Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: proxy servers  (Read 16334 times)

hot dog

proxy servers
« on: May 28, 2009, 07:31:07 PM »
Where can I get a list of proxy servers in or near Woodlake, California?

I'm trying to optimize my mom's dial-up connection :P

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: proxy servers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 07:55:51 PM »
Where can I get a list of proxy servers in or near Woodlake, California?

google.ca?
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 07:58:55 PM »
Not saying you're wrong, but how will a proxy optimize dial-up?  By making the connection appear closer to the dial node?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

hot dog

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 08:06:17 PM »
haven't had any experience with proxies, but from what I read, if you go through a proxy server then you get all those cached files that you might not have if you were not going through a proxy.

I don't mean to imply that a proxies are essential for optimizing a dial-up connection
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:33:28 AM by blockHEAD »

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:58:27 PM »
If they do improve your dial up, go to http://geotool.flagfox.net/ and find out the location of the servers for the proxy (or whatever that makes it work).
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

hot dog

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 10:10:27 PM »
For some reason I got it into my head, when I first read about proxies, is that you have to find one as close to the local computer, as possible.  But I think I've have a little better idea here....... I found a list of different proxies and used your seach engine to locate the approximate locations of each, helpmeh.

Whether being close to the proxy that you are using makes any difference, I'll have to just find out :o

oh, and THANKS guys ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:34:04 AM by blockHEAD »

hot dog

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 05:21:29 PM »
thinking about this further, it seems like being close to your proxy would make a difference....

What if the server for the website you are accessing is in the USA, and the proxy used is in another country....You would have to go all the way to another country and back to the USA to get your files, if they are not already cached in the proxy ???

If someone with a bit of proxy experience knows any better, please come forth ;)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 12:15:51 AM »
Distance is almost irrelevant on the internet.  Latency is the issue.  Your connection is only as fast as the narrowest most contended pipe between your PC and the destination (proxy) server.  A proxy server literally next door to you that everybody hits, sitting behind a 128kb upstream connection is going to be a lot slower than a proxy server in Outer Mongolia behind a synchronous 10Mb pipe with only one user...
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 01:04:57 AM »
what does proxy server have to do with optimizing internet connection? As far as I understand, proxy server is just to simulate an IP address on your pc so that the end that is receiving the IP does not read it as the actual one you have.

So let's say you are downloading two files from a website that allows only one single connection and you have two pc's connecting to it from same internet connection. Perhaps proxy can make 2nd pc appear to be a different connection so that it bypasses the redundant ip check.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 01:14:19 AM »

The smiley suggests a cover-up.

hot dog

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 01:38:31 AM »
thanks Rob P.  I suppose then it would make more sense to TRY to find a proxy with a little traffic as possible.  But then of course, you wouldn't have as many cached files (because less sights are being accessed)  so in one sense you are defeating the purpose of using the proxy.

I suppose then that the security of hiding your IP address would be more of a benefit as opposed to taking advantage of cached files...does that seem like more of a reasonable assessment?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 02:37:34 AM by blockHEAD »

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 01:52:19 AM »
Exactly what 2x3i5x said.

hot dog

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 01:52:37 AM »
The smiley suggests a cover-up.

Could you be any more specific.....not exactly sure what you are trying to say? ;)

hot dog

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 01:55:29 AM »
Exactly what 2x3i5x said.

lol..............please forgive me, but I still don't get it... ;)

I mean, I get what 2x3i5x is saying but don't get the significance of the "smiley"

hot dog

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 02:08:43 AM »
what does proxy server have to do with optimizing internet connection? As far as I understand, proxy server is just to simulate an IP address on your pc so that the end that is receiving the IP does not read it as the actual one you have.

So let's say you are downloading two files from a website that allows only one single connection and you have two pc's connecting to it from same internet connection. Perhaps proxy can make 2nd pc appear to be a different connection so that it bypasses the redundant ip check.

this gives me a bit more insight into what a proxy COULD be used for :o......thanks