Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Catalyst mobility problem  (Read 3838 times)

johnjo569

Catalyst mobility problem
« on: March 30, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
Hi

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place - I just need a quick pointer on what is probably a very stupid problem.

I've got an Aspire 5920G with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 graphics card/chipset. Up until last week, I'd been running with whatever drivers had been installed when I originally purchased the laptop in February.

Vista's Windows Update told me of new drivers for the 3470 that had been released in January, so I  downloaded them. The driver, according to Device Manager, is dated 15/01/2009, and is version number 8.580.0.0.

My problem now is that every time I boot the machine, an ATI warning appears reading the following:

"The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enable graphics adapter. Please update your ATI graphics driver, or enable your ATI adapter using the Displays Manager."

All my games/youtube etc still run fine so this message is somewhat redundant or so it seems. I'd like to find a way to stop it appearing, but obviously ATI don't hold laptop drivers on their website, and informed me that I should contact the laptop manufacturer for the latest driver. I assumed that the Vista driver would be the latest driver. Acer's technical support was not exactly helpful, given that ATI had told me to contact Acer:

"Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,

You can download the latest ATI update from the ATI website

Regards
Acer Technical Support Team"

Basically, then, my query is this: how do I stop the redundant error message appearing when I boot Windows? Am I better off with the original drivers than the generic update installed by Vista?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

John