Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: startup 9 beeps possibly too cold  (Read 6274 times)

locopuyo

startup 9 beeps possibly too cold
« on: May 24, 2005, 03:07:31 PM »
When I start my computer up it beeps 9 times and the fans seem to be goign full speed, but nothing will show up on the monitor.  
If I just let it sit about 5 minutes like that then try again it will startup right away with no beeps and right after it starts up the fans slow down a little bit.
This all happens when the room is at a normal temperature.
When it is hot in my room, over 80 degrees, my computer always starts up right away.
I don't remember when it started doing this, or if I changed anything.  
I got a new case and power supply because I needed more power, it did the same thing when I had my old case too.
I have an intel 875pbz mother board,  with a P4 3ghz 800 fsb, 2gb dual channel ddr memory, 2 sata hdds, geforce fx 5900 ultra 256mb.  

merlin_2

Re: startup 9 beeps possibly too cold
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 03:19:37 PM »

locopuyo

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 03:22:06 PM »
"Indicates faulty BIOS chip(s). It is not likely that this error can be corrected by re-seating the chips. Consult the motherboard supplier or an AMI product distributor for replacement part(s)."

So is this still true even though it works sometimes?  :'(

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 03:29:41 PM »
run a diagnostics check if you can>>>http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

locopuyo

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 03:44:08 PM »
I downloaded that, so how do I run a diagnostics check?

locopuyo

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 03:50:09 PM »
I think I just did one, it ran a big test and gave me this really long report.  I looked through it and the only problem it found was my D hard drive only had 4 gb of hard drive space free.  But I know thats not the problem because I've had it about half free and the same problem still happened.  

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 04:07:50 PM »
do you hibernate this pc.........what happens if you do!there are two schools of thought........shutdown/hibernate.......strain on drives etc> if shutdown........>>hibernate power saving less strain on components.......have you built this pc?

locopuyo

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 04:10:45 PM »
Yeah, I built it.  I run xp pro on it, and a lot of times when i sleep, to avoid having to wait 10 minutes when i start up or because i'm downloading big files I leave it on.  I have it set to turn off the monitor after 10 minutes, but not the hard drives since I'm downloading.

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 04:37:17 PM »
have you overclocked this pc did you check the bios settings>>..http://www.buildyourowncomputer.net/step9.html......does the mouse/keyboard  num lock lights stay on when booting...maybe a graphics card fault......
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 04:41:10 PM by merlin_2 »

locopuyo

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 06:27:54 PM »
I never did any overclocking.  It might have to do with the video card.  I think it came lose or something once.  I'll try that.  I also tried reseting my bios to default.  But the same thing happend.  The only thing I have differnet from default is the agp aperature set to 256 mb.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 04:54:07 AM »
Why would you do that?

locopuyo

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 02:26:35 PM »
Why would you do that?

Because that is how much main memory is set aside for the video card to use.  Since I have a 256 mb video card I set that much up, it improves performance because then it doesn't need to reload things back into memory that it couldn't fit before.

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 02:58:27 PM »
Makes sense. However, mine is set to 64MB (I have an 128MB ATI Radeon 9000Pro) and I experience no difficulties with precaching.

Have you thought of setting this option to 64MB and see if you still experience problems?

locopuyo

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 04:05:04 PM »
Makes sense. However, mine is set to 64MB (I have an 128MB ATI Radeon 9000Pro) and I experience no difficulties with precaching.

Have you thought of setting this option to 64MB and see if you still experience problems?

Yeah I tried that, nothing really changes, other than lower performance in games.  Since I have 2GB of memory I can easily afford to have a 256 mb aperature.  What you should set it at depends on how much main memory your computer has and how much memory your video card has.  It will improve performance in games that use a lot of video memory if you have it the same or greater than how much memory your card has.  Otherwise there will be slight pauses once and a while in the game, where it has to get rid of what is in memory then load the new stuff.  However, only the newere games at very high settings will use up this much memory.  Such as Doom 3 when you set the textures really high, even my 256 mb card doesn't have enough memory for the highest texture settings, which require 512.