Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: beginner  (Read 3647 times)

ritchiezy

beginner
« on: June 11, 2009, 08:14:18 AM »
i am a newbie to unix, i use unix in company. but i want to practice more, how can i install a unix on my personal computer and if i can't, can i install linux instead? are their commands same?

thank you

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: beginner
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 11:29:17 AM »
Linux and Unix are very similar.  Solaris is Unix-based, so that's a good option for the greatest similarity.  OpenSolaris is free and can be downloaded and run on PC hardware.  Head over to DistroWatch for the low down on all the Linux distributions, including some that can co-exist with Windows (but I don't recommend that in your case - I think it might confuse the learning process).
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »
Rob is, as always, correct.  I'm not aware of any "free" versions of UNIX besides the OpenSolaris.  Learning Linux is a much less expensive alternative, and you will see many similarities which will help you become familiar with UNIX.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 03:00:40 AM »
I'm thinking also that some of the BSDs may be worth a look.  It's been a while since I tried one but FreeBSD is very Unix-like too.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos