Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: %temp%  (Read 22233 times)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: %temp%
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 06:22:39 PM »
Two more things, you can do is to reduce System Restore size: http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_restore.htm (last section), and get rid of hibernation file: http://www.tunexp.com/tips/maintain_your_computer/remove_hibernation_file/

Bobh

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 06:39:28 PM »
Multeay -
The problem Shea has sounds just like the problem I had.  You sent me to evilfantasy.  I felt sorry for him.  I am so dumb he had to tell me every step.  However he got rid of a virus which was on D drive and it cleared up my problem.  Could Shea have a virus that is filling the storage?   Bob

Mulreay

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 09:10:54 PM »
I don't think so to be fair we just need to find the files that are eating up storage space Bobh.

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 11:28:22 PM »
Check out one of these programs, it can analyze your computer to see what's eating up your pc's hard drive space...

1. Glary Utilities has a disk analysis built in, and free version is fine to use .... http://www.glaryutilities.com/

2. One of the programs listed on this website: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/04/30/find-out-what-files-and-folders-are-taking-up-hard-drive-spaces/

Mulreay

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 11:49:21 PM »
1. Glary Utilities has a disk analysis built in, and free version is fine to use .... http://www.glaryutilities.com/

This has ties to regcure so be careful and don't get a reg fix programme they are generally useless and especially in your situation.

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 11:54:01 PM »
This has ties to regcure so be careful and don't get a reg fix programme there useless and especially in your situation.

Mulreay, I list that program because it has the disk analyzer. That's the main part of the program that is the important part here. I didn't say anything about using the registry cleaning part of the program, nor does one need to be playing with the registry unless they got a real need to be touching it.

Mulreay

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 11:57:23 PM »
Sorry 2x3i5x It was not a slite on you but some people with less knowledge than ourselves can read the adverts and get drawn in by them. I just wanted to make sure that there was no reg curing going on. Again not against your link just trying to be informative.
As you can see from my post I said be careful not ignore it.

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 11:59:47 PM »
Sorry 2x3i5x It was not a slite on you but some people with less knowledge than ourselves can read the adverts and get drawn in by them. I just wanted to make sure that there was no reg curing going on. Again not against your link just trying to be informative.

Sorry Mulreay, I didn't mean to have directed that statement at you, it should be directed at original poster and whoever else would benefit from this information  and of course, people should be careful on that part, although I've not heard bad things about glary utilites, but still you should be careful when using any program that can change settings on your pc or something like that ;D

Anyhow, let's see what original poster (Sher) has done to this point, and whether or not he or she posts a response if interested in continuing on with  fixing the problem at hand  :)

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 01:08:27 AM »
    Hello all... I ran the treesize freeware and found the culprit!  I have a backup folder the size of the grand canyon (25,000+MB). 

There are 2 files in the folder (backup 11+ kb and restore backup14+ kb). 

Do I need both of them? What instrument can I use to save these files?  Are there CD's that hold that much space on them?  What's the next move?

Thanks
    You guys are the bomb!

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 09:21:39 AM »
    File sizes, you're reporting are confusing. What are those sizes again?
    What's the exact name of the folder, they're located in?
    When you right click on "backup" file, and click "Properties", what kind of info do you get?

2x3i5x

Expert
    « Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 10:40:59 AM »
    I assume Sher meant that he has a folder of 2 files that has a total file size of 2.5GB ...

And inside that said folder, he has a 1.1GB backup file and a 1.4GB restore backup file.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »
    That being said i would also consider buying a new HDD...the prices are great right now.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 04:47:42 PM »
    Until Sher posts back, I won't understand how 25,000+MB becomes 2.5GB, and 11+ kb becomes 1.1GB.

sher

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »
      Okay, sorry about that but the folder is 24.6GB. Inside the folder it has a backup of 11,298,942 kb and  a restore backup of 14,523,148 kb.  Does that make sense?  You guys know it was a little late for me to be trying to do anything.
       ???

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 09:45:25 PM »
      What's the exact name of the folder, they're located in?
      When you right click on "backup" file, and click "Properties", what kind of info do you get?