Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WIN 95 UPGRADE  (Read 37088 times)

macdad-

Expert

Re: WIN 95 UPGRADE
    « Reply #60 on: May 02, 2009, 06:02:05 AM »
    I pretty much ment that they have an app that just changes the Iphone's main menu to look like a Windows destop screen with "My Iphone" as the my computer replacement  ;)
    If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2009, 08:09:59 AM »
      oh  :o
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

barklr

Rookie

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2009, 12:40:34 PM »
        XP refuses to install on anything less then a pentium with MMX.

recommended RAM for Windows 95 is 4MB.

recommended RAM for Windows XP is 256MB.

And windows 98 will ALWAYS be faster on a pentium 2. You are vending lies.

Windows 95 will install/run on any 386 or higher processor. XP will NOT install on a 486.
        who told u xp would not run on an old 486 as for ram rigfht now i'am at 32mb on this notebook an xp-3 is running fine
        all u need is at lest 2gig of disk space to install
        i put it in an old toshub 305 (486) notebook an it worked fine

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #63 on: May 02, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
        Nobody told me. I just extended the error message from setup, "Windows XP cannot be installed with your processor configuration" as a indication that it won't work.

Also, XP setup refuses to proceed with less then 64 MB of RAM.

UNLESS of course your using a illegitimate copy, which is a different scenario altogether.

Nobody TOLD me these things. I've tried. And it wasn't a "slow" 486, it was a 120 Mhz DX-2. with 32MB of ram, pretty much the same as your laptop's configuration.

So then I implore you to guess as to why windows setup refused to install? And don't say "disk space" of which there was far more then the 1.5GB XP requires. (not 2GB as you've said- minimum can even go down to around 900MB if necessary).

And even in the case it COULD install, the resulting OS would be unusably slow.

Lastly, a Toshiba 305 is a P3 machine.

I personally was able to get XP installed on my K6-2 via an  upgrade install from windows 98SE. I needed to borrow memory since it refused to upgrade because I had less then 64MB of RAM.
        I removed the  RAM and returned it to it's owner afterward. The computer required the shutdown of almost ALL services and background tasks simply to run, and it's pagefile bloated to epic proportions, consuming almost 3GB of my 8GB drive.

Performance was not acceptable in this situation but being that I had no way to backup and simply reformat back to windows 98SE (and I hadn't been able to save uninstall information due to insufficient diskspace) I lived with it.

Upping the RAM to 128, 256, and finally 512MB made it a far more usable machine. In no way would I consider 32MB of ram for ANY machine running windows XP. to insist otherwise is ridiculous; there are other operating systems far more fit to run under such memory limitations, just as other Operating systems  are more suited to older processors. the fact that it may be possible to force XP to install on such unsuitable machines is no the issue- it's performance.

Sure, with determination and a lot of spare time one could use switches, or even manual methods, to install XP onto a 486 with 32MB of RAM. but the purposes of such a pursuit can only be curiousity. to even suggest that such a configuration can be palatable to anybody is to portray your own inexperience on the issue.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2009, 05:52:17 AM »
          I concur but I thought that you at least had to have 256 and I could probably do that on my other 486 given that it needs a drive but maybe.
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #65 on: May 03, 2009, 08:00:31 AM »
          Sure, with determination and a lot of spare time one could use switches, or even manual methods, to install XP onto a 486 with 32MB of RAM. but the purposes of such a pursuit can only be curiousity. to even suggest that such a configuration can be palatable to anybody is to portray your own inexperience on the issue.

You betcha! Two years ago, I installed XP my old Casio Data Bank watch I got when I was 12 years old! Sure it had like 25kb of storage and absolutely no RAM, but who needs those things anyway?!

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2009, 08:14:44 AM »
             ???  you dont ram so much but  ???

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #67 on: May 03, 2009, 08:16:27 AM »
            yeah doods I god Vista running on my can of tomato juice! it ROXORs!

barklr

Rookie

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »
              Nobody told me. I just extended the error message from setup, "Windows XP cannot be installed with your processor configuration" as a indication that it won't work.

Also, XP setup refuses to proceed with less then 64 MB of RAM.

UNLESS of course your using a illegitimate copy, which is a different scenario altogether.

Nobody TOLD me these things. I've tried. And it wasn't a "slow" 486, it was a 120 Mhz DX-2. with 32MB of ram, pretty much the same as your laptop's configuration.

So then I implore you to guess as to why windows setup refused to install? And don't say "disk space" of which there was far more then the 1.5GB XP requires. (not 2GB as you've said- minimum can even go down to around 900MB if necessary).

And even in the case it COULD install, the resulting OS would be unusably slow.

Lastly, a Toshiba 305 is a P3 machine.

I personally was able to get XP installed on my K6-2 via an  upgrade install from windows 98SE. I needed to borrow memory since it refused to upgrade because I had less then 64MB of RAM.
              I removed the  RAM and returned it to it's owner afterward. The computer required the shutdown of almost ALL services and background tasks simply to run, and it's pagefile bloated to epic proportions, consuming almost 3GB of my 8GB drive.

Performance was not acceptable in this situation but being that I had no way to backup and simply reformat back to windows 98SE (and I hadn't been able to save uninstall information due to insufficient diskspace) I lived with it.

Upping the RAM to 128, 256, and finally 512MB made it a far more usable machine. In no way would I consider 32MB of ram for ANY machine running windows XP. to insist otherwise is ridiculous; there are other operating systems far more fit to run under such memory limitations, just as other Operating systems  are more suited to older processors. the fact that it may be possible to force XP to install on such unsuitable machines is no the issue- it's performance.

a 305 cdx is a 486 the newer 305-4658's are p3 and p4

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #69 on: May 04, 2009, 02:06:28 PM »
              a 305 cdx is a 486 the newer 305-4658's are p3 and p4

HuH ? ?
              Stop digging.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2009, 02:09:05 PM »
                I agree

barklr

Rookie

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »
                  toshiba satellite pro 490cdt  p2 @266 32meg ran expandable to 32 meg
                  10.4 gig hdd running xp just fine (its slow but it no slower then 2000)
                  installed from an xp upgrade disk

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  « Reply #72 on: May 04, 2009, 07:42:49 PM »
                  funny, I have a Satellite Pro 440CDX and my attempt to install XP failed. 133Mhz Pentium 1, 144MB of RAM. Tried it ages ago. I was bored.

satellite pro 490cdt  p2

that's not a 386 or a 486.

Windows XP will NOT install onto a 486 architecture based CPU! a Pentium processor is the MINIMUM requisite for processor specifications!

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2009, 06:20:30 AM »
                    Must of been a pirated copy  ;)
                    If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #74 on: May 05, 2009, 10:33:50 AM »
                    Must of been a pirated copy  ;)

That's possible, I'm sure with a bunch of pointless tweaks and changes XP could be forced to run on a sub-requirement PC.

the question is, to what end?