Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet connection problem  (Read 2952 times)

helpisneeded

Topic Starter

Starter

Internet connection problem
    « on: June 23, 2009, 09:57:11 AM »
    I am not a permanent member of this site but I am in desperate need of help so I came to ask a question. If no one wants to help that's fine, but I would like it if you would at least read this first before you decide not to respond.
    My name is Carrie and I am 15 years-old and I was using my mom's laptop downstairs just now, and I was on the internet. The laptop is Windows Vista, and is Dell. My mom uses it for her college work.
    I was on a strange website looking up cheatcodes for videogames when a pop up appeared saying that the computer was in danger of getting a virus from this website. I panicked a little and exited the pop up and another one came up shortly after with the option of 'Halt Internet Connection' or 'Cancel'. I was afraid of getting the virus so I cliked on 'Halt Internet Connection'. After I did this, a third pop up came  up saying that if I wanted to reconnect, all I had to do was go to the task bar on Internet explorer and click on 'Halt Internet Connection' again. So I searched for nearly an hour and never found that option. So, I started searching for all kinds of help on the computer help systems AND on the internet, but nothing was helping me because I wasn't able to ask specific questions like this.
    My mom REALLY needs this computer for college and I feel very bad for messing up her internet, but I didn't mean to. So if anyone can help me to reconnect to the Internet I would be really grateful. Please help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Internet connection problem
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »
    Install and run an antivirus on it...many of those sites are full of jack in the box type attacks.

The sites usually cant infect you unless you click on an action that although may say cancel "really means OK infect me to the computer"

These should help you if you can get them installed on that computer to clean up the mess.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

helpisneeded

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:32:17 PM »
      Thank you for replying, but I don't think you really understand what I'm saying. I cut off the internet connection, so it wasn't anything to do with the virus. I just clicked on that option because I was AFRAID of getting the virus. It disconnected my mom's laptop from the internet, and I don't know how to get it hooked back up is what I mean. I didn't get a virus on there . . . I think. I just need to reconnect the internet.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 04:02:19 PM »
      Carrie, I am no virus expert, but I think Dave is trying to tell you that you should try the virus scans, because something may have gotten hold of the computer which has interrupted the connection.  The idea is that if the virus, or whatever is there, can be removed, the connection should be restored -- or at least, that will be the first step toward restoring the connection.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »
        I agree with Aegis Carrie by clicking on that pop up you may have  let the virus on your computer I did the same thing and I got a nasty virus. so you may have gotten a virus thats one way of getting a virus on your computer. I know it sucks but it happens. I would go ahead and do what they say here they are really good here.

ireland-1

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 05:40:21 PM »
        It is a virus, it appears not be virus, but it sounds like it is, for example, their is a virus out-there called antivirus2008 now people install thinking it will prevent viruses on their computer but it is an actual virus.

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 01:45:09 AM »
        It is a virus, it appears not be virus, but it sounds like it is, for example, their is a virus out-there called antivirus2008 now people install thinking it will prevent viruses on their computer but it is an actual virus.
        You're not helping at all.

Carrie, rebooting the laptop should restore it's internet connection.  However, the safe thing to do is to install and run some good anti-virus software.
        Evil is an exact science.