Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How long for a download?  (Read 22098 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    How long for a download?
    « on: April 02, 2009, 02:22:42 PM »
    Hello all, I would like to know, if someone might answer, how long it takes to download something like a movie, from what they call a torrent site.
    I see that mostly, movies are around 750 mb yet some are over 1 and 2 gig for the same (movie for example).
    I have ADSL2+ , and Im told its a good speed, :-\
    If I were to download something from a site how long might it take to complete a whole file? ::)
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How long for a download?
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:34:12 PM »
    for me, I've managed to download 1 to 2gb files in less then an hour. but I'm on super-fast cable...

Well, you can estimate. take your average download speed in say, firefox, just watch a download and take a reasonable value.

Then simply perform the math- (750*1024) kilobytes / kb/s = seconds to complete.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:01:08 PM »
      Thanks BC_Programmer, where might I "look" for this average download speed?
      Is there somewhere that actually gives me a value? Say my ISP, or on my computer? or do I just get a stopwatch?
      ImnoGuru   :-[
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

x2543

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:52:06 PM »
      http://www.speedtest.net/

This website allows you to communicate with a server you pick and it'll report download and upload speeds so you get an idea of how it goes!

For torrents, it depends on number of seeders you got vs number of leechers, some files of same sizes I have completed at fastest, within 30 minues and other times i have to leave pc on overnight and it'll be done by time I get up.

What you can do is to download many files one at a time and take an average of the speeds that the program reports it downloaded at.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 07:27:55 PM »
        Thanks for that site x2543. :)
        My download test comes in at 1.17mb/s, which doesnt look very impressive for the Australian average of 3.96Mb/s :'( :'( :'(
        My upload test wasnt very good either, less than half the Aus average. :rofl:(well if I dont laugh Id have to cry.

x2543

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 05:00:03 PM »
        well i wouldn't worry too much about internet being a bit slow unless it's apparently too slow to do what you want to do....

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
          « Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 06:40:53 PM »
          BC_Programmer, Thanks for the calcs.
          So just to clarify if I understand it correctly. The 750 is the size of the file and the 1024 is the speed of bits of information per second = the time in seconds to complete. Divide that by 60 and 60 = minutes then hours. ;D

Therefore a file of say 750 odd @ average of 1.17 Mb/s (Oh crap, a conversion factor)= 12800 secs.  /60... /60.. /24..  8.8 days.  :-X
           :o

FlashDriveDT

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 12:58:05 PM »
            That sounds wrong and complicated how you calculated there. If your download speed is 1.17 Mb/s (I take it you mean Megabits and not Megabytes?) and the file you want to download is 750MB then simply do the following:
            To make it easier let's say your speed is 1 Mbps (Megabits). 1 Mbps = 0,125 MB/s (Megabytes).
            750:0,125 = 6000 seconds. 6000:60=100 minutes.
            So it takes about 1 1/2 hours to complete the file provided you get good speed from the source. (Be aware it's a two way street)
            You can also calculate your bandwith via this website (at "input":
            http://web.forret.com/tools/bandwidth.asp

On another note, why don't you just download a file and simply check what the estimated download time is? Then you know for sure. There's usually a difference between theory and practice anyway.

nadav224

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 06:29:20 PM »
              For my computer it takes aprox 1 1/2 hours to download 1 gig.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                « Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 06:05:18 PM »
                That sounds wrong and complicated how you calculated there. If your download speed is 1.17 Mb/s (I take it you mean Megabits and not Megabytes?)

Yes. Thanks for clearing that up for me FlashDriveDT I did mean that.

On another note, why don't you just download a file and simply check what the estimated download time is? Then you know for sure. There's usually a difference between theory and practice anyway.

I wanted to know before I tried that, to see if was worthy of me pursuing. The file I wanted seemed unusually large.. = 5.5 Gig. :o  :o
                I have UTorrent and it said it would take 7 Years 42 weeks  and with my dazzleing speed test, it all seemed so correct. :-\

For my computer it takes approx 1 1/2 hours to download 1 gig.
                If I could achieve that level I would be most satisfied nadav224. :) :) :)

x2543

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 08:11:04 PM »
                7 years 42 weeks.

Well, I did download some files from torrent about 4gb, approx the size of one dvd-5 and it took an overnight download. But that was a good download, and I was on a 5mb/s charter line but 7 years? it depends on what file you are downloading and what its health is.

If there is plenty of seeders and less of leechers, then you should be able to get the download done within a day's time if the download doesn't suddenly stop somewhere in between or any slowdown.

What file are you downloading, I'm curious - don't care what you're downloading, just want to take a look at it anyway  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 08:27:39 PM »
                another thing is that it won't have an accurate estimate right away- I wait an hour for the download speed to get up to speed and the estimate to level out before deciding wether a large download is worth attempting.

usually within an hour I'll check and it'll say 45 minutes or thereabouts.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Guru
                « Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 09:54:24 PM »
                If I were to download something from a site how long might it take to complete a whole file?

Torrents are nothing like downloading from other websites like Microsoft or Download.com ect.
                For example, if you are downloading Speedfan, you are downloading it off their server or a file-hosting website/server.
                The download speed depends on your download speed, bandwith, their upload speed, and latency.

When downloading from torrents, you are not downloading from one source, but multiple sources.
                Say the torrent has 5 Seeds. This means there are 5 people around the world uploading the file to you. If the file has 500 Seeds, there are 500 people uploading the file to you, all at different speeds.
                Your download speed will not always be constant.
                Depending on how many Seeds you've got and your bandwith, it can take minutes or days.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 10:10:59 PM »
                Of course, a slow connection will keep those seeders from uploading to you very quickly. With well-seeded torrents it is pretty much dependent on the amount of ones bandwidth; fewer seeders, say 1 to 5, depend mostly on their combined upload speeds, rather then your download speeds.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                  « Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 10:18:44 PM »
                  Thanks for that info Carbon Dudeoxide, I didnt realize that.
                  So a REAL download is direct from a source, and these "torrents" come from anywhere.
                  Next door, three houses down, Yugoslavia, Venice and so on.

BC_Programmer yes I saw that while transferring the download and it did throw me off a bit.

Ok then, I get it now. ;D ;D ;D
                  So what about music Albums or songs, are they downloads or only torrent files as well? ???

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 10:20:26 PM »
                  Anything can be downloaded through Torrents. Large files or multiple files are downloaded through torrents because it puts much less pressure on Servers and can be generally faster.
                  For example, Linux and Open Office is distributed through Torrents.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                    « Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 10:28:27 PM »
                    Depending on how many Seeds you've got and your bandwith, it can take minutes or days.
                    I know some ppl can increase their Bandwidth, so how do I go about doing that?
                    My download test comes in at 1.17mb/s
                    Does that look like a reasonable speed compared to usual expected speeds?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 10:37:02 PM »
                    the most obvious way of increasing bandwidth is to buy a better package from your ISP. For example, I have the fastest internet available in my area, which costs me a fairly heftly 69$ a month.

Another method involves various hacks to the way windows handles your network card- sometimes, in fact, a new network card can get you better speed. (again- another example being that I got a Gigabit router and gigabit card both of the same brand (D-Link).

Also: if your connected via Wireless Wifi, you can try cabled instead, and if you are cabled try a better category of cable. For example (yet again ::)) I use Cat6 cable to connect my cable modem to my router- I haven't a clue if this helps speed-wise but at least I'm putting the cable to use.

Another option would be to use faster wireless. Still not as fast as a Cat-5 cable but a great solution for laptops. Wireless-N connectivity is a must-have for any laptops I purchase.

As an example my Vista laptop gets:

there are various other "tweaks" and "hacks" one can perform, but since they are against the terms of Service of most ISPs I feel they have no place here.

However, google would likely bring up a number of sites. But bear in mind that if they break the TOS of your ISP they are within their rights to simply cut you off all their services without warning.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 10:42:40 PM »
                    Does that look like a reasonable speed compared to usual expected speeds?
                    I would think so.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 10:43:43 PM »
                    oops, forgot to answer the second question!

yep, it definitely isn't a bad speed.

offtopic: when did speedtest change?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 10:52:48 PM »
                    I was thinking the same thing. I liked the previous version better. This one seems.....slow.....

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 11:01:08 PM »
                    it's fast on my laptop. The old one was slow on my desktop anyway... this one will probably be slower...

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Kraków my love :)
                      • Computer Help Forum
                    « Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 11:24:37 PM »
                    One sure way to increase your overall download speed is to apply this patch: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/12/31/tcp-z-free-download-half-open-tcpip-memory-patcher-for-x86-and-x64-windows-7-vista-and-xp/
                    It gets rid of M$ half-open connections limit, which is set to 10 by default.
                    My Comcast package gives me 6Mbps speed, but after applying the above, plus couple of other tricks, my speed averages at about 15Mbps.
                    The above patch is the main ingredient, though.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 11:28:44 PM »
                    that reminds me- I have to reapply that patch.

Broni

Mastermind
                      • Computer Help Forum
                    « Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 11:34:46 PM »
                    There is one simple thing to remember after every monthly updates session.
                    Check Event Viewer for event 4226. If it's back there, the patch stopped working, and needs to be reapplied.
                    I've been using this patch (or previous versions) for well over a year, and I had to reapply only once.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                      « Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 12:00:38 AM »
                      Thanks everyone for helping to educate me. There's a lot for me to digest there.

I certainly could not have chosen a better place to learn about computers. ;) :D ;D

All of you have been so helpful, my just saying thanks hardly seems enough. ;D
                      bear in mind that if they break the TOS of your ISP they are within their rights to simply cut you off all their services without warning.

Not such a bad thing for me BC_Programmer, Im on a two year contract. Just recently the price has come down and the available download limit is about the same.
                      They are welcome to shut me down... I'll just go somewhere else save money and get a faster speed, wireless or even cable.
                      I spend Au $70 a month now for 60 Gig and phone service. Other plans about are 50 GIG for $50 Au/mth no contract.

BC_Programmer, your wireless, is that provided by a copper line, such as a phone line to the house, into the router and then its wireless transmission to your computer or is that from the sky as in satellite to your router?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • BC-Programming.com
                      « Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 12:09:28 AM »
                      BC_Programmer, your wireless, is that provided by a copper line, such as a phone line to the house, into the router and then its wireless transmission to your computer or is that from the sky as in satellite to your router?

Cable to my router, which gives me the wireless signal.

Broni

Mastermind
                        • Computer Help Forum
                      « Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 12:44:31 AM »
                      I'm getting excited, because the fiber-optic should be coming to my place pretty soon, and they promise 50Mbps download speed :) :)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                        « Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 01:09:20 AM »
                        I have a wireless router (a D-Link) but I havent got it installed to the computer yet. I use it off a cable atm.
                        Would installing the card and making it wireless make it faster?

OOooowwww fiber-optic Broni, sounds great, and 50Mb/s.... You wont know yourself. Better get a bigger drive.  8)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 01:11:56 AM »
                        I would think Wired is always faster than Wireless.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                          • BC-Programming.com
                        « Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 01:22:42 AM »

barring of course a 10 mbps wired connection  :-X

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                          « Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 04:39:16 AM »
                          I cant even imagine how fast 50 Mb/s is!!!
                          Sounds like the blink of an eye.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                            • Yes
                            • Yes
                            • Yes
                          « Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 04:42:47 AM »
                          I cant even imagine how fast 50 Mb/s is!!!
                          Sounds like the blink of an eye.

Two blinks when downloading a 100MB file. :P

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                            « Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 09:40:14 AM »
                            Hmmm ... when I downloaded this large file there were times when I had 160 Kb/s.
                            I got the largest chunk of it then. It still took a few days in total though.

x2543

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
                            http://www.thelocal.se/7869/20070712/

A 75 year old woman in Sweden owns the worlds fastest internet at 50GB/sec  :o

My computer would be filled in a few seconds!!!

Broni

Mastermind
                              • Computer Help Forum
                            « Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 04:34:52 PM »
                            Speedtest gives me, on average, 15Mbps on my wired desktop, and 10Mbps on wireless laptop.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                              « Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 12:25:16 AM »
                              One can only wonder what a 75 year old woman would want with such speed on her internet. ???
                              Maybe she's got a lot of catching up to do.

Its seems Broni, that it is consistant with others, that wired is faster then. ;)

x2543

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 03:32:33 PM »
                              One can only wonder what a 75 year old woman would want with such speed on her internet. ???
                              Maybe she's got a lot of catching up to do.

Its seems Broni, that it is consistant with others, that wired is faster then. ;)

The man setting up the internet was doing a demonistration that it's possible I think. And yeah, in general, wireless internet isn't as good as wired.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                                « Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 01:21:27 AM »
                                Broni, I downloaded from the link for mydigitallife.
                                It has two (2) .exe files.
                                Does it have a main install file, or do I have to click on both the exe files to install the whole thing, please?

Broni

Mastermind
                                  • Computer Help Forum
                                « Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 09:36:51 AM »
                                The two files are: tcpz.exe, and tcpz64.exe.
                                The first one is for 32-bit Windows, the other one is for 64-bit.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                                  « Reply #40 on: April 10, 2009, 11:02:14 PM »
                                  Thanks Broni.
                                  How do I find out what mine is then? ::)

Broni

Mastermind
                                    • Computer Help Forum
                                  « Reply #41 on: April 11, 2009, 12:57:20 AM »
                                  Most likely 32-bit.
                                  Hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key. It'll tell you.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                                    « Reply #42 on: April 11, 2009, 01:07:04 AM »
                                    I took a break from what I was doing and had a look around.
                                    Yep seems to 32 bit.

soybean

Genius
                                    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                                    « Reply #43 on: April 11, 2009, 08:26:01 AM »
                                    I'm getting excited, because the fiber-optic should be coming to my place pretty soon, and they promise 50Mbps download speed :) :)
                                    How much will that cost?

Speedtest gives me, on average, 15Mbps on my wired desktop, and 10Mbps on wireless laptop.
                                    I get the same speed with my desktop and my wireless laptop.  My Internet service is 1.5Mbps downlaod.  Perhaps the difference between wired and wireless does not become evident until a higher speed Internet service is used.

Broni

Mastermind
                                      • Computer Help Forum
                                    « Reply #44 on: April 11, 2009, 10:05:02 AM »
                                    How much will that cost?
                                    There is no info on it, but my feeling is, it may be at no cost. I assume, Comcast is simply replacing their network with fiberoptic. I may be wrong though.

Perhaps the difference between wired and wireless does not become evident until a higher speed Internet service is used.
                                    I'd say so. My nominal speed is 6Mbps down.

BaRR

Beginner

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2009, 03:23:17 PM »
                                      There is no info on it, but my feeling is, it may be at no cost. I assume, Comcast is simply replacing their network with fiberoptic. I may be wrong though.

Well, they may be doing so at no cost. Sometimes, the best way to save money is by spending it. Many of the older copper lines are broken, worn out, or otherwise damaged by weather and other conditions. For example, we've had a large number of service calls here because of the damage to our local cable terminal/box/thing. If they replaced the faulty thing with an updated system, they would save a large amount of money on service calls.

Broni

Mastermind
                                        • Computer Help Forum
                                      « Reply #46 on: April 11, 2009, 03:24:23 PM »
                                      That may be it...

patio

• Genius
                                      • Maud' Dib
                                        • Yes
                                      « Reply #47 on: April 11, 2009, 03:26:19 PM »
                                      Trust me...their not going to give anything away for Free...
                                      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
                                        • Computer Help Forum
                                      « Reply #48 on: April 11, 2009, 10:08:48 PM »
                                      I did some digging: http://www.comcast.com/About/PressRelease/PressReleaseDetail.ashx?PRID=741
                                      The new 50 Mbps / 5 Mbps speed tier will be offered at $149.95 per month.
                                      Go to *censored* ;D

x2543

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2009, 10:18:21 PM »
                                      I did some digging: http://www.comcast.com/About/PressRelease/PressReleaseDetail.ashx?PRID=741Go to <censored> ;D

Does this beat Verizon's FIOS service where you can download up to 50 Mbps / Upload up to 20 Mbps for $144.95 per month?

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSInternet/Plans/Plans.htm

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                                        « Reply #50 on: April 13, 2009, 08:41:26 AM »
                                        I downloaded the link and installed it Broni. Now I can try it out and see if there is any changes. :D
                                        Now what to download  Hmmmm !!!

Broni

Mastermind
                                          • Computer Help Forum
                                        « Reply #51 on: April 13, 2009, 06:02:11 PM »
                                        I don't know, if you ever tested your internet speed before the patch, but check it out anyway: http://www.speedtest.net/

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                                          « Reply #52 on: April 16, 2009, 05:56:50 PM »
                                          Thanks Broni, Yes I did.... I didn't record the results but they were in the thread above.
                                          Soon as I get a chance I'll give it a run and post the result.
                                          Maybe you might be able to advise me on some other tweaks .... to refine the process. ;)

Broni

Mastermind
                                            • Computer Help Forum
                                          « Reply #53 on: April 16, 2009, 07:31:45 PM »
                                          Another tool worth to run...

Download, and install TCP Optimizer: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
                                          Open it, and put a checkmark in Optimal Settings. Click Apply changes button.
                                          Restart computer.

x2543

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2009, 07:55:29 PM »
                                          Check out the half open patcher, see the link here http://lifehacker.com/5213712/half+open-patcher-speeds-up-bittorrent-downloads

I did apply the patch, tested out torrent downloading and I saw speed increases especially for downloading multiple files at once. That's me though, don't know about what you'd get since everyone's different.

Broni

Mastermind
                                            • Computer Help Forum
                                          « Reply #55 on: April 16, 2009, 07:59:28 PM »
                                          From my experience...
                                          Before the patch, the fastest torrents were hovering just above 100kB\s, after the patch, good torrents fly easily at 300-400kB\s. I had a couple running at over 600kB\s.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                            • Yes
                                            • Yes
                                            • BC-Programming.com
                                          « Reply #56 on: April 16, 2009, 08:26:46 PM »
                                          and I, on the other hand, consistently get 1.5 megabytes a second for a torrent BEFORE the patch.  ;D

manish07

Rookie

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2009, 11:00:02 PM »
                                            I think its taking too much time for downloading because movies are too heavy.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                              • Yes
                                              • Yes
                                              • BC-Programming.com
                                            « Reply #58 on: April 17, 2009, 10:45:49 AM »
                                            LOL.

That reminds me, I better delete some files form my external drive, it's getting too heavy to carry around.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                                              « Reply #59 on: April 22, 2009, 03:23:03 AM »
                                              Holy Hokies Broni, I can only dream of 300 - 400 Kb/s.. :o
                                              I had a couple of downloads @ 160 ..... but more the rarity, than the norm.
                                              Im yet to get more time to dedicate at this time to the computer, these months April & May are busy with birthdays for me, and of course I've decided to paint the house inside and out right now too  ???

x2543, is this patch much the same as the one Broni showed us?, or particular to torrent downloads only?

my external drive, it's getting too heavy to carry around.

BC_Programmer, you could put wheels on it.  :D