Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shutdown a PC within same workgroup  (Read 8118 times)

talorababu

Topic Starter

Rookie

Shutdown a PC within same workgroup
    « on: April 13, 2009, 08:56:49 AM »
    Dear

I want to shutdown/restart my user's PC who are within the network. I can access into their PC by "Remote Desktop Connection" wizard of Windows XP. To do so, first I log into their PC and follow run->cmd->then Add user's PC by their IP/computer name within their PC, then it does work.

But can't shutdown/restart from my PC by following the above procedure i.e. run->cmd->Adding user's PC by their IP.

Please help.

Regards
    talorababu

macdad-

Expert

Re: Shutdown a PC within same workgroup
      « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »
      Why are you wanting to do this?
      If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

talorababu

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »
        Why are you wanting to do this?

Dear

As I am the Administrator of my official network, I need to do that due to resolve my user's difficulties.

Please come back.

Regards
        talorababu

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:51:25 PM »
        We don't understand. If you are the administrator then you were the one who setup the shutdown procedure on all the PCs to began with. You have a policy that determines if and how any PC on the network will shutdown.

If you are using server 2003 you need to review the documentation about remote shutdown. It is not the same as for all XP PCs in a simple network.

But if any  PC has had an extreme hardware or software failure, nobody can service it by remote access. It has to be physically serviced by a technician.

talorababu

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 01:07:45 AM »
          Dear

Thanks for your come back.

Yes, you are correct that I should have made the shutdown policy of my user who are using mostly windows XP and I also.

But my confusion is that, when I logged into user's PC by using "Remote Desktop Connection" wizard of windows XP, I can have entrance into their PC and can shutdown/restart by following the steps run->cmd->shutdown -i >then add user's PC by their IP or computer name->then select shutdown or restart and it does work.

But my dear, I don't want to get entrance into user's PC by using "Remote Desktop Connection" wizard. Simply, from my PC (I use windows XP), I want to follow the above mentioned procedure that is, run->cmd->shutdown -i >then will add user's PC by their IP or computer name and will select shutdown or resrart and their PC will shut-off or restart. I saw a demonstration in youtube but can't do yet.

Please help.

Regards
          talorababu

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:09:20 PM »
          run->cmd->shutdown -i >then will add user's PC by their IP or computer name and will select shutdown or resrart and their PC will shut-off or restart. I saw a demonstration in youtube but can't do yet.
          Yes, that is the right method. But there is also a policy that prevents it.The shutdown is a security issue. You will have to control the policy on that particular PC.

But.... This is another possibility. Read this:
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322625

talorababu

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 09:46:49 PM »
            Dear

I am really greatful for your kind help.
            You are very much prompt and helpful.
            Hope you wouldn't be annoyed if I bother you for any other issue in future,

All the best.

regards,
            talorababu