Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Side by Side Configuration is Incorrect...For every program!  (Read 29750 times)

DarkLord1020

Topic Starter

Rookie

Side by Side Configuration is Incorrect...For every program!
    « on: April 14, 2009, 06:24:56 PM »
    Hello,
    I have always lurked around the site,
    but this is my first ever post for help
    =)

My problem is this:
    I am running Windows Vista 64 bit on an ASUS laptop and, after some "experimenting" with binding EXE's on XP and moving them over to Vista,
    I started receiving the dreaded error message "This program has failed to start because it's side by side configuration is incorrect". Now, I'm no noob when it comes to computers...
    But I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this problem.
    THe most common solution I have found is to install the Visual C++ Redistributable, thing is...
    When I run the installation EXE, the same error appears.
    I have attempted running in safe mode, system restore, and all the usual options, and every thread with this same problem is often ignored, therefore I have not been able to find a solution.

Can ANYONE here please help me?
    My father needs this laptop for his work...
    and it has been out of commission for almost a week now,
    so any help short of a repair installation would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Side by Side Configuration is Incorrect...For every program!
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:04:04 PM »
    "experimenting"
    What exactly would that be...?
    Where's MagicSpeed?
    Quote from: 'matt'
    He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

DarkLord1020

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:07:21 PM »
      What exactly would that be...?

lol,
      I was compiling a few programs whose source code I had edited [trying to get into programming and starting small...]
      Anyways,
      I compiled it on my XP Desktop,
      moved it onto my USB stick and moved it over to my Vista Home Premium 64bit laptop,
      ran it...
      and ever since then,
      EVERY .exe/.msi I attempt to run gives me the error.

=[

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 07:10:08 PM »
      lol,
      I was compiling a few programs whose source code I had edited [trying to get into programming and starting small...]
      Anyways,
      I compiled it on my XP Desktop,
      moved it onto my USB stick and moved it over to my Vista Home Premium 64bit laptop,
      ran it...
      and ever since then,
      EVERY .exe/.msi I attempt to run gives me the error.

=[
      What were these .exe/.msi files originally...before you corrupted them that is?
      Where's MagicSpeed?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 07:10:37 PM »
      Main reason i can see this not working for you is you are moving from a 32bit OS to 64bit...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DarkLord1020

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 07:14:38 PM »
        What were these .exe/.msi files originally...before you corrupted them that is?
        Uhmmm...
        I think I had used a simple EXE binder to bind a VLC installation file and...Hmmm, I can't remember the other file,
        but It MAY have been an IMGburn setup file...
        Now that I think of it, I haven't even had the chance to run the source-code file yet...

And
        Main reason i can see this not working for you is you are moving from a 32bit OS to 64bit...

And thank you
        =)

But...
        I already know how I screwed up  :-\
        Just no idea on how to fix it,
        seeing as to how the only repair option I've seen so far is being blocked...

Is there any way for me to somehow compile/run the Visual C++ Redistributable from a .bat file?

[Programming...is in no way my strong point =X]

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »
        Uhmmm...
        I think I had used a simple EXE binder to bind a VLC installation file and...Hmmm, I can't remember the other file,
        but It MAY have been an IMGburn setup file...
        Now that I think of it, I haven't even had the chance to run the source-code file yet...

And
        And thank you
        =)

But...
        I already know how I screwed up  :-\
        Just no idea on how to fix it,
        seeing as to how the only repair option I've seen so far is being blocked...

Is there any way for me to somehow compile/run the Visual C++ Redistributable from a .bat file?

[Programming...is in no way my strong point =X]
        If you do want help, I suggest you leave out the MAYs and "Hmmm, I can't remember the other file" and try and stick to what you DID do.
        Where's MagicSpeed?

DarkLord1020

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 07:36:57 PM »
          If you do want help, I suggest you leave out the MAYs and "Hmmm, I can't remember the other file" and try and stick to what you DID do.

Sorry,
          I just didn't think that how I got to the problem would help,
          figured the problem itself was all you guys needed...
          Anyways,
          I did some digging into my cluttered desktop, and here are the files I joined, what I used, etc.

Program to merge files- EXEJoiner
          Files merged- VLC media player setup and IMGburn setup

They were merged on my 32-bit XP Pro system and transfered over to my 64-bit Vista Home Premium system.

I executed the merged file,
          and it failed to start giving me an error message about being incompatible with my system.
          I figured no big, deleted the file, and carried on.

After restarting my computer shortly afterward,
          I attempted to run Firefox, but it gave me the error message:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail"

Checking the Event Viewer, I have a boatload of "Side by Side" errors, each with an Event ID of 59.

The error reads: "Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\sysWOW64\TAPI32.dll", error in manifest or policy file "C:\Windows\Winsxs\manifests\x86_Microsoft.windows.c..-controls.resources_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6001.18000_en-us_72e6f33f34dfabb9.manifest" [Whew!] on line 0. Invalid XML syntax.

Hope that helps?
          Sorry about before
           :-[

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 07:40:17 PM »
          Sorry,
          I just didn't think that how I got to the problem would help,
          figured the problem itself was all you guys needed...
          Anyways,
          I did some digging into my cluttered desktop, and here are the files I joined, what I used, etc.

Program to merge files- EXEJoiner
          Files merged- VLC media player setup and IMGburn setup

They were merged on my 32-bit XP Pro system and transfered over to my 64-bit Vista Home Premium system.

I executed the merged file,
          and it failed to start giving me an error message about being incompatible with my system.
          I figured no big, deleted the file, and carried on.

After restarting my computer shortly afterward,
          I attempted to run Firefox, but it gave me the error message:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail"

Checking the Event Viewer, I have a boatload of "Side by Side" errors, each with an Event ID of 59.

The error reads: "Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\sysWOW64\TAPI32.dll", error in manifest or policy file "C:\Windows\Winsxs\manifests\x86_Microsoft.windows.c..-controls.resources_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6001.18000_en-us_72e6f33f34dfabb9.manifest" [Whew!] on line 0. Invalid XML syntax.

Hope that helps?
          Sorry about before
           :-[
          Does EXEJoiner come with a Readme file? If so, please attach. I think that EXEJoiner is causing the trouble...
          Where's MagicSpeed?

DarkLord1020

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:49:35 PM »
            Does EXEJoiner come with a Readme file? If so, please attach. I think that EXEJoiner is causing the trouble...

No ReadMe log I could find,
            It is a part of a program called "Net Tools 5", which is a compilation of a large amount of tools for many different operations,
            googling EXEJoiner, I came up with nothing about it, so unfortunately, no readme.

I have EXEjoiner on my Desktop only, if that matters.

From what I have read, this may have something to do with the Visual C++ Redistributable 64-bit needing to be installed after attempting to run a poorly compiled program one on OS, and moving it to Vista.

I apologize if I am way off, as I said, this isn't my strong point.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 07:51:37 PM »
            No ReadMe log I could find,
            It is a part of a program called "Net Tools 5", which is a compilation of a large amount of tools for many different operations,
            googling EXEJoiner, I came up with nothing about it, so unfortunately, no readme.

I have EXEjoiner on my Desktop only, if that matters.

From what I have read, this may have something to do with the Visual C++ Redistributable 64-bit needing to be installed after attempting to run a poorly compiled program one on OS, and moving it to Vista.

I apologize if I am way off, as I said, this isn't my strong point.
            You could try that. I have never personally used EXEJoiner (it sounds interesting, but also a bit easily corruptable), so this is now out of my league.
            Where's MagicSpeed?

DarkLord1020

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »
              You could try that. I have never personally used EXEJoiner (it sounds interesting, but also a bit easily corruptable), so this is now out of my league.

Thanks for the help
              =/

With the Visual C++ Redistributable, I have downloaded it and everything,
              the thing is...when I attempt to run the installer, I get the same error message as I do for every other program/installer.

Would you happen to know of any other install methods?
              Whether it be a manual unpack and moving it all over somehow, some sort of CMD workaround or anything?
              I'm pretty desperate at this point, this being nearly my third day working on it...

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 07:58:42 PM »
              Thanks for the help
              =/

With the Visual C++ Redistributable, I have downloaded it and everything,
              the thing is...when I attempt to run the installer, I get the same error message as I do for every other program/installer.

Would you happen to know of any other install methods?
              Whether it be a manual unpack and moving it all over somehow, some sort of CMD workaround or anything?
              I'm pretty desperate at this point, this being nearly my third day working on it...
              Sometimes when downloading something, mirrors are often ZIPPED, to save the trouble of people installing programs...although with C++, it's not very likely...can you do a system restore?
              Where's MagicSpeed?

DarkLord1020

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 08:09:56 PM »
                Sometimes when downloading something, mirrors are often ZIPPED, to save the trouble of people installing programs...although with C++, it's not very likely...can you do a system restore?
                No luck with Zipped content so far...
                And I have restored as far back as I could, still no change
                >_<

Hmmm,
                My Vista 64-bit came pre-installed on my laptop, but the recovery discs are only for a complete system restore, but I have heard that using the Vista disc itself would allow you to do an "In place upgrade", basically re-installing core-system files without modifying personal files/settings...

Seeing as to how this means I have an OEM version,
                would I be able to use Vista disc of the same addition [although retail] in order to preform said upgrade and hopefully repair damaged files?

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 08:12:48 PM »
                Hmmm,
                My Vista 64-bit came pre-installed on my laptop, but the recovery discs are only for a complete system restore, but I have heard that using the Vista disc itself would allow you to do an "In place upgrade", basically re-installing core-system files without modifying personal files/settings...

Seeing as to how this means I have an OEM version,
                would I be able to use Vista disc of the same addition [although retail] in order to preform said upgrade and hopefully repair damaged files?

1. I think that might be the only thing that might work, although it's still possible that might not even work...
                2.You could try it. Backup any essential files to a flash-drive etc. and go.
                Where's MagicSpeed?