Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dot Pitch help  (Read 8486 times)

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Dot Pitch help
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 07:32:52 AM »
Well, of course!

My point was that the differences are all that large.

Maybe we should go back to sixteen color monitors for a while -- then we woudln't take the incredible resolutions we now effortlessly achieve for granted.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 09:53:37 AM »
I still don't take em for granted, I had to use a hercules monochrome on my first PC, which I got in 2003 I was upgraded to a Server 386 (40Mhz) which had- EGADS! a Trident VGA card.

All I cared about was the fact that windows 3.1 ran. Then I was given a copy of Visual Basic 2.0.

The rest is- well, the rest is what happened between that time and now, I suppose.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 09:55:47 AM »
You've paid your dues, BC!  I actually miss, every so often, some of the simpler interfaces.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 10:03:06 AM »
I still remember, Mode 3 I believe it was, for QBASIC and the hercules monochrome graphics mode.

So, At least I had a graphics mode. those poor sods with MDA cards had to settle for text. Of course I Don't know any poor sods that had to use MDA while I was using MGA, but I assumed they existed to supplement the whole "it could be worse" fantasy.

I wonder if I remember the resolution proper?

720*483...

nope, I was off by quite a bit:

720×348

... I got the 720 right, that has to count for something.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 02:15:35 PM »
I wonder if I remember the resolution proper?
Worth forgetting.   ::)
Historians will later say it never could have been that way because it is lacking in creditability due to the the sheer cupidity of it all.

Dias de verano

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 02:18:17 PM »
When a CRT monitor says 0.35mm that means 0.350mm. 0.35 and 0.350 are the same thing. So 0.283mm would be about the same as 0.28mm. It's just a more accurate measurement. They take the decimal to the next number to give a more technically accurate dot pitch.  Get it?

I am so surprised that this needed explaining!

Dias de verano

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 02:21:11 PM »
I had a Hercules card, and thought myself fortunate to have 720×348 pixels monochrome resolution with programs that supported it.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »
I'm not, anymore.  I struggle to stay off my soapbox.  I'm surprised, so often, by the gaps in basic knowledge which people with schooling, even college degrees, seem to have.  I know we can't all know everything, and I know the amount of knowledge available is probably on an exponential increase.  It seems so many people cannot display basic math and or reading and comprehension skills.

It's one thing to say, "I'm not good at math. Please help."  It's another to have never been taught the basic skills, or even worse, ignore the basic skills.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 03:48:57 PM »
or reading and comprehension skills.

Years ago, we adopted a young nine year old native girl who had not been to grammar school. She learned to read her own language, and we taught her English. But she had the hardest time understanding the concept of reading a standard wall clock. She prefers a digital wrist watch. Now She is living here in the USA, married, and adapted well and is a industrious worker and she likes cards. But not Clocks.

She has no interest in Dot-Pitch.
And when here computer goes bad I have to fix it.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 07:24:12 PM »
I understand gaps in understanding.  I have too many of my own.  I have a lot of patience for people not native to the US, as far as trying to use English.  (In fact, some non-natives deal with English better than many of us do.)  I won't have the whole rant here.  One example:  people who seem to have no idea of the differences between there / their / they're.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 07:29:32 PM »
That's a shame...their my 3 most favorite words to butcher.... ;D
Guilty as charged !
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 08:00:34 PM »
 ;D  Again, I'm not "saying" Don't ever make a mistake - it has more to do with how people "present" themselves, overall. 

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 11:50:30 PM »
I am so surprised that this needed explaining!

Really?
You must not get out too much.
My supervisor at work, didn't even know what six times seven was the other day. It's so depressing to think that some people struggle with second grade math.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Dias de verano

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2009, 01:36:50 AM »
Really?
You must not get out too much.
My supervisor at work, didn't even know what six times seven was the other day. It's so depressing to think that some people struggle with second grade math.

I was being figurative, I guess. You know, like when people say "I can't believe you just said that!" when they clearly do believe you just said it (they heard you). Maybe I should have used "horrified" instead of "surprised". Of course I know that many people lack basic number skills; I once read that 30% of British adults cannot divide 65 by 5 in their heads, or add 8 to 993. I also read about tests they did on 11 year olds which showed that if you asked them to divide (say) 18 by 3, around 40% could do it confidently, but if you phrased the question using something concrete like sharing 18 apples between 3 people, it went up to about 60%, and if you used money, it went up further still.

It annoys me when people proudly boast that they are "crap at numbers", when they would be embarrassed to admit that they couldn't read and write properly.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 09:04:32 AM »
Maybe everybody is wrong?  Look:
dot pitch
Last modified: Thursday, December 05, 2002
Also called phosphor pitch, a measurement that indicates the diagonal distance between like-colored phosphor dots on a display screen. Measured in millimeters, the dot pitch is one of the principal characteristics that determines the quality of display monitors. The lower the number, the crisper the image. The dot pitch of color monitors for personal computers ranges from about 0.15 mm to 0.30 mm.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/dot_pitch.html