Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with sound and also a query about an infected hard drive  (Read 1788 times)

hre2stay

Topic Starter

Rookie

Right where to start. My computer recently contracted a virus that turned AVG and firewall against the computer. This lead to AVG deleting many necessary windows components which when the computer was restarted it just kept rebooting over and over.

So I switched the hard drive with an old one that used to be in the same computer. Only problem is the sound has gone completely. Volue control will not open at all. I used to have aprogram called adeck.exe that made it work and I have ried downloading thos but the installer will not complete.

Now the second question. The raher heavily infected hard drive has some really really important stuff on there that I would really like to salvage. This may be a stupid question but would I be really stupid to put this in the computer to try and salvage the stuff or will it certainly infect the other hard drive?

Any answers would be helpful. Many thanks

OS is XP service pack 1

Also motherboard is made by VIA.
    « Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 07:54:03 AM by hre2stay »

KingPincer

Intermediate

Re: Problem with sound and also a query about an infected hard drive
      « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »
      For me yes it will infect the other hard drive. It's like putting a infected flash drive to a clean PC.

hre2stay

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »
        I presumed so. Could I ybe no do it in safe mode?  ???

hre2stay

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 09:07:29 AM »
          Also I have kind of figured out the problem there is a question mark next to VIA AC 97 Audio controller WDM (code 10) so I have figured out that I need Vinyl v700b however when I try to install this it will not do it. It says it has been interupted

EDIT - fixed the sound problem - Hooray - AC97 was disabled in setup on reboot. Dances around the room. Only took 3 days
          « Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:03:52 AM by hre2stay »