Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buying software downloads  (Read 3058 times)

MarshSt

Topic Starter

Rookie

Buying software downloads
    « on: April 24, 2009, 09:22:13 AM »
    I am looking for a reasonably priced way to get Microsoft Access 2003 on my home PC so I can get a head start on learning it for work. I am running MS Office 2003 Standard. MS Access 2007 is easy to find and reasonably priced but we are using 2003 at work and the files are not compatible in both directions. I located a source on the web where I can buy a download of 2003 (  <SPAM link removed>  ) but I am not sure if doing that is legit. Is this a legal way to buy the software, will it probably run OK and has anyone dealt with this company before?

Thanks,
    Steve
    « Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:35:09 PM by evilfantasy »

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Buying software downloads
    « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 09:43:41 AM »
    I would definitely not buy from that site.  Chances of getting prirated/illegal sofware are very high, and the software would cause problems for you.

A much better option would be to go to ebay and get Office 2003 Professional.  As far as I know, Access 2003 was not sold separately, so you need to get the full Office suite. 
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:17:12 PM by soybean »

paulb2009

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »
      You can purchase Access separately (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Access-2003-OLD-VERSION/dp/B0000AZJV4) but for that price, you may want to just go ahead and purchase the full Office Professional 2003.

MarshSt

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 05:47:37 PM »
        Thanks for the feedback.
        I got an unopened Office 2003 Pro OEM disc from eBay that should get me what I need. Legally and with updates.

Thanks again,
        Steve

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 06:17:10 PM »
        Thanks for the feedback.
        I got an unopened Office 2003 Pro OEM disc from eBay that should get me what I need. Legally and with updates....
        Presently making such a purchase on eBay is safe. But you need to check the sellers reputation and how long he has been there. Vendors  on eBay come under more scrutiny than interdependent web sites with misleading claims.

MarshSt

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:23:37 PM »
           Thanks for the heads-up. I checked out his history and feedback before letting go of my money. I have already received a shipping confirmation......so-far so good.
            What's the deal with e-bay requiring them to ship hardware with all software?

Thanks,
          Steve

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:01:02 PM »
          What's the deal with e-bay requiring them
          to ship hardware with all software?
          That is, I think, a requirement of the software copyright holder. Some software is sold as a promotion or package with hardware. Thee owner of the software may stipulate that such software can not be sold apart from some hadware tha is somehow related to the software.

The details of contracts made with hardware manufactures and not always made public in every detail. You can guess as to why they do this. Perhaps  to let you know there is something different about the purchase and you are not getting the product with the same terms of sale as the retail package. And there are some other issues that would not directly impact you, but are important in the retail distribution chain.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 07:29:44 AM »
          In a nutshell an OEM copy of Windows is tied to hardware and this is how they meet that requirement...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

MarshSt

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 08:20:16 PM »
             I received the software as advertised and pretty quick shipping too. It was a gateway OEM disc set. The part about being linked to the OEM makes sense for licensing reasons. I didn't get any hardware though, so the seller either chose not to send it or it was "lost in the mail".
             Thanks again for the feedback.
            Steve