Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PRINTER ERROR "UNSUPPORTED CARTRIDGE"  (Read 29370 times)

CSNAIL

Topic Starter

Starter

PRINTER ERROR "UNSUPPORTED CARTRIDGE"
    « on: June 27, 2009, 06:52:54 AM »
     Lexmark printer, IE.  I did search this site, and got zero results for "unsupported cartridge."   When I first installed the current cartridges (they are refills), they worked fine.  But now they won't work because they are "unsupported cartridges."  Is there a fix for this?   Thank you.  ???

Mulreay

Re: PRINTER ERROR "UNSUPPORTED CARTRIDGE"
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 08:17:05 AM »
    Lexmark printers can be very unreliable. This does happen when you use refills you may need to buy an original cartridge in store. Also you could try cleaning the copper contacts on the cartridge with an alcohol based cleanser and drying it off, re-seat and see how you get on.

Let us know how you get on

luck of the irish

Intermediate
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 09:57:15 AM »
    You could also try shaking them, that sometimes helps things but the recommendation of me is to buy new ones.

jimbo8098

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 10:01:41 AM »
      yeah we have a lexmark at home and they suck to be honest :) i would definately suggest cannon...

anyways i would also suggest buying a new crtridge even though they are a bit pricey :)

I am currently working for clicknetworks IT Support. Please feel free to visit our site at http://www.clicknetworks.co.uk

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 04:52:57 PM »
      CSNAIL, is the cartridge a Lexmark cartridge?  Did you refill it or buy a no-name cartridge?

You could also try shaking them

That's the worst suggestion that I've ever heard for that.  There's nothing like getting ink all over the place.

Evil is an exact science.

luck of the irish

Intermediate
      « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 05:50:34 AM »
      I was informed of this by a computer shop

Mulreay

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 05:53:29 AM »
      I was informed of this by a computer shop

What exactly?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      « Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 06:04:42 AM »
      i would definately suggest cannon...

As in, shoot the Lexmark out of?   ???

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

luck of the irish

Intermediate
      « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 06:06:43 AM »
      shaking the cartridge can help them to work again, because this happened before and I was told to do that.

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 06:12:42 AM »
      As in, shoot the Lexmark out of?   ???

It's like running around in a circle with kids that have had to much soda Aegis!

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 09:33:53 AM »
        CSNAIL, If you have not done anything yet you have a golden opportunity to resolve your problem in a manner that will ultimately provide a much more reliable (and potentially less expensive manner). One thing is currently certain--you are about to have to spend money to solve your problem How you spend it will determine your satisfaction level for the future. As has been stated Lexmark is notorious for inferior quality of it's printers. Most printer manufacturers practically give away their printers in order to make their money on ink cartridges. However there are things that the consumer can do to overcome their plan. Depending on the brand of printer you buy there are available cartridges that can be "reprogrammed and refilled" by the user. There are also available for some brands cartridges that never need to be reprogrammed and can also be refilled (they usually do not contain a "sponge" ) so the added advantage is that they never dry out--which is a common problem with the "sponge cartridges". My advice would be to purchase either an Epson.Brother,or Cannon printer. I can put you intouch with a retail ink/supplies for printers source that can help you to determine which printers are available for the methods i have previously suggested. I have no vested interests in this company other than as a satisfied user of their products. PM me for the info if required. However it will involve a commitment on your part to become more knowledgeable and do the refilling yourself in the future. Your 1st purchase of all the supplies needed will usually be less than the cost of original cartridge replacement for any printer.truenorth

luck of the irish

Intermediate
        « Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 09:59:28 AM »
        In my personal opinion I also like HP Printers, they are a very good make, and are reliable the only thing is that their ink is more expensive then canon.

CSNAIL

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 10:14:30 AM »
          Thanks, everyone for your advice.  I haven't given up on the Lexmark, yet.  I did try the cleaning the copper suggestion, and I even tried the shaking advice (once I figured out you meant shake the cartridge--not the printer; still, I have envisioned taking the printer to a paint store for a good shaking).  Shaking didn't help this cartridge, but there was no damage done, either.  I especially loved the advice about learning something everyday so you'll know everything after you're dead (It IS "you're," not "your").  I also enjoyed the banter; ya'll cracked me up.  Thank you.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »
          A good thing to do when shopping printers is to price out the replacement cartridges ahead of time...
          That's how i selected my last printer...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "