Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: %temp%  (Read 22367 times)

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

%temp%
    « on: June 19, 2009, 12:23:10 AM »
    I have been trying to free some disk space from my computer.  Need to defragment and keep getting - not enough disk space error... - I was just looking at a video on metacafe.com that showed how you can go to start/run/ and type in
    %temp%.  Then it shows that the files in this folder (Temp) are to be deleted in order to free some space. Just wanted to know if this is safe before I delete anything in the folder?

Thanks

Mulreay

Re: %temp%
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 01:07:45 AM »
    OK you need to do a disk cleanup first. Because we don't know your operating system XP, Vista etc you can find it in...  start button, all programmes, accessories, system tools disk cleanup. Then after you have said 'yes' to clean it all. You need to check the space left on you hard drive. So go to Computer and click on the HD. Depending on your platform (Vista, XP) you will probably need about 10-15% of free space to perform a defragment. If you don't have this space then you need to delete enough files (films, videos, music etc) to create that space then go to system tools and defragment. If you cant find it then do a windows search for defrag an it will show up. Using XP turn off your screensaver and have no programmes running in the background. Vista not so much a problem. Either way it can take a few hours to complete depending on the size of the drive and the amount of fragmentation.

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:13:15 AM »
    If you have any problems at all then please post back and myself or one of the other members will gladly help you.

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
      Sorry for not being specific about my problem. I have Compaq Presario, XP home edition.  I have deleted everything that I can think of.  I had a lot of jpg and video so I put them on a CD and deleted most of the others.  I went into add/delete programs and deleted a bunch of stuff that I didn't know I even had on the computer.  I did a disk clean up and deleted all of the temp files, recycle bin etc.  I went to Compaq.com and did an update on my drivers and did another disk cleanup. After all of that, I still only ended up with 4% space.  Yes, I need 15% to do the defrag, but can't figure out what else I can delete without messing up the system.

That's when I did a blind search and found the metacafe video. When I did the start/run/%temp%, There over 90 files with the .tmp suffix in this folder.   I went back to disc cleanup and there was nothing (0 KB).    So that is why I am asking if it is safe for me to delete these files?  I am going to go back into add/delete programs and make sure there is nothing else there, but I truly do not think so...Help!

Mulreay

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:08:41 AM »
      Can we have the beginning part of the .tmp files so we know what they are. I know it's a pain but were all flying blind here.

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »
        No pain...I'm the one needing the help.  Here are some of the .tmp files in the folder.

~3B.tmp     ~12C.tmp    ~61.tmp     ~94.tmp    ~114.tmp     ~190.tmp     ~AA.tmp

~DF1EC7.tmp     ~DF2E24.tmp     ~DF4AEF.tmp      ~DF4BDF.tmp     ~DF4C6B.tmp

~DF5D82.tmp    ~DF5E60.tmp      ~DF6D5.tmp     ~DF7B0D.tmp     ~DF7B43.tmp

~DF7B64.tmp    ~DF8BEE.tmp     ~DF10B9.tmp     ~DF10E5.tmp     ~DF11B8.tmp

~DF14C0.tmp    ~DF14DA.tmp     ~DF36E.tmp     ~DF42DF.tmp     ~DF47B0.tmp

~DF47B7.tmp     ~DF69ED.tmp     ~DF69FC.tmp     ~DF76A1.tmp     ~DF137D.tmp

~DF171D.tmp     ~DF201A.tmp     ~DF434D.tmp    ~DF604A.tmp     ~DF853.tmp

Mulreay

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:27:02 PM »
        Do me a favour and download this:
        http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

run a scan and post the details on here. I may need to get you moved to a different forum to talk to Evil_Fantasy but we will see.

billrich

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 01:51:39 PM »
        1)  start, All Programs, accessories, System Tools and click Disk Cleanup

2) http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/cleanup.htm
        ( Free registry cleanup by Microsoft )

3) "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe"
        http://www.ccleaner.com/download

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:22:31 PM by billrich »

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »
        Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
        Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
        Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
        TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 01:58:24 PM »
        Or you can do that.   ;)

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 02:40:47 PM »
          When I started to run this program - TFC., I got an alert from my PC Tools Threat Fire program.  Potentially malicious.  Should I just "allow this procss to continue".  Can't afford any more problems...

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 02:42:31 PM »
          Yes, ignore the warning. The program is perfectly safe.

2x3i5x

Expert
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 03:02:56 PM »
          that was just a warning to make sure you're aware that you're gonna be potentially changing settings on your computer and so don't worry and continue on as Broni already mentioned  :)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 03:41:47 PM »
          Just so you know...cleaning out Temp files and such is only going to produce minimal results...
          You should look at things like getting rid of Apps you haven't used for 6 months...burning data such as videos pictures and music etc. to get anything done...

That being said i would also consider buying a new HDD...the prices are great right now.

And we can assist you on cloning the old drive to the new one if you decide this is the way you want to go....

Let us Know...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 05:03:14 PM »
            I ran the TFC...Thanks but it only brought me to 8% free space.  That's better than nothing. 
            Can't afford any HDD's no matter price.  Not working...Tight-tight budget during summer months, although I appreciate the suggestion.  I have done everything.  I have an adobe reader 9 program that is taking up 204MB of space but it will not delete.  Keep getting error message about a "key". 

I'll dig some more to make sure I got all my pics on CD.  I had a lot of them and it took me a while to get them burned.  I may have missed a folder.  I had a lot of stuff from school and deleted all of that.  I will check all my folders and let you know if I find the culprit.  I will uninstall printer/scanner and reinstall, but that's not gonna be enough.  Thanks everybody.  Any more suggestions are welcomed...

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 06:22:39 PM »
            Two more things, you can do is to reduce System Restore size: http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_restore.htm (last section), and get rid of hibernation file: http://www.tunexp.com/tips/maintain_your_computer/remove_hibernation_file/

Bobh

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 06:39:28 PM »
            Multeay -
            The problem Shea has sounds just like the problem I had.  You sent me to evilfantasy.  I felt sorry for him.  I am so dumb he had to tell me every step.  However he got rid of a virus which was on D drive and it cleared up my problem.  Could Shea have a virus that is filling the storage?   Bob

Mulreay

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 09:10:54 PM »
            I don't think so to be fair we just need to find the files that are eating up storage space Bobh.

2x3i5x

Expert
            « Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 11:28:22 PM »
            Check out one of these programs, it can analyze your computer to see what's eating up your pc's hard drive space...

1. Glary Utilities has a disk analysis built in, and free version is fine to use .... http://www.glaryutilities.com/

2. One of the programs listed on this website: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/04/30/find-out-what-files-and-folders-are-taking-up-hard-drive-spaces/

Mulreay

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 11:49:21 PM »
            1. Glary Utilities has a disk analysis built in, and free version is fine to use .... http://www.glaryutilities.com/

This has ties to regcure so be careful and don't get a reg fix programme they are generally useless and especially in your situation.

2x3i5x

Expert
            « Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 11:54:01 PM »
            This has ties to regcure so be careful and don't get a reg fix programme there useless and especially in your situation.

Mulreay, I list that program because it has the disk analyzer. That's the main part of the program that is the important part here. I didn't say anything about using the registry cleaning part of the program, nor does one need to be playing with the registry unless they got a real need to be touching it.

Mulreay

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 11:57:23 PM »
            Sorry 2x3i5x It was not a slite on you but some people with less knowledge than ourselves can read the adverts and get drawn in by them. I just wanted to make sure that there was no reg curing going on. Again not against your link just trying to be informative.
            As you can see from my post I said be careful not ignore it.

2x3i5x

Expert
            « Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 11:59:47 PM »
            Sorry 2x3i5x It was not a slite on you but some people with less knowledge than ourselves can read the adverts and get drawn in by them. I just wanted to make sure that there was no reg curing going on. Again not against your link just trying to be informative.

Sorry Mulreay, I didn't mean to have directed that statement at you, it should be directed at original poster and whoever else would benefit from this information  and of course, people should be careful on that part, although I've not heard bad things about glary utilites, but still you should be careful when using any program that can change settings on your pc or something like that ;D

Anyhow, let's see what original poster (Sher) has done to this point, and whether or not he or she posts a response if interested in continuing on with  fixing the problem at hand  :)

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 01:08:27 AM »
              Hello all... I ran the treesize freeware and found the culprit!  I have a backup folder the size of the grand canyon (25,000+MB). 

There are 2 files in the folder (backup 11+ kb and restore backup14+ kb). 

Do I need both of them? What instrument can I use to save these files?  Are there CD's that hold that much space on them?  What's the next move?

Thanks
              You guys are the bomb!

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 09:21:39 AM »
              File sizes, you're reporting are confusing. What are those sizes again?
              What's the exact name of the folder, they're located in?
              When you right click on "backup" file, and click "Properties", what kind of info do you get?

2x3i5x

Expert
              « Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 10:40:59 AM »
              I assume Sher meant that he has a folder of 2 files that has a total file size of 2.5GB ...

And inside that said folder, he has a 1.1GB backup file and a 1.4GB restore backup file.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »
              That being said i would also consider buying a new HDD...the prices are great right now.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 04:47:42 PM »
              Until Sher posts back, I won't understand how 25,000+MB becomes 2.5GB, and 11+ kb becomes 1.1GB.

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »
                Okay, sorry about that but the folder is 24.6GB. Inside the folder it has a backup of 11,298,942 kb and  a restore backup of 14,523,148 kb.  Does that make sense?  You guys know it was a little late for me to be trying to do anything.
                 ???

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 09:45:25 PM »
                What's the exact name of the folder, they're located in?
                When you right click on "backup" file, and click "Properties", what kind of info do you get?

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 10:37:31 PM »
                  The name of the folder is "backup2."  The "backup folder is empty, don't ask why...

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  « Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 10:41:51 PM »
                  The "backup folder is empty
                  Inside the folder it has a backup of 11,298,942 kb and  a restore backup of 14,523,148 kb
                  Which one is it?

I feel like a dentist:

Quantos

Guru
                  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  • Experience: Guru
                  « Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 11:04:09 PM »
                  The name of the folder is "backup2."

This is the folder with the files :)
                  Evil is an exact science.

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  « Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 11:08:59 PM »
                  The "backup folder is empty
                  Is it empty, or it has two files?
                  Bed time...

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 11:13:36 PM »
                    In the "backup" folder I get  - Size 0 bytes, Size on disk 0 bytes, Contains 0 files, 0 folders. Created Wednesday May 6, 2009, 11:37... PM

The "backup 2" folder with the files was created the same day at 11:38...PM.  Go figure!

Now what?  Can I write to disk?  I have 700MB CDRW and CD Burner XP software.  What to do! What to do!  Computer sllloooow...

Broni

Mastermind
                      • Computer Help Forum
                    « Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 09:01:02 AM »
                    Oh, so we two folders, "backup", and "backup2"?

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 04:02:40 PM »
                      Am I not making myself clear?  I thought it was already established that there were two folders...
                      I have given specific information about "both" folders. 
                      I ran the tree software and those files in the "backup2" folder were the largest files on the computer.
                      Now I need to know what to do with the backup 2 folder...

Broni

Mastermind
                        • Computer Help Forum
                      « Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 04:53:02 PM »
                      One more time...
                      I mean file inside the folder.

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 08:49:12 PM »
                        There is nothing in the "backup folder. When I right click on the backup folder and go to properties, it says ZERO bytes of everything... I spelled it all out in the

The ony thing that seems strange is that it was created on the same day that backup2 was created around the same time...

I spell it all out in the post from June 25 @ 11:13...

Broni

Mastermind
                          • Computer Help Forum
                        « Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 08:57:29 PM »
                        it has a backup of 11,298,942 kb and  a restore backup of 14,523,148 kb
                        I want you to right click on the above FILES, not FOLDERS.

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2009, 02:28:30 AM »
                          This is what I get when I right click-properties on both files in the folder:

The first file is named: Backup

Type of file: Windows Backup

Size: 10.7 GB (11,570,116,608 bytes)

Size of disk: 10.7 GB (11,570,118,656 bytes)

Created: Wednesday, May 06, 2009, 11:39:17 PM

Modified:  Thursday, May 07, 2009, 1:07:26 AM

Accessed:  Today, June 27, 2009, 3:13:12 AM

The second file is named: Restore backup

Size:  13.8 GB (14,871,703,552 bytes)

Size of disk:  13.8 GB (14,871,703,552 bytes)

Created: Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 3:15:50 AM

Modified:  Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 8:50:05 AM

Accessed:  Today, June 27, 2009, 3:18:43 AM

Broni

Mastermind
                            • Computer Help Forum
                          « Reply #41 on: June 27, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
                          What are the extensions (three letters after "dot") of those two files?
                          Also, where are those two FOLDERS, "backup" (empty), and "backup" (with those two files) located?

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2009, 05:14:46 PM »
                            Both folders are located in My Documents (Backup and Backup 2).

Both files are located in C:\...My Documents\Owner\Backup 2.

Both files have extension .bkf:  Backup.bkf and Restore backup.bkf

Broni

Mastermind
                              • Computer Help Forum
                            « Reply #43 on: June 27, 2009, 06:39:20 PM »
                            Very good :)
                            .bkf file is regular WindowsXP Backup Utility Backup Set

Windows built in back up is more, or less worthless.
                            This is what I would do.
                            If computer is in good working condition, I would use one of the programs listed below to create nice, reliable backup, and I'd delete both "backup" folders:

Acronis True Image: http://www.acronis.com/ - not free, but the best

Free alternatives:
                            - Macrium Reflect: http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp (highly recommended)
                            - DriveImage XML: http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
                            - SelfImage: http://www.excelcia.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=21
                            - Paragon Drive Backup: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2009, 11:14:57 PM »
                              I am so glad that there was finally a solution to my problem!  Thank you so much I was getting a little nervous there for a while.

I downloaded macrium, but I didn't see any of the snapshot images it shows on the site that would help back up the computer. 
                              Once I ran it, it saved to my C drive, but how do you backup and save to disk.  I thought that a pop up screen would walk me through the process, but I must've missed something.

I kept clicking next and by the time I looked up, it had "downloaded successfully."  Do I need to uninstall and run it again? 
                              Sorry to be such a pain in the you know what...lol

Broni

Mastermind
                                • Computer Help Forum
                              « Reply #45 on: June 27, 2009, 11:31:06 PM »
                              I don't use Macrium personally, but I can see nice tutorial here: http://www.tipsfor.us/2008/10/17/ghost-windows-for-free-with-macrium-reflect-a-visual-guide/, and it shows, you have options, where to put the image:

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2009, 07:39:15 AM »
                                Thanks for sticking with me on this topic...I am going to try this as soon as I get back.  You have been more than great, even when I was getting beyond frustrated...I'll let you know what happens.  I haven't deleted the files yet, but they got to go! LOL
                                Talk to you soon and thanks again...

Broni

Mastermind
                                  • Computer Help Forum
                                « Reply #47 on: July 01, 2009, 09:07:08 AM »
                                You're welcome :)