Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virtual Machines  (Read 9100 times)

hot dog

Virtual Machines
« on: June 02, 2009, 03:40:52 PM »
How important are Virtual Machines in the Industry?  Do many common folk use them or is it more of a thing for geeks and techs.?

I'm probably going to get my self a Virtual Machine on my computer because I'm curious about them.  In college, when I took the Official Microsoft Vista course,  the instructor set up a Virtual Machine on his network and we had access to a virtual Vista Machine.  But I don't recall exploring it's capabilities too much...

If I want Windows on a virtual machine, would I have to get a License Key or does M$ offer it free?

Ironman

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Virtual Machines
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 04:06:07 PM »
Virtual Machines are very important in the Computer Industry, more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine

Google this next time...

hot dog

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 04:19:45 PM »
Google this next time...

I hate google!! >:(

just kidding...

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 05:26:30 PM »
I use it all the time, but I'd say it's something for people, who are interested in computers.
An average user has little need for it.

hot dog

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 12:16:27 AM »

An average user has little need for it.

ha ha ha, as I recall............I was just kidding ;)

please forgive my awkward sense of humor.......

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »
A lot of large organisation use virtualisation now.  Partly because powerful hardware can do so much more than run one operating system now.  It is a major boon in the hosting industry because you can create a high degree of separation between clients.  E.g. rather than have several web sites for different clients running on one server, they can all have their own server.  No chance of directory traversal attacks.  Also, in the event of a disaster, recovery is easy.  You just restore an image of the virtual machine onto any of your servers.  Done.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

hot dog

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 03:21:47 PM »
A lot of large organisation use virtualisation now.  Partly because powerful hardware can do so much more than run one operating system now.  It is a major boon in the hosting industry because you can create a high degree of separation between clients.  E.g. rather than have several web sites for different clients running on one server, they can all have their own server.  No chance of directory traversal attacks.  Also, in the event of a disaster, recovery is easy.  You just restore an image of the virtual machine onto any of your servers.  Done.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!   It's the disembodied head.......run for it!!    :o

far out......so, do I have to pay money to get a virtual copy of Windows for a virtual machine, or can I just download one ;)

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 03:27:37 PM »
You can install from any windows cd (with license key) that you already have.
I mostly use ms virtual pc and ms virtual server. I don't have a whole lot of virtual machines where I work because a lot of our software demands independent hardware, but for things like email server, ms reporting server, & log/performance monitoring, it's great to use virtual machines.

hot dog

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 03:38:49 PM »
I have a machine in my house with Vista Business installed, and I have a machine with Windows XP Home installed...

With respect to the XP machine, I only have the OEM installation disk that came with the computer...Could I use that disk to install XP onto a virtual machine, on my Vista computer or would I need a real Microsoft disk?

The Vista Machine specs are:  Pent. 4 Processor w/hyperthreading,  1.5 Gig DDR2, 160 Gig. SATA HDD

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 04:01:16 PM »
Could I use that disk to install XP onto a virtual machine

I would.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 04:55:15 PM »
Yepper...
Remember the Drivers...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hot dog

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 05:15:09 PM »
excellent...

[attachment deleted by admin]

hot dog

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 08:17:34 PM »
Ok, I'm downloading M$ Virtual PC 2007...   we'll take this baby for a test spin soon

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 08:23:57 PM »
I use VMWare, but I took M$ Virtual PC 2007 for a test ride couple of months ago.
Worked fine, except for one annoying thing. I was never able to force it to work truly full screen.

hot dog

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 08:50:33 PM »
Where can I get VMware?