Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: tried vista autographics driver update search, pc crashed, screen black.  (Read 2891 times)

windowshell

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I turned on my computer last night, and for some reason unknown to me, the icons were massive and the resolution made everything really big.
    I tried adjusting screen resolution. but it only gave choice of 800x600 or 1024x768 or something like that, but neither made any difference. I`m on another pc now describing this because the vista only shows a black screen..

I tried system restore points going back to a few days, but no difference in restarting, and nothing once again happening when I try to adjust screen resolution in control panel, it used to give me options such as 1200x1600. (I have dual 4gigram, geforce 8800gts graphics card).vista64bit.

So I tried the autosearch feature for a new graphics driver update thinking this may be it, so it started searching then, bang the screen goes black.
    I have tried rebooting many times including trying to get into safe mode F8 but the screen stays black showing a "no signal" sign.

I can always hear the windows vista system coming up from the speakers but obviously cannot see the screen to login, I do what I usually do, hit enter to select admin, then my password then enter hoping this logs me on and makes the screen visible but the screen remains black...

The on button at the front of the acer LCD monitor goes green as I turn it on, but then fades to orange again.

All this when I tried to do the driver search.. @!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is killing me, I have so much data on that pc I never backed up either aaaghg!!!.

its impossible to know where I am even if I do press F8 and go to safe mode as I cannot see where I am tabbing to, to get to last good configuration...

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    If the monitor stays black even in Safe Mode, you don't have driver issue.
    Bad video card, bad VGA/DVI cable, bad monitor.

Do you have on-board video, or real video card?
    Try different monitor, or THIS monitor on another computer.
    Try different cable.

windowshell

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I dragged it to the repair store,
      they said if the video card becomes unstable the system defaults to the motherboard graphics,..or something like that. the guy there was able to start it up in safe mode, don`t know why I couldnt, and then set the settings to 1600x1024 instead of 1600 x 1200 ,saying the higher the resolution the more it taxes the graphics onscreen. . I thought the nvidea geforce 8800 GTS could handle it all, I just use email and word documents.. but then this is vista 64 bit and my lifes been *censored* the last 2 years with it. it is haunted by ghosts of sorts making their own decisions. less unstable with the service pack, but as soon as I can afford a mac i`m movin ship. My bro and sis have no problems on their macs like what i`ve dealt with.
      hopefully windows 7, becomes heaven and not my windows *censored*.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      I'm glad, you sorted it out.
      Thanks for posting back :)