Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Scanjet 4370  (Read 3552 times)

powrus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

HP Scanjet 4370
    « on: June 17, 2009, 07:12:14 AM »
    I have an older HP scanner which is installed correctly with current drivers but when attempting to scan there is no destination available in the "scan to" box.

HP tech support has worked with me on this via email for a week and finally indicated the scanner is out of warranty and dollars would be required in order for them to continue on with the trouble shooting.  They also advise me that since the scanner is installed properly the problem seems to be in some other area of my system (Vista Home Premium).

This problem surfaced last week following a troubleshooting spree with my HP Deskjet Printer.  It seems too coincidental that fixing one piece of hardware would immediately cause a second piece of hardware to stop working without some sort of internal software link. (Both the HP scanner and the HP printer are connected to the system via individual USB ports.)

Question:  If I purchase a new scanner that is NOT a HP product - one which is current and IN-warranty - would it seem unreasonable to assume that the new product would also run up against the software issue present in my current scanner?  The unpopulated "scan to" issue makes me wonder if it is something which needs to be addressed by Vista.

Please advise.
    Roger

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: HP Scanjet 4370
      « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 07:50:59 AM »
      Have you tried uninstalling both the printer and scanner?  That's where I'd start.  A lot can be said for uninstalling & reinstalling  ;D

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

powrus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:27:40 AM »
        Hello Alan -  I appreciate your reply to my scanner problem.  In answer to your question, "have you tried uninstalling your printer and scanner" the answer is no not today.  In fact, since trouble shooting my printer problem and managing to get that up and running I haven't touched it for a week.  Regarding my scanner, it has been uninstalled and reinstalled a dozen time over the past week with no resolution to my problem.

That said, maybe I should try it just one more time and uninstall both HP components and then reinstall them one at a time.  Nothing to lose at this point  Plus, I have the sense that while dinking around with my HP printer "batch files" something went awry with my scanner.

Thanks again.  I'll give it another try.

Roger

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:42:52 AM »
        Remember Roger if it is a USB scanner DO NOT plug it in until the install software asks for it...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

powrus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 09:47:59 AM »
          patio -    Good advice on the USB connection.

Just a note for Alan to say I COMPLETELY uninstalled both the printer and the scanner and then shut down my operating system and even unplugged the ac supplies to both pieces of HP equipment.  After waiting 15 minutes, I re-powered the printer and proceeded with the printer installation.  I replugged the printer's USB connection only when prompted.  Following that printer installation, I did a system restart.  Result was flawless installation with a properly operating printer.

Now I focused upon the HP scanner.  I re-powered the scanner and proceeded with the scanner installation and replugged the USB connection only when prompted.  I noted that the scanner and associated drivers were completed in good order (as indicated by pop-up box at the bottom of my Vista screen).

Result:  Old problem still exists.  Trying to operate my scanner resulted in the same problem wherein there is no destination in the "scan to" box.

I'm thinking now that if I purchase a new scanner - say a brand other than a HP such as a Canon - that upon install if the product doesn't work properly, Canon may have a tech support for the new product.  Any thoughts?

Roger

powrus

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 02:32:33 PM »
            Hello again, Alan -   Wow!  Thank you for all your efforts in tracking HP/Vista issues.  That was above and beyond the call of duty here.  Without sounding the least bit ungrateful, those options you provided have been tried and used during the time HP tech support was tossing emails back and forth.  None of the basic fixes seemed to hone in on the real issue - which is perplexing in itself.  Near the end of our "free" relationship, the HP techs were directing me to make minor changes to files and commands, often in DOS. 

In the end, I am going to scrap both my 2006 printer and scanner and buy a new all-in-one product for under a $100 that comes ready for Vista.  Not certain about the exact brand or model at this time but whatever it is will be purchased locally and it will probably be a Brother or a Canon or a Lexmark.  HP may be great, but under the circumstances my love affair with HP will take time to renew.  I will go with whichever printer/scanner the salesperson pitches the best <G>.

Any advice on this new purchase decision is MORE than welcome right now.

Again, thank you for your interest followed by your thoughtful responses. 

Roger