Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Zonealarm help and annoying popups.  (Read 5191 times)

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Zonealarm help and annoying popups.
    « on: April 14, 2009, 03:14:55 PM »
    A friend of mine has asked me for help on popups that appear on the taskbar when leaving sites. They use AVG, Spybot, and this Zonealarm thing which l nothing about. The taskbar is now showing a black "z" whereas it was in colour before and ANY trusted site l happen to post to them is blocked by Zonealarm.
    Apart from suggesting they take up knitting instead, have any of you gurus out there some suggestions for me?
    With thanks

PS. Also cannot download the free adaware program from filehippo.com because guess what, Zonealarm blocks the site!

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Dribbling Pensioner
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Zonealarm help and annoying popups.
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 03:19:50 PM »
    zone alarm will block a lot of sites and stop you doing things and downloading thats why i took it out , take it out you only need 1 antivirus , harry

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 03:37:49 PM »
      Harry my main man!
      Thanks for that, and what a quick reply. (thanks also for tolerating my ignorance, but this goes a little way in explaining some of their problems).
      But when l do a search on zonealarm some sites say it's an "all in one prevention"  package and some sites say it is just a "firewall" package. As l don't know what version they are using, it starts to get confusing as to what it is actually does do!
      Again, if they get rid of Zonealarm, use the MS supplied Firewall (which isn't the greatest but adequate) and just use AVG and Spybot, you think this will be sufficient?
      Thanks again

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:41:42 PM »
      But when l do a search on zonealarm some sites say it's an "all in one prevention"  package and some sites say it is just a "firewall" package. ]

That's the thing....If it's the antivirus version, then definitely get rid of it. Two antivirus programs can cause problems. If it's the firewall version, then just play around with the settings a bit. Look for something like "popup control" or similar.

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Dribbling Pensioner
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 04:05:46 PM »
      no problem willy