your web browser, and open it like you go to any standard website)

2. For me, a login box would appear which asks for username and password. In the place where you type a username, I would leave blank and in the password box, type admin (So you no username and admin is the password ... If this is not working, maybe you ask your nephew and his dad to see if they changed username/password or they can assist you in your troubleshooting)

3. When you reach the control panel, click Application & gaming. Click on "UPnP Forwarding" then find FTP 21 and HTTP 80. Make sure you click on the enable checkbox to the right of the FTP21 and HTTP 80 lines.

4. Hit save settings on the bottom of the page. For me, it will say that settings successfully saved and will go back to the previous page in 10 seconds, maybe you get something different but i don't know what you will see.

5. Reset computer and try your website again!

At least, this is how it works for my router, hope it works for you  :)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 11:59:58 PM »
Thank you very much for all the great instructions on what to do.

Looks like this hacker has changed the router password and everything too. Both mine and my mom's computers keep getting hacked so much and full of spyware, viruses, all the stuff. Right before Christmas had another new repairman out due to a problem on my computer coming up with some locked thing. After the repairman left, we thought it was fixed, but it came up saying computer was locked again.
Both me and my mom would like to learn more about computer stuff so that we don't have to keep calling repairmen every time we have a problems.
See we don't even know a thing about the registry. How do you even get to it, and then when you do, what stuff is suppose to be there and not be there.

jbmwx

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:21:09 AM »
I am sorry you're having all the trouble. I would be sure your computer has antivirus protection. Avira, AVG and AVAST all have free versions for the basic virus protection which updates at least once a day. Only need one antivirus protection.

Then make sure you have firewall enabled, allowing only your trusted applications to access internet. Windows vista has an ok firewall already included with the operating system, else you can get commodo firewall. Jujst google commodo firewall and it will show up the download site.

I'd do a reformat of your computer and new operating system installation but it would require you to backup all files you want to save before reformatting and also you'd have to reinstall all programs and files you want on your computer which can be a bit tedious if you got a lot of those so I'd consult your nephew and his dad to see what they can do to help you guys out or ask a malware guy here if you want help troubleshooting through malware or viruses or something or for general in depth computer cleanup or assistance (look up Broni or Evilfantasy on this forum) before you do so if you want a 2nd opinion other than what you've seen so far posted.  ;D