Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell or HP  (Read 9174 times)

slab69

Topic Starter

Rookie

Dell or HP
    « on: April 30, 2009, 08:06:55 AM »
    I am looking at purchasing a server for my workplace.  I have priced and HP ML350 and Dell T300.  I have experience with the HP servers, but not with Dell.  How do they compare?

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Dell or HP
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:59:58 PM »
    Hp.  Dell is the worstestestest.  I wouldnt ever trust important data with them

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »
    I find Dells to be very resilient, but that's just looking at my old Dell Inspiron 4000. Hardware is hardware. Get whichever one you think will suit the job best.
    You should be considering their customer service and warranty service and availability.

x2543

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:25:24 PM »
    but from what I've been told, HP is more of a multimedia type while Dell is more of a business type (although you can find mutimedia/gaming dells and busniess HP pc's)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 10:28:30 PM »
    Funny....I thought HP seemed like the business-type. :P

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 11:08:40 PM »
      Business or Multimedia? Windows is Windows...

Definitely go HP. The service over at Dell is horrible. I am in the middle of a class action lawsuit over their crappy warranty.
      Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

x2543

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 11:16:16 PM »
      well anyway at least my schools computer labs are all stocked with Dell PC's. I thought Dell PC's were bit cheaper or why would my school stock full of it? Dell PC's not bad for its job though.

Griff

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 11:24:49 PM »
        well anyway at least my schools computer labs are all stocked with Dell PC's. I thought Dell PC's were bit cheaper or why would my school stock full of it? Dell PC's not bad for its job though.

Dell created this really REALLY cheap line of computers for works places and schools. (I tihnk you can get those models for like $79 a piece right now.)
        Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 12:01:08 AM »
        Business or Multimedia? Windows is Windows...

Definitely go HP. The service over at Dell is horrible. I am in the middle of a class action lawsuit over their crappy warranty.

To be fair, Here is a search I just did on Google about Dell lawsuits.
        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&cr=countryUS&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=z7B&q=allintext%3A+DELL+warranty+class+action+lawsuit++%22class+action+lawsuit%22&as_qdr=w&btnG=Search

Finds 43 posts in the past 24 ours. Notice that others are also named. HP, Toshiba and others along with Dell.

x2543

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 12:07:49 AM »
        better business bureau (www.bbb.org) gave Dell a C+ rating. How's that?

BBB Rating

Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of C+.
        Reasons for this rating include:

* Government action(s) against business.

Click here for an explanation of BBB Ratings

This BBB report
            BBB Definition:

report - A summary of activity reflected in a company's BBB file. Includes basic business background, BBB Accreditation information, and BBB complaint activity over the previous three years. Also reports may include any known government actions, advertising issues
            BBB Definition:

advertising  issues - Claims alleging print or electronic media advertised claims or practices misrepresent the service or product offer.
         or other information that results from activity conducted by BBB.
         reflects international complaint activity.

Consumer complaints received by the Bureau allege difficulty gaining technical support and/or customer service due to language barriers, extensive hold periods, and being transferred from one department to another while trying to obtain support. The company generally responds to the complaints by troubleshooting with the consumer, or dispatching a technician for support in compliance with the consumer's warranty coverage. Furthermore, the company also responds to complaints by referring consumers to their website in order to gain support.

Complainants also express confusion regarding the warranty coverage as well as the return period applicable to their purchase. The company generally responds to the complaints by reiterating the terms and conditions they agreed to and clarifying the warranty coverage or return period related to the purchase. The company generally issues a credit return authorization number for authorized returns.

mroilfield

Mentor
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 04:17:47 AM »
        I have seen both Dell and HP comps that are pretty much dead right out of the box and then again I have seen both be put thru way more abuse then any comp should have to go thru and still work like they were new.

Since you are setting up a work place server I would have to agree with Carbon and say that you need to look at service, warranty, availability, and what you can get for your money.
        You can't fix Stupid!!!

x2543

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 11:38:26 AM »
        I never thought of looking at the Better Business Bureau!  I have installed and supported HP/Compaq but never Dell.  Now I know why.  Thanks guys.

Dell PC's not really bad quality all the time, my dad still uses a old P3 desktop from Dell that's 7 years old, but what I'm finding out is their servicing and tech repair guys make you want to stay far away from them.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 11:42:12 AM »
          Dells have been my choice, very good quality.

Customer Support: Ok-ish
          Hardware Upgrades(For the small towers of course your not gonna get much upgrades) but as far as the regular and large towers: Really Good

My old(now dead) Dell Dimension 933r, lasted for 7 years.  8)
          If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

billrich

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 11:46:33 AM »
          When we visit a Government office at the Local, State or Federal level we see Dell 90% of the time.

Consumer Reports rates Dell  very high.  HP is also rated high.

x2543

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 03:00:54 PM »
          It's not the products that the company is making that's having the major problems ... it's the customer support that's having the issues.