Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 18% Don't understand the term 'Broadband'  (Read 8797 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: 18% Don't understand the term 'Broadband'
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 08:22:07 PM »
Once again, I shall not just repeat what quaxo says.
My private definitions:

Broadband - (n) A vegtable related to the Broad Bean.

ADSL Broadband - (n) This is a misnomer. Beans have nothing
to do with A Dull Lazy Sim.

Dongle - (n) A small piece of...  what Dogs leave behind and you
have to clean up.

Blu-ray - (n)A wonderful creature found in blue tropical waters.

Half of young Californians are taught in school there is no point
in having a map beyond the Colorado River
Besides that, they know New York
was taken over ny Neu Joisy.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 08:44:36 PM »
Screw all those Polls and national averages...
My 5 year old nephew knows every State capitol...
He also can find pretty much any nation on the Earth on a globe...
I guess he wasn't called for the poll.
Ridiculous.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 09:37:48 PM »
Screw all those Polls and national averages...
My 5 year old nephew knows every State capitol...
He also can find pretty much any nation on the Earth on a globe...
I guess he wasn't called for the poll.
Ridiculous.

Agreed.

I'm American, and I'll be the first to admit that we've got our fair share of ignorant people, but so does anywhere else. These polls rarely vary much from country to country.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 09:46:52 PM »
Sorry 'bout the Kansas comment Quaxo...picked at total random.
No offense.
patio.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 11:54:53 PM »
Sorry 'bout the Kansas comment Quaxo...picked at total random.
No offense.
patio.

Haha none taken really.

mroilfield

Mentor
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 02:35:24 AM »
I wish it was a universal law requiring that when the results of a poll are given they also tell you how many people are polled and how the poll was taken.

If there was a poll about how many people liked Starbucks and they just give results like 80% of people like Starbucks that gets people to start thinking there is something good about it.

But

If the same poll results were given with the amount of people polled and where the poll was taken then what the majority thinks would be different.

Example: Today there was a poll taken outside the local Starbucks and out of the 10 people polled 8 of them liked Starbucks.

You hear news stations giving poll results all the time and they make big deals out of the results but most of them fail to tell you that out of the entire U.S. they only polled 2,000 people.
You can't fix Stupid!!!

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 03:26:10 AM »
I wish it was a universal law requiring that when the results of a poll are given they also tell you how many people are polled and how the poll was taken.

If there was a poll about how many people liked Starbucks and they just give results like 80% of people like Starbucks that gets people to start thinking there is something good about it.

But

If the same poll results were given with the amount of people polled and where the poll was taken then what the majority thinks would be different.

Example: Today there was a poll taken outside the local Starbucks and out of the 10 people polled 8 of them liked Starbucks.

You hear news stations giving poll results all the time and they make big deals out of the results but most of them fail to tell you that out of the entire U.S. they only polled 2,000 people.

Actually, through that link Broni provided, and another link on that page, you can view the full report which gives all of the information on that survey they did. They interviewed 510 "random" people across America between 18 and 24 during the Winter break when people have more on their minds than where Sudan is or what the majority religion in India is. It proves nothing. Basically, it says they went door to door and asked if there was someone 18 to 24 who would be interested in participating in the survey, then they interviewed them there on the spot. And there's a perfectly good explanation for those results: All of the smart people refused to take the survey because they were too busy with Christmas activities.  ;D

But seriously, if you read through the methodology, you can see they didn't express at all what locations these houses were in or the literacy level of the persons interviewed. There was no screening process for the participants other than age and sex (to meet quotas for each). Who's to say that, by chance, they just happened upon some of the most ignorant people in the US? The sample is too small to be conclusive. That's something like 0.0001% of the population, or 1 in 500,000, that they interviewed.