Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Some USB devices won't connect.  (Read 15053 times)

rexy

Topic Starter

Rookie

Some USB devices won't connect.
    « on: March 27, 2009, 12:31:42 AM »
    Hello, I Hope I am posting this in the right section. 

I have an older (6 years) Gateway PC that is running Windows XP with service pack 3.  About a year ago I started experiencing problems connecting my digital camera, my iPod, a SD card programmer, and a flash drive.  My mouse, printer, and a GPS card programmer all work fine.  I tried a few ideas based on some very weak support from Gateway before I finally formated my hard drive and reinstalled windows last weekend.  Unfortunately, this didn't fix my problems.  I still cannot connect "mass storage devices."  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Some USB devices won't connect.
    « Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 12:41:54 AM »
    Common problem. Shut down, Discount all USB things.
    Power up, wait about two minutes or so. Plug in just the one thing you need, the USB storage. Wait a bit. Windows will think about it and find it and pretend there is nothing wrong.  :P

rexy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 11:40:42 AM »
      Geek-9pm,

Thank you for your quick reply.  I tried your advice and it worked, I was able to connect my camera, and then my iPod.  I disconnected them and tried them both again a while later and they would not connect again.  Any idea how I can make this a long term fix.  It is kind of annoying to have to power down my computer, unplug every usb cable, power it up, and then plug devices back in in every time I want to put a song on my iPod.  Thanks again for your help!  :)

GlitchPC

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:31:54 PM »
      If you're using a USB port...make sure you click the Safely Remove Hardware icon located in the System Tray, before you just unplug your device.  Select your device...and wait for Windows to tell you it's safe to remove the hardware.

rexy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 10:38:32 PM »
        Glitch-

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try that next time I connect my camera.  I always "eject" my iPod before I disconnect it, and that didn't prevent the problem from occurring.  Does anyone think it is possible that all 6 of my USB ports could be bad?  Is there a way to, or should I replace them?  Thanks again for the help!

Laska

Intermediate

• Tisn't the Spring Lovely
          « Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 02:18:15 AM »
          Tis Not the USB Ports that er Bad,
          But Just a Glitch in yer Software me laddy
          Max Wurl Ebus Pax Eterna  A Long Life Is God's Way Of Punishing Miserable People.

rexy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 09:22:23 AM »
            Thank you for your reply Laska.  Does anyone know how I can fix the glitch in my software?

GlitchPC

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 09:58:10 AM »
            rexy...

Do these USB ports, at least, provide power to your USB devices?

rexy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 10:10:56 AM »
              Glitch-

I would say that they do, my mouse is powered by the USB with no problem.  I was just chatting with onlinecomputerhelp.org to see if it was something they could fix for a fee, and they suggested taking it into a shop to see if it is a power issue with my USB ports.  Now I'm not sure what I should do.  I've heard that Best Buy's Geeks squad isn't very good, but I wouldn't know where to take it.  Does anyone know how to check if I have enough power coming out of my usb?  I'm no expert with computers by any means, but I do have a multimeter, or do you need some specialized meter?  Thanks.

GlitchPC

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »
              How many USB ports do you have...and how many are being used?

What wattage does your PSU have?  Is it a stock power supply unit...meaning it came with your PC?  What's the serial number on your PC...so I can check its specs at Gateway's support site?

rexy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 10:19:36 AM »
                Glitch-

I think you may be onto something with the power.  I just tried to connect my iPod, which apparently has a dead battery, and it kept telling me the iPod was very low on battery and it wouldn't connect or charge the iPod.  The iPod should charge through the USB.  I have 6 USB ports, 2 in front and 4 in the back of the machine.  I currently have 3 things plugged in, a mouse, a printer, and a GPS card programmer.  I'm sorry I don't know a PSU is.  I didn't change my power cord or anything if that is what you are asking.  My serial number is 0029805459.  Thanks!

dr_iton

Intermediate
                • Reading jeopardizes stupidity?
                  • PERSONAL WEB SITE
                • Certifications: List
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 10:24:28 AM »
                I had a similar problem but i fixed with this method:
                If you have two USB devices for the same purpose like imaging, just plug them in the crossing direction (not in serial way) and you wont have that problem again.
                Cheers.

A MARATHON BEGIN'S WITH A FIRST STEP.

rexy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 10:31:53 AM »
                  Dr-

Thank you for your input.  What do you mean plug them in the crossing direction?  Don't USBs only plug in one way? 

GlitchPC

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 10:38:28 AM »
                  rexy...

Checking your specs...located here...

This is your power supply:  160-Watt Power Supply R1 [Part #6500704]

If I were you...I'd have that replaced with one compatible with your desktop...and see if it remedies the problem.  Even if it doesn't remedy the problem...that's a very low-end power supply  and depending on what you use this computer for...the more devices you add to it, the more strain on the PSU.

What do you use this computer for, anyway?

I don't think it has anything to do with what dr_iton has mentioned...btw.  However, I've been known to be wrong...occasionally...lol.

Anyway...I definitely think it's the PSU...and you can get a replacement...relatively inexpensive.

I wouldn't let Geek Squad do it, though.

rexy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 10:52:21 AM »
                    Glitch-

Thanks for the hard work!  Should I replace my Power Supply with something from Gateway, or is ok to get an "after market" supply?  Any suggestion on where I can find one?  How hard is it to replace?  I am fairly mechanically inclined, so I can follow directions if it is not major.  I have replaced a hard drive, and added a wireless card to a different computer at one time.  I use the computer for basic stuff.  Surfing, pictures, music, etc.  Nothing too crazy.  Thanks again.