Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Memory/Motherboard probably overheating.  (Read 8348 times)

westom

Intermediate

Re: Memory/Motherboard probably overheating.
    « Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 04:29:17 PM »
    I'll go look for the MemTest bootCD, but I don't think using a blow dryer will be necessary. The memory's always hot, even when computer's idle.
      What you call hot is called freezing cold to semiconductors.  Is your memory so warm as to be uncomfortable to touch?  That is ideal semiconductor temperatures for testing.  Anything less means the failure must be worse to be found by Memtst.

Back in the early 60s, I built a 'box' with an op amp - my first Op amp design.  It got so hot as to worry me.  So I went to datasheets.  It did not leave skin - so it was not too hot.  Since then, semiconductors have become more robust.  For testing, you need it at least at 'hairdryer on highest heat' setting.  Warmer temperatures might detect more semiconductor problems.  But you don't need it warmer.  That hairdryer or a room at 100 degrees F should be sufficient to find an intermittent  memory defect.

luck of the irish

Intermediate
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 05:00:09 PM »
    what class was your Op-Amp? If you don't mind me asking

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 06:12:05 PM »
      what class was your Op-Amp?
      Class A.  Audio frequency.

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 06:30:56 PM »
      westom, what field of engineering are you in?
      Evil is an exact science.

luck of the irish

Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 08:08:33 AM »
      Class A.  Audio frequency.

Cool,  Class A is good.
      Quote from: Quantos

westom, what field of engineering are you in?

It would probably be either sound engineering or electronic engineering

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 02:32:26 PM »
      sound engineering

This is cool, I used to do audio for quite a few different artists.

Renderer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 12:51:07 AM »

AND THEN... a flurry of errors. this memory seems to be totally broken. It's amazing how I'm able to type and send this through this computer. (took me over 50 reboots to get windows AND firefox to load without the computer crashing/rebooting itself).
        http://yfrog.com/5jp1000767mjx

Note: none of the MemTest instances finished to 100%. Each picture refers to a different test, until it froze/crashed.

This solves my problem only partially. Hopefully, I'll get a memory that works, and hopefully it won't break down within a year and 2 months.

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 01:17:06 AM »
        This solves my problem only partially. Hopefully, I'll get a memory that works, and hopefully it won't break down within a year and 2 months.

Actually that could solve all of your issues.  If the failed RAM is causing contact resistence that would account for the heat build up that you are seeing in Remote for SpeedFan.
        Memory fails, sometimes it fails new from the manufacturer, sometimes it fails because it's old.  It's just something that we learn to live with.  Just make sure that the RAM you replace it with is a known brand - I prefer Kingston.

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 04:26:36 PM »
          Hopefully, I'll get a memory that works, and hopefully it won't break down within a year and 2 months.
            You have only *assumed* memory failure.  Failure could be interface drivers inside memory or the mating drivers on motherboard, or connections between both.  Those diagnostics only report the failure is not at a unique memory location.  And that all failures are somewhere between memory and motherboard electronics only on that one bit line.

Since memory has already been replaced, more likely is something else in that same circuit.  That is what selective temperature changes (in conjunction with the memory diagnostic) would report.

In another discussion, using the same diagnostic technique, that poster discovered a bent connector pin.  Would not have found it if not told to look only where the diagnostics pointed to look.

Just as likely to fail in two months is every other semiconductor inside that computer.  Solution is to find it with simple diagnostics.  That diagnostics even defines which memory contact and motherboard connector pin is involved in the failure.  Easier is to use heat; to discover which side of that connector is defective.

Renderer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 08:19:21 PM »
            After installing some mushkin ddr memory, I'm back to say that I am sending this message from the newly repaired computer.
            I did break a few fan blades here and there, but after almost a month of hiatus, the computer's working.

My assumption was right, it was the memory failing. I haven't checked the memory for failures, but at least I can boot the computer now. :D We'll see how long this new memory lasts. At least now I have lifetime warranty on it since it has mushkin warranty.

Just as likely to fail in two months is every other semiconductor inside that computer.  Solution is to find it with simple diagnostics.  That diagnostics even defines which memory contact and motherboard connector pin is involved in the failure.  Easier is to use heat; to discover which side of that connector is defective.
            So far, the memory is cool to the touch, which I find truly surprising. Your diagnosis might be right. I have not instelled heatsinks on them yet. (I have a pair of heatsinks unused.)

Thanks to everyone that gave me input and helped me diagnose the prob.

Note: DO NOT BUY FROM BZBOYZ.COM They sent me bad memory, failed to refund me, and I had to pay for return shipping. They refuse to refund the full cost of memory. I ended up getting my memory from newegg.com. They do not charge you for return shipping and have good service.