Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: This FTP program doesn't seem to want to work  (Read 3646 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
This FTP program doesn't seem to want to work
« on: June 28, 2009, 07:59:40 PM »
Thought I'd give it a try and see if one of the FTP programs might work any faster than right clicking each file in my file manager to backup.
Just tried downloading the FireFTP thing and it doesn't seem to want to work. I get this error
530-Your FTP session could not be opened.
530-If you continue to have problems, please visit:
530-http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/webhosting/gftp/
Unable to make a connection. Please try again.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: This FTP program doesn't seem to want to work
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:30:45 PM »
What OS and service pack are you running?
Evil is an exact science.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:48:21 PM »
Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 12:17:38 AM »
Thought I'd give it a try and see if one of the FTP programs might work any faster than right clicking each file in my file manager to backup.

Why are you trying to back up files with an FTP program?
Wouldn't good backup software work better?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »
Ever since I started creating websites the one thing I always keep trying to find out is how to back them up because of things I keep hearing about sites getting lost and stuff. Someone told me I need to use an FTP program. What would I use instead and where do I get it from?
Thanks,
Amy

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:42:51 PM »
Don't you keep copies of what you upload?

If you do then you don't need to back them up, you already have them.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 12:25:43 PM »
Most of the files I think I do have. The graphics especially, but they are saved to Floppy disks, which I know new computers now don't have them anymore. So, I would need to put them all to cd's anyways. Only other thing is for alot of the stuff I just found it easy enough to use the tools they give on sites to build the pages too. Not sure if they are stored someplace that I don't know about other than in file manager.
The only other question I sort of have is, do we have to register for a username at every website we go to on the Internet? The reason I'm trying to understand some of these things a bit better is like when you go to hotmail's website, it says stuff about how one Windows Live Id will allow you to do everything- here is what it says One Windows Live ID gets you into Hotmail, Messenger, Xbox LIVE — and other places you see

So, I'm trying to understand this, is it saying I can use the same Id for every site out there? Meaning that we don't have to signup for a username at every website we go to? That would be nice so I don't have to keep track of so many different usernames and passwords. With all the hacking going on too, then you have to keep track of any changes like passwords to accounts. I've had so many hotmail accounts of mine hacked and then I have to get a new one and then I lose all my contacts that are in my Address book and so many other things too. Which, would an FTP program be what I would need to backup like my address book/contact list and emails?
The other thing too is we are connected to the Internet all the time now too ever since switching from Earthlink Dialup to Bellsouth DSL. Both the modem and router are hooked to my computer and go out to my mom's which is in the Garage. We have it setup doing Wired. Both of us have our own emails that our Isp gave us. Then of course we both have hotmail accounts too.

Thanks,
Amy

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 05:33:56 PM »
For username and password, it is safest to use separate username/password combinations everywhere, but difficult to remember them all!  I tend to go for a small handful of fairly secure passwords.  Anything over eight characters long, easy (for you) to remember, but with a mixture of letters, numbers and symbols.  E.g. start with a simple word like "difference" and change it to "D!ff3r3nc3".
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos