Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux server pathway  (Read 3518 times)

sorcerer2066

Linux server pathway
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:13:26 AM »
Hi

A friend of mine has just bought space on a dedicated server (linux) and asked me to help put his website up.

I was going swimmingly until I reached the point where I was asked for a path to a Mysql database that I was installing... And I had no idea but what made me really cross is the Fasthosts tech support don't offer linux support and just told me to go to the internet and search... :-(

Anyway in the absolute hope that anyone could possibly point me in the right direction plleeeaassee could someone tell me how to find the correct pathway?

The instruction on the mysql install panel says:
    * The default location where your digital files will be placed e.g. /server1/root/files/
You must enter a valid folder.

the old pathway was: e:\domains\p\88.208.217.126\user\htdocs\ipnmonitor\files\

Any ideas what the new pathway could possibly be?

Thanks so much in advance

Jen

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Linux server pathway
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 12:38:44 AM »
Maybe this is of no help.
Or maybe this is what you need.
Rather than spend more time digging SQL and  PHP I take the easy way out.
May cheap web space places offer a GUI called 'cpanel' and a feature bundle called "Fantastico".
Last count I have about three test sites. After I build them I run out of ideas. Poor motivation.I read a book on WordPress. The gist of it is that you don't want to do the programming, you just want to start up a Blog or a Chat or a Forum. Whatever. With Word Press, or one of the other ready made Blog in a Box things, you just install it the way it wants and POW you got a web site!
I could not get the WordPress to install by hand. So I used the Fantastico tool and presto. It worked right the first time!
Or, if you like the CH site, just install SMF. It's very easy!
To see this. just Google 'cpanel demo' and look it over. It uses mySQL.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Linux server pathway
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:15:56 AM »
Your MySQL "path" may be of the format, 'mysql://username:password@localhost/databasename' - but that really depends on your application.  What is the application that you're trying to configure to work with MySQL?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos