Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS DOS Partition Problem thru fdisk  (Read 12636 times)

Roger_B

MS DOS Partition Problem thru fdisk
« on: May 18, 2004, 07:44:09 PM »
I want to fdisk my hard drive and reformat it with no partitions. My problem is it has a partition. I followed all instructions necessary but fdisk tells "You can not delete an extended dos while logical drives exist". I then go to delete any logical drives in extended but the response is"NO logical drives DEFINED" on the bottom it reads "All logical drives deletd in Extended Dos Partition".. I need answers. Please

SKy

Re: MS DOS Partition Problem thru fdisk
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 11:37:36 PM »
Mayb u shd view the partition n let us know what's there(think it under option 4)

Harddisk have primary, extended and logical partition. R u trying to remove all? If so u can use "format" command.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 12:50:39 AM »
    Roger......What operating system are you going to install after your format ?  when you run FDISK use (4) to view the current partition . If you want to remove it ....just follow instructions.....it does work.....lol
    you should have the option of selecting how big you want the partition to be........
    get back with the answers.

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

geek5

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 12:52:59 PM »
    If you don't have any logical drives but still can't delete your extended partition, it must be a system problem,  never heard of anyone not beig able to delete their extended partition^_^

wif at the bottom it say no logical drives then it should work, if not i'm stumped ;D

RogerB

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 07:09:27 PM »
    I'm going to retry everything you guys suggested. I think the previous owner did something to the hard drive when he/she partitoned it. I'm using WIN98SE.I'll let you know. Thanks! ;)

Roger_B

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 07:28:58 PM »
    Mayb u shd view the partition n let us know what's there(think it under option 4)

Harddisk have primary, extended and logical partition. R u trying to remove all? If so u can use "format" command.

SKy,
    I formatted it 3 times. Still a PRI and EXT. PRI is FAT32 EXT is not. I enabled and not enabled during the 3 times.

Roger_B

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 07:35:19 PM »
    Roger......What operating system are you going to install after your format ?  when you run FDISK use (4) to view the current partition . If you want to remove it ....just follow instructions.....it does work.....lol
    you should have the option of selecting how big you want the partition to be........
    get back with the answers.

dl65  ???

dl65,
    I tried every option and formatted hard drives at least 3 dozen times. I type 4 and it asks me to view it I say "Y" then it says NO Logical Drives Defined.. What's up with that? :-[

Roger_B

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 07:39:03 PM »
    Bottom Line-I want My C drive to be not partitioned. I formatted. I fdisk the living daylights out of it. The EXT is still there. Why? ???

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 08:29:41 PM »
      Roger...After you have formatted ......and you look at the hard drive with FDISK .......what does it show you....
      Does it ask you to define the size of the partition or what ?
      Once it shows you the whole drive as available load your operating system and your done ....

dl65  ???

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 08:44:54 PM »
        Roger ...One more thing.......Are you trying to format using the tried and true method.........HUMMMMMM that didnt work , I'll try something else.......that didnt work either.........HELP........why dont you read about formatting and reloading Win 98SE......LOL

http://www.webuser.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=PC&Number=47193&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=9&o=93&part=all
        It will walk you thru ..on step at a time .
        You can disregard the last part about creating partitions.

let us know how you make out...

dl65  ???

Roger_B

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 08:46:16 PM »
        dl65,
        I had to DEBUG it. Now I have to reconfigure my cmos to read my cdrom. Any advice?

Roger

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 08:54:51 PM »
          Roger....So your bios doesnt see the cd-rom........Does your boot disk have the drivers on it for the cd ?
          and what boot sequence have you set up in Bios ?

dl65  ???