Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: [Resolved] XP partition lost, can it be recovered?  (Read 4321 times)

Aardobard

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I fold as Aardobard
    [Resolved] XP partition lost, can it be recovered?
    « on: July 01, 2009, 08:16:08 AM »
    I've been playing "fun with partitions"  (| and I think I'm in over my head. Can I recover my XP partition and if so how would I go about it?

Situation:
    I have two physical disks. On my SATA drive I installed Windows XP. After that, I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on an old IDE drive. Next, I installed the first Win7 beta, also on the IDE drive. I then re-installed Ubuntu to repair GRUB.

Up to this point, everything is working fine. Through GRUB I can choose Ubuntu or Windows bootloader, and if I choose Windows, I have the option of Windows 7 or Older Windows (XP).

As you know the WIN7 beta is ending, so I installed WIN7 RC1 in the same spot, erasing the partition I was using for WIN7. In order to do this, I had to physically disconnect the SATA drive to avoid an error I was getting during install. The SATA drive is now reconnected.

At this time I can boot into WIN7 or Ubuntu, but XP is absent. If I physically disconnect the IDE drive, I get a GRUB error (error 22) and am forced to restart. Looking back, I could have predicted an issue with this latest change,  :-[ but it's done now. I'm mostly interested in this as a learning experience at this point.  ;)  All OS's are 64-bit.

Options, explanations and constructive scoldings are welcome.
    Thanks!

[Resolution:] Using the XP install CD, I chose the repair option which takes you to a command line. Typing 'help' displays the list of commands.  I chose fixboot which did not seem to affect anything and rebooted.  No change. I repeated the repair process, but chose this time fixmbr.  I was given warnings that I may lose all data and partitions on the disk, but agreed.  Again there was no immediate effect. On reboot, I was greeted with my Windows XP load screen and now I have a working XP partition.  Thanks to Patio for a great answer.
    « Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:20:36 PM by Aardobard »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: XP partition lost, can it be recovered?
    « Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 05:14:49 PM »
    I would simply use the BIOS to switch between which drive i wanted to boot to....
    Simple and clean.

If this solution does not work then you will have to boot to the XP CD and choose R in the first screen to enter the Recovery Console.
    This will load a command prompt screen...at the prompt type fixboot and hit Enter...
    Remove the CD and re-boot.
    If this does not work repeat the above except this time type fixmbr and hit Enter...
    Again remove the CD and re-boot...
    Keep us posted.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Aardobard

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I fold as Aardobard
      Re: XP partition lost, can it be recovered?
      « Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:13:16 PM »
      Resolved
      Patio,  that is exactly the right answer.  After repairing the XP installation using first fixboot with no discernible effect and then fixmbr I have my XP again!  Now I can change the boot order to get the OS I want as you suggested. Thanks!

One lesson down, 6 bazillion to go.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: [Resolved] XP partition lost, can it be recovered?
      « Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 10:07:47 PM »
      I'll be here...maybe not for all 6 bazillion though...

Glad to hear you are fixed up.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      Re: [Resolved] XP partition lost, can it be recovered?
      « Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:09:34 PM »
      I'll be here...maybe not for all 6 bazillion though...

Glad to hear you are fixed up.

Yes, glad to hear that you got it going.

You aren't that old yet patio, you should be here for those...   ;)
      Evil is an exact science.