Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Keeps Rebooting  (Read 3122 times)

ruquick77

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer Keeps Rebooting
    « on: April 07, 2009, 03:36:06 PM »
    Ok I need help guys.

Quick run down: My computer started having really bad artifacts so I pulled my video card out and had it tested at a local computer shop and they said it was bad. I RMA'd it and they sent me a 8800gt (had a 7950gt) I put it in and the started getting one long beep and 2 short beeps.

I pulled that video card out and took it to the computer shop and they said it was fine, worked fine in there computer.

So i replaced my PSU to "corsair TX650w" had a (Antec 400) now I get the boot screen with no beeps but it runs the Memory test and reboots, just does that over and over. I tried ESC to skip memory test, reboots and starts it again. I tried letting the memory test run and it reboots and starts again. I tried DEL to enter bios and it reboots and starts again.

I pulled all memory and tired each one, one at a time and get the same thing. Tired 4 different sticks. All sticks work fine in the wifes computer. Also I cleared the CMOS.

I need some help here guys so any help would be great. Here is what I have right now in the computer:

Mobo:  Asus A8N5X
    Video card:  evga card 8800GT
    2 HDD's not raid, one is just for storage
    one dvd drive
    CPU:   AMD X2 +3800
    RAM:   Corsair memory 2gbs
    (pulled from the wifes computer OCZ memory to try)
    PSU:   corsair TX650w PS
    BIOS i have is 1003

Thanks for any help
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:12:17 AM by ruquick77 »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer Keeps Rebooting
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:17:44 PM »
    Clean the RAM contacts with either a hard eraser or a QTip and rubbing alcohol...
    Use a can of compressed air to blow out the RAM channels.
    Let the RAM sticks dry properly and re-insert and re-boot...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ruquick77

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »
      Clean the RAM contacts with either a hard eraser or a QTip and rubbing alcohol...
      Use a can of compressed air to blow out the RAM channels.
      Let the RAM sticks dry properly and re-insert and re-boot...

Thanks for the reply, I tried that lastnight with no luck.  I also unplugged the hdd just to see if it was a software problem and I get 1 long beep 2short beeps.  Plug it back in and it runs memory test and reboots again.

Any other ideas?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 07:09:05 AM »
      What MBoard so we can determine what the beep codes mean...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ruquick77

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 07:10:26 AM »
        What MBoard so we can determine what the beep codes mean...

Asus A8N5X

ruquick77

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 07:47:46 AM »
          Hey guys I found this troubleshoot guide. I get all the way to number 13 and the computer runs the memory test and keeps rebooting. Someone please help me out here.   I tried 4 different sticks of memory and in different slots.  The first slot i get one beep on post and it see's my cpu then the memory test starts and just reboots and starts over, can't get in the bios either.  If i put a stick in any other slot I get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps.  I'm thinking the mobo is bad.

1 Nothing but the power supply, CPU,installed on the motherboard, plug your power cord in and turn power on.
          2 You should hear a series of long beeps & all your fans should be turning.
          3 The board is looking for memory.
          4 That tells you your 'board, CPU & power supply are working.
          5 Unplug power cord (very important an ATX power supply always has power to it when the cord is pluged in).
          6 Install 1 stick of RAM in the first bank, it should be marked either 0 or 1
          7 Plug your power cord in and turn your power on.
          8 You should get 1 long and 3 short beeps. It will be looking for the video card.
          9 That tells you your PS/'board/CPU/RAM are working.
          10 Unplug power cord.
          11 Install your video card and plug your monitor into your video card.
          12 Plug your power cord in turn your power on.
          13 You should get a power up test which is 1 short beep.
          14 You should see your CPU/RAM/video reconized on the screen.
          15 You will get a disk boot failure because you have no drives installed. In this case every thing you have installed is working.
          16 Shut machine down and unplug power cord.
          17 Install all your drives, set your BIOS up and install your operating system.