Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Age old topic:  Apple vs. PC  (Read 6448 times)

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: Age old topic:  Apple vs. PC
    « Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 11:29:59 AM »
    Thanks for the info dl65.  Now, I have yet another question: What's the difference between the Micro. Win XP Home OEM version with sp2 and the Mic Win  XP home upgrade sev Pack 2?  ??? There's just a $10 difference between them.  Is it that the upgrade has more security features?  And, would I be able to install that version, should I chose it, on top of Win ME?
    Is there a big learning curve on using XP when I've used to ME?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 12:26:43 PM »
      MarleneD......The differance is ...... Home OEM version with sp2 can be installed on any machine where as ...... the Up Date version may only be installed on a machine which already has a M/S upgradeable O/S installed on it ........Or in other words ........If you were to wipe the hard drive on your pc ......( remove all data from it ) you could not install the win xp upgrade ........you would have to reinstall the Win ME and then install the XP Up grade over it .

Hope this helps you .

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 12:27:19 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 12:41:08 PM »
        Yes, that helped somewhat.  So, does that mean I can install either version on top of my Win ME? I wonder  why the upgradable version is $10 more?  
        Would installing one be better than the other?
        Thanks a bunch!  ;D

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 01:19:42 PM »
          MarleneD..... Usually a upgrade version is less than the regular version ........
          In any event , if it was my machine , i would be completely removing ME and start with a nice new fresh install of Win XP ........
          Installing one o/s over another is like taking your car into a body shop and telling then just fill in the dents with body putty and paint it .....( don't worry about the rust ......noboby can see it ) .........

Hope this helps you .

dl65  ::)
          If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 07:11:49 PM »
            Yes, I think I will do a "clean" install.  
            Thanks to all of you Computer Hope Gods & Computer Hope Fulls :  Flame, Fed, hywaydave, dl65, & Computer_Commando!   :)
            You've all helped me so much.  I'm sure after I do the install (probably before) you'll see questions again from me.  This has been the best computer help forum I've seen so far! ;D