Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor Help!!!!  (Read 2323 times)

Dirkpitt45

Topic Starter

Starter

Monitor Help!!!!
    « on: June 13, 2009, 11:15:39 AM »
    I have this POS dell dimension 3100 desktop that has worked for a while now. About two years ago I bought a new video card for it, nividia 1800 or something like that (don't remember exactly). Anyways ever since I installed that my computer has been set up as having dual monitors, even though I don't.  Its running windows XP home edition SP2.

I asked the store I bought the card from about it and they just had me set boundaries and sort of disable the ghost screen. It has given me problems in the past but I've managed to work fix or workaround them. Until now.

On startup the loading windows XP screen shows up, then disappears. Then the screen is black and I have no cursor or anything, but the monitor is turned on and working fine apparently. I can also use the keyboard to log on, I can tell because of the noises the computer makes.

This makes me think that something might have happened to the video card. Or I accidently changed some setting sometime ago and it just decided to work now. The one thing thing that does work is safe mode. That tells me that hardware failure is probably not likely. I was following instructions from a colleague of mine, and I am supposed to be able to change monitor settings once at the properties menu. Except the only options I can change are the resolution and colour settings.

I was planning on buying a new computer anyways but can't for a couple weeks. I'm hoping I can fix this by myself without having to take it into a shop and pay a stupid amount of money for something that could have a simple fix.

Thanks in advance

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Monitor Help!!!!
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »
    ever since I installed that my computer has been set up as having dual monitors
    What does make you to think so?

If the monitor works fine in Safe Mode, but not in Normal Mode, it looks like a driver issue.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
      • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 12:02:44 PM »
    I agree with Broni. It has something to do with the videovard driver. May we ask what videocard driver is loaded on your computer? Tight click My Computer icon > Manage > Device Manager. Click on the plus sign beside the display adapter. It will show you the driver your computer is using.
    "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
    --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 12:04:35 PM »
    Don't click too "tight" though ;D

Dirkpitt45

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »
      Well under properties then settings for desktop, two monitors show up in the little box. One big, one small.
      My sister said she was playing around with the settings under there trying to stop it from opening windows off the screen. So I'm thinking she might have set it for the old integrated video chip. Also I tried plugging in the monitor to that, and a message pops up on the screen saying it cannot support the selected resolution. I'm not sure how to access those setting through safe mode, if you can. I'll try changing the resolution maybe and plugging it into the old port.

@Jerry, There is the Nvidia Geforce4 MX 4000, and the built in chipset one.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 12:07:58 PM »
      under properties then settings for desktop, two monitors show up in the little box. One big, one small.
      It's normal.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »
      Haha! Yeah, not too tight.. ;D

You can disable the driver for the built in chipset. Right click on that one then disable. Then restart your computer.
      "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
      --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

Dirkpitt45

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 12:22:03 PM »
        It's normal.

Hmm well I feel rather dumb now. Always thought that meant dual because depending on which side I dragged it to was which side my cursor and windows would go outside the boundaries.

@Jerry, Wow it works now, at least the I could log in and can see stuff again. Just waititng for it to finish starting up now. Your a freaking genius lol, I've been messing around with everything and all it took was a right click pretty much..Wish I'd known about that earlier.

Edit: Yeah everythings working fine and my cursor doesn't go off the screen anymore! Must've been some sort of conflict between the drivers. I love you guys lol, thanks for the help.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 12:25:07 PM »
        Always thought that meant dual
        Yes. That means, you can use that feature, IF you have two monitors.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »
        Glad to hear your computer's fine now. ;D

Just continue browsing/reading on this site man. There are more genius people hanging in here, including Broni. ;D
        --Kuya Daniel Razon

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 12:33:50 PM »
        Please....LOL

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 12:41:51 PM »
        That was sincere.. :) I know you're more experienced than I am, ;D
        CLOSED.
        --Kuya Daniel Razon