Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it safe to charge a notebook with different adapter?  (Read 2530 times)

Reno

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Is it safe to charge a notebook with different adapter?
    « on: May 27, 2009, 09:10:45 AM »
    i've a old adapter which is no longer use. i plan to use the old adapter to charge my new notebook at home, and new adapter to charge notebook at work. so i don't have to carry the adapter between work and home.

1. old laptop hp omnibook:
    adapter:
         input 100-240v    1.8A      50/60Hz
         output 19V - 3.16A     polarity  -@+
    back of the notebook:
         input 19V - 3.16-3.30A             -@+

2. new notebook asus:
    adapter:
         input 100-240v     1.5A    50/60Hz
         output 19V - 3.42A          -@+
    back of the notebook:
         input  19V - 3.42A  65W

can anyone confirm that it is safe to do so.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Is it safe to charge a notebook with different adapter?
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:59:16 AM »
    You can probably get away with this.  The current variation is so slight that I suspect no damage would be done.  Your new laptop may potentially overdraw current on the old adapter but the worst I suspect that will happen is that the old adapter's life will end a little earlier than it might otherwise have done.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Reno

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 10:55:48 PM »
      You can probably get away with this.  The current variation is so slight that I suspect no damage would be done.  Your new laptop may potentially overdraw current on the old adapter but the worst I suspect that will happen is that the old adapter's life will end a little earlier than it might otherwise have done.
      doing so, i would not burn anything right? i don't want the battery explode or the motherboard smoke.
      if the only possible effect is that  the life of the old adapter is shortened, then i can take it as long as the new notebook not smoking. :P

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:59:04 PM »
      You'd only see effects like that if the adapter was delivering too much current then the laptop can handle. in this case the adapter doesn't even meet the laptops requirement, so the laptop will be drawing a little bit more power.

Sometimes when the laptop detects this circumstance it refuses to charge the battery while it's still on, but that's the only possible side effect I could see on the laptop.

The adapter on the other hand, as Rob said, will have a reduced life, at best.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.