Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer will not boot up  (Read 1862 times)

donduck

computer will not boot up
« on: June 15, 2009, 07:09:21 AM »
help i have an hp pavillion s3115.uk computer it will not boot up no beeps or anything the cpu fan seems very loud 
can any point me in the right direction of what might be wrong thanks donduck

truenorth

Guru

Re: computer will not boot up
    « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 07:22:46 AM »
    donduck,Welcome to the CH forums. Can you please tell us any of the circumstances that led up to this current situation. Such as something you were doing or recent changes made to the computer. Or perhaps a power interuption.truenorth

westom

Intermediate

Re: computer will not boot up
      « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 10:26:20 AM »
      help i have an hp pavillion s3115.uk computer it will not boot up no beeps or anything the cpu fan seems very loud 
      can any point me in the right direction of what might be wrong thanks donduck
        Process starts by determining what is and is not good - definitively.  The foundation of any computer is its power supply system - not just a supply.  30 seconds with a multimeter will answer that question decisively.

For example, since voltages exist but are not at proper numbers, then the control circuit for that fan would have no control - fan would spin fast.

In your case, simple VDC measurements of any orange, red, purple and yellow wires in the nylon connector where supply connects to the motherboard will provide necessary numbers. Those numbers must exceed 3.23, 4.87, and 11.7 when the computer should be on and that fan is spinning.   And those numbers will also tell me things not apparent to you.

Also useful are numbers on the green and gray wires both before and when power switch is pressed.  Green wire should drop from a high number to near zero when the power switch is pressed.  Gray wire should have a near zero number; then rise to something above 2.4 VDC within a second after  the power switch is pressed.

That is less than a minute of labor.  Then we know everything about the power supply system.  Either fix that system or move on to the few other suspects.  Numbers mean the fastest answer you will get AND mean the few who actually know more can reply.