Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Constant Hourglass  (Read 3173 times)

folklectic

Constant Hourglass
« on: April 30, 2009, 06:37:10 PM »
Greetings!
I just discovered this site trying to find an answer to a Windows XP problem. WOW! Lots of good stuff here!

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 thats a couple years old, running XP and Avast as the anti virus software.
Recently, Avast warned me a Trojan had been detected but not to worry ...just move it to the chest, which I did.
Now, upon startup, after the desktop appears the icons in the system tray are missing and the pointer becomes an hourglass when crossing onto the task bar. I am unable to click on ANYTHING including the start button.
I tried this Microsoft fix from the safe mode but it didn't change anything:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
   2. Click Services and Applications.
   3. Double-click Services.
   4. In the Services list, right-click SSDP Discovery Service, and then click Properties.
   5. On the General tab, in the Startup type drop-down list, click Disabled.
   6. Click OK.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Folkletic

hiloed

Beginner

Re: Constant Hourglass
    « Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 02:31:48 PM »

Have you tried going to control panel to mouse settings and change pointer settings to default. It has worked at times.

Good Luck

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Constant Hourglass
      « Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 02:43:01 PM »
      Do a system restore to a point prior to the problem starting in Safe Mode:

Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore / choose a restore point.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!